Does anyone have a good stretch routine??

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
*kicks myself* so in the 4 years i've been lifting I've probably stetched about an hour. I've always really wanted to learn how to break dance haha, and to be honest I look like a fish flopping around on the ground I am so ****ing unflexible..does anyone have any good routines for increased flexibility/mobility?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
There is no one routine to help with flexibility. You need to know what parts of your body are tight and which are weak and work them accordingly. Look for the Functional Movement Screen and/or Pavel's flexibility program.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
just stretch the muscle groups you train. immediatly AFTER your workouts.
stretching before might "weaken" them. not actually weaken them but you want to have that spring still in ur muscles before you use them.

think of your muscles as taffy, when you stretch them they become a little looser and you wont be able to get your maximum workout in.

stretching after also increases your recovery rate, as well as light cardio after weight training. like 5 mins on a tred mill or sumtin like that.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Well Defranco sort of suggests some time post workout before stretches even after a nap, gunna look into the pavels

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
listen. youll get a better stretch when you have blood running through your muscles.

not saying its all that bad of a thing to stretch when you wake up, just try not to right before you train. you need that spring in your muscles.

it is ok to give your self a little stretch inbetween sets just to loosen up a bit. but i wouldnt hold a stretch longer than 4 secs. after a set

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Its fine to stretch before a session as long as you're doing some dynamic stretching/mobility after the static stretching.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
I hear the P90x stretch routine is good. Ive been meaning to check it out as i do not stretch enough either

Grimninja117

Grimninja117

Awards
I love using plymetrics or stretching targeted muscle groups in the sauna after my workouts. Makes me feel like a million bucks!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
there is no routine that u do stretches with bro... ive met some old school bodybuilders who say there stretches is benching 135 x 10 ive met some who use ice hot and do lateral raises with the cables for 5 x 25 to warm up all kinds of stuff.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
there is no routine that u do stretches with bro... ive met some old school bodybuilders who say there stretches is benching 135 x 10 ive met some who use ice hot and do lateral raises with the cables for 5 x 25 to warm up all kinds of stuff.
Are you really advocating no stretches whatsoever? Just because it worked for people back then doesn't mean it does now. We have a lot more forward posture issues today. We're stuck in seated positions, usually looking at something in front of us or in front and slightly down from us. The "old school" guys didn't have computers to sit at for hours on and and tighten up their pecs/hips.

You need to do stretches AND mobility work if you want to get the best functioning from your muscles and movements.

iDShaDoW

Awards
I hear the P90x stretch routine is good. Ive been meaning to check it out as i do not stretch enough either
I've been doing P90X with a friend who wanted to get some conditioning in since he's a lazy dude.

If you follow their routine, they actually have you do their stretching portion once a week. I've been considering doing it 3 times a week instead since my hamstring flexibility sucks.

The good thing about it is that it covers a lot of different areas and if you just follow along with the video you'll hit all the spots you need to.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing P90X with a friend who wanted to get some conditioning in since he's a lazy dude.

If you follow their routine, they actually have you do their stretching portion once a week. I've been considering doing it 3 times a week instead since my hamstring flexibility sucks.

The good thing about it is that it covers a lot of different areas and if you just follow along with the video you'll hit all the spots you need to.
Yeah i was planning on getting just the stretching routine and doing it maybe twice a week.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Well, Dante recommends extreme stretching (ya know, weighted) google DC training.

And, the P90X stretching takes about an hour, and I think it kicks ass! I've noticed less soreness/stiffness after sitting or standing long periods, and can move my arms more than I used to, because my shoulder flexibility sucked since I started lifting 4-5 years ago. If I don't wanna dedicate an hour I'll do some fast forwarding here and there.

Dunno if I'll be break dancing anytime soon, tho!!

