Does one account for the other... ?

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
I'm trying to figure something out. I've been doing a body split 5x5 routine and today's routine looked like this.

Squats
135x15 warm up, 245x5, 315x5, 315x5, 315x5, 225x5(gassed the f out)

Deadlifts
245x5, 275x5, 275x5, 275x5, 315x5 (yeah, i was being a ***** about deads today and did 3 sets of 275 cause my back took forever to get going and i got too pumped in my lowerback to go heavy)

thaaaaan just 100 reps of single calf presses of 120 lbs. not in a row in 4 sets of 25.

Question is the volume for today's workout was disappointingly low but i feel so taxed obviously for doing heavy squats and semi heavy deads.

Does the use of heavy weight make up for lack of volume is my basic question. If anyone has a good 5x5 workout (pref. in a split) I'd love to get a copy.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I would say definitely yes....and doesnt even look like low volume..anymore and seems like it would be overkill. I'd be dead from that workout

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Volume meaning total reps, heavy weight does not make up for as much volume as you would think, hence 3x10 and 5x5.

Personally I would look into strong lifts and look at starting strength as a reference, I believe in adding in dropsets to 3x5s rather than just doing 3x5s or 5x5s without dropsets.
Seeing as though this is in excercise science, I will post the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15574075