You might be able to fine some clips online, or download a "torrent downloader" (I like bitcomet) download the entire P90X thing. Or the new Robin hood movie, for that matter.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Hahah the internet has great things to say about Pavel, however I can't seem to find a routine or an outlined plan without purchasing a book or a dvd...anyone have a plan? Yeah always wanted to try DC

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Hahah the internet has great things to say about Pavel, however I can't seem to find a routine or an outlined plan without purchasing a book or a dvd...anyone have a plan? Yeah always wanted to try DC
Try searching a little harder. Its called forced relaxation by pavel. Its out there, just need to find out where.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Are you really advocating no stretches whatsoever? Just because it worked for people back then doesn't mean it does now. We have a lot more forward posture issues today. We're stuck in seated positions, usually looking at something in front of us or in front and slightly down from us. The "old school" guys didn't have computers to sit at for hours on and and tighten up their pecs/hips.

You need to do stretches AND mobility work if you want to get the best functioning from your muscles and movements.
can you not read? where the hell did i advocate that? Dude has his pro card and his only warm up is squat on leg day bench on chest day deadlift on back day... Im sure he got his pro card by having forward posture...:fing02:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
can you not read? where the hell did i advocate that? Dude has his pro card and his only warm up is squat on leg day bench on chest day deadlift on back day... Im sure he got his pro card by having forward posture...:fing02:
You're right, you didn't advocate it. You didn't really advocate anything. Just told us of one guy who does something a certain way. Congrats on helping out the conversation.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
You're right, you didn't advocate it. You didn't really advocate anything. Just told us of one guy who does something a certain way. Congrats on helping out the conversation.
haha im guessing your one of those dbag personal trainers at a commerical gym? That thinks they know everything?

Read my entire first post dumbass, i stated that some people do indeed stetch out and some use the compound lifts such as bench squat dead with a light weight as a stretch...If that works for even ONE guy chances are it will work for someone else. I doubt the one guy i gave as in example is the only guy in the entire world who it works for. Your an idiot

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
Well, Dante recommends extreme stretching (ya know, weighted) google DC training.

And, the P90X stretching takes about an hour, and I think it kicks ass! I've noticed less soreness/stiffness after sitting or standing long periods, and can move my arms more than I used to, because my shoulder flexibility sucked since I started lifting 4-5 years ago. If I don't wanna dedicate an hour I'll do some fast forwarding here and there.

Dunno if I'll be break dancing anytime soon, tho!!

You might be able to fine some clips online, or download a "torrent downloader" (I like bitcomet) download the entire P90X thing. Or the new Robin hood movie, for that matter.
I've had good success doing the DC training stretches. Just can't do some of them weighted as suggested...yet.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
haha im guessing your one of those dbag personal trainers at a commerical gym? That thinks they know everything?

Read my entire first post dumbass, i stated that some people do indeed stetch out and some use the compound lifts such as bench squat dead with a light weight as a stretch...If that works for even ONE guy chances are it will work for someone else. I doubt the one guy i gave as in example is the only guy in the entire world who it works for. Your an idiot
I read your post again and again. Here ya go:

You didn't anywhere in there talk about a stretching routine. You said there is no routine that u do stretches with bro. You were talking about warmups. Maybe you think a warmup and stretching is the same thing. Its not.

And yes, I'm one of those dbags at a commercial gym. Actually, no I'm not. I don't train at a commercial gym nor do I train anyone at a commercial gym. I work with athletes that are concerned with performance. Failure to stretch reduced performance in most people. Sure there are some exceptions but they are not the rule. Most people need to stretch regularly to keep muscles at optimal length and function.

Also, thank you for resorting to name calling instead of trying to explain your point. Makes you sound very intelligent. I look forward to your words of wisdom in the future.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I read your post again and again. Here ya go:

You didn't anywhere in there talk about a stretching routine. You said there is no routine that u do stretches with bro. You were talking about warmups. Maybe you think a warmup and stretching is the same thing. Its not.

And yes, I'm one of those dbags at a commercial gym. Actually, no I'm not. I don't train at a commercial gym nor do I train anyone at a commercial gym. I work with athletes that are concerned with performance. Failure to stretch reduced performance in most people. Sure there are some exceptions but they are not the rule. Most people need to stretch regularly to keep muscles at optimal length and function.

Also, thank you for resorting to name calling instead of trying to explain your point. Makes you sound very intelligent. I look forward to your words of wisdom in the future.
so what would u call swinging around indian clubs before benching are you warming up to lift or are the clubs stretching you out to lift? Some of the guys at Elitefts dont stretch what so ever they go straight to light benching and get up to working sets, some of them do 30 minutes of stretching.. all im saying is some people need the bare minumum to get stretched out, such as light set of bench to warm there shoulders up. Is that what ur degree taught you? probably not. But thats reality. One of the lifters on our PL group benches elbows out bodybuilding style he starts his workouts bench 225 with his feet up, if he feels thats stretching him out then thats his "stretch routine" then you gonna tell a guys whos in his 30s repping 405 at 205 that he needs to stretch i dont think so... You think everyone in the NFL stretches b4 games ? ha u know how many of them bull**** run a couple laps and there stertched enough for the games? ALOT. Just because you learn something doesnt mean its right, so like i said to the OP you gotta find what works for u it could be a ton of stretching or it could just be some simple sets of a compuond exercise that gets u stretched out to get ready to lift. either way theres no set routine.

funkd0c

funkd0c

Awards
  • Established
so what would u call swinging around indian clubs before benching are you warming up to lift or are the clubs stretching you out to lift? Some of the guys at Elitefts dont stretch what so ever they go straight to light benching and get up to working sets, some of them do 30 minutes of stretching.. all im saying is some people need the bare minumum to get stretched out, such as light set of bench to warm there shoulders up. Is that what ur degree taught you? probably not. But thats reality. One of the lifters on our PL group benches elbows out bodybuilding style he starts his workouts bench 225 with his feet up, if he feels thats stretching him out then thats his "stretch routine" then you gonna tell a guys whos in his 30s repping 405 at 205 that he needs to stretch i dont think so... You think everyone in the NFL stretches b4 games ? ha u know how many of them bull**** run a couple laps and there stertched enough for the games? ALOT. Just because you learn something doesnt mean its right, so like i said to the OP you gotta find what works for u it could be a ton of stretching or it could just be some simple sets of a compuond exercise that gets u stretched out to get ready to lift. either way theres no set routine.
:eek:fftopic:

Arguing on the internet is about as useful as a bicycle is to a fish.

With that said, OP, there are many stretch routines in the world. It all depends on your goals. For instance, if your goal is bodybuilding then i believe in the DC method of extreme stretching. It helps to loosen and stretch the facia over the muscle creating more "room" for the blood to move into the muscle creating faster gains in strength and size.. I don't know much about Pavel or his flexability program. So I can't speak on that. But, I'm sure it's probably useful. Arnold talked a lot about stretching, he gave it credit for bettering his proportions and making his movements between poses smoother, giving his body a more refined look instead of just massive bulk.

But, for serious stretching, Yoga is what i consider by far the hardest and the most beneficial for overall health. Bikhram yoga is a class given in a 105 degree room that last for 90 min. You will not find a more intense stretch ROUTINE. It also does wonders for the CNS. Some olympians swear by it.

As for basic stretching, it's much better and EASIER to stretch when you have plenty of blood flowing in your muscles. :) But, stretching in general is great for your overall health and well being.

Hope that helps.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
There is no one routine to help with flexibility. You need to know what parts of your body are tight and which are weak and work them accordingly. Look for the Functional Movement Screen and/or Pavel's flexibility program.
precisely. i say stretch tight muscles when the hypomobility is interfering with functional activites.. like wiping your a**... :lol:

and, obviously, use resistance exercise on weak muscles

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
But, for serious stretching, Yoga is what i consider by far the hardest and the most beneficial for overall health.

But, stretching in general is great for your overall health and well being.
i agree to an extent... being too hypermobile will lead to arthritic problems down the road

OP, i recommend stretching to maintain function and normal range of motion but too much mobility is unecessary unless you are a gymnist and will consequently develop arthritis at a younger age

i spend about 5 minutes stretching the specific muscles i trained that session (no fancy stuff just gradual static stretching and hold 20-30 seconds) AFTER a workout when the muscle bellies are engorged with blood and tissue extensibility is increased, just to maintain my functional range of motion and to continue to be able to put my socks on in the morning...

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
:eek:fftopic:

Arguing on the internet is about as useful as a bicycle is to a fish.

With that said, OP, there are many stretch routines in the world. It all depends on your goals. For instance, if your goal is bodybuilding then i believe in the DC method of extreme stretching. It helps to loosen and stretch the facia over the muscle creating more "room" for the blood to move into the muscle creating faster gains in strength and size.. I don't know much about Pavel or his flexability program. So I can't speak on that. But, I'm sure it's probably useful. Arnold talked a lot about stretching, he gave it credit for bettering his proportions and making his movements between poses smoother, giving his body a more refined look instead of just massive bulk.

But, for serious stretching, Yoga is what i consider by far the hardest and the most beneficial for overall health. Bikhram yoga is a class given in a 105 degree room that last for 90 min. You will not find a more intense stretch ROUTINE. It also does wonders for the CNS. Some olympians swear by it.

As for basic stretching, it's much better and EASIER to stretch when you have plenty of blood flowing in your muscles. :) But, stretching in general is great for your overall health and well being.

Hope that helps.
its not off topic at all ? My understanding was the OP wanted to know a stretching routine to use before lifting. I was just saying there is nothing specific you can do, its up too you and what you feel is best. Thats all, i mean i wish there was a certain routine i could do to stretch out b4 lifting but theres not you have to stretch more, sometimes less and use various techniques.. I still dont see how doing light, slow sets of bench for instance cant be considered stretching? but whatever.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get a foam roller and tennis ball and do some mayofacial release pre workout along with some ballistic stretching and do static stretching after your workout. When I stretch I tend to focus alot on my hip mobility as they are the tightest but I gernerally do full body stretches. Yoga is good aswell.. P90 had a good stretch and yoga DVDs if you wanna try them and see what works for you and try and incorporate your ownroutinethat qorkds for you

1newbie

Awards
Bikram Yoga - Yes, I know it sounds gay and that's what I thought. A bunch of soccer moms laying on mats. Well, my gf conned me into going and it was the only time in my 30 years of sports, motorcycle racing, BB, etc. that I ever passed out. I was sore as hell for a week afterwards and felt like electricity coursing through my veins. Amazing feeling. Difficult to explain until you have actually done it. Bikram is WAY different than normal yoga. Also burns about 1000 calories so good for your 'off' day.

funkd0c

funkd0c

Awards
  • Established
Bikram Yoga - Yes, I know it sounds gay and that's what I thought. A bunch of soccer moms laying on mats. Well, my gf conned me into going and it was the only time in my 30 years of sports, motorcycle racing, BB, etc. that I ever passed out. I was sore as hell for a week afterwards and felt like electricity coursing through my veins. Amazing feeling. Difficult to explain until you have actually done it. Bikram is WAY different than normal yoga. Also burns about 1000 calories so good for your 'off' day.
That's what I said 3 months ago. Bikram is the shiznite! Phenominal overall total body an mind workout. Been preaching this since o joined AM

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
stretch by all means! use a foam roller and roll on your IT band and all that good stuff. just google it and you will get tons of information about how to properly stretch. like someone else already said, a tennis ball is great for streatching your infraspinatus, piriformis, and peroneals. kneeling RF/TFL stretches are great also along with cradle walks.If you want to breakdance, you must work on your mobility. best of luck!