Workout TIME?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.77%

Workout TIME?

ok ok so i know your supposed to get in and get out of the gym as fast as possible. but what about the football players that have 2 a day practices?
    MMA fighters you workout for 3 or more hours a day?

whats up with this?

im currently doing alot of calisthenics and minor weights to get more cut. ive been only working out for no more than an hour. will it be safe to push my work outs longer? maybe some calistenics then go for a run afterwards?

let me hear it guys.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.66%

Diet will get you more cut, not more pushups.

Also, you'll be fine if you go over an hour, your muscle doesn't start to degrade at some magical time point.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.77%

hmmm. ive learned that if you dont "refuel" your muscles within an hour after working out your muscles will start to become catabolic?
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.91%

Intra workout supplement or time released BCAA's might help extend your workout.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.74%

Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    Diet will get you more cut, not more pushups.
    Currently completing Precision Nutrition Certification 1
    So you're in the Precision Nutrition program and you don't believe in G-flux? That's odd...
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.77%

and i was also thinking of the military. they push our guys way past an hour a day with training. especially the seals and they all explode after their basic training.

??
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i try to keep it under an hour. im exhausted by that point anyway. but somewhere between the 45 minute mark to 1-1/2 hour mark cortisol comes into play and thats not your friend
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.77%

then what allows mma fighters and military to totally disregard this information? i know they know about it
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.74%

Quote Originally Posted by ambulldog View Post
    somewhere between the 45 minute mark to 1-1/2 hour mark cortisol comes into play and thats not your friend
    Those studies are based on doing the same thing the entire time. G-Flux is based on working different energy systems; Max-Strength, Speed Strength, Endurance, etc. If you don't know what it is, this will give you a basic understanding.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.77%

ok ive read this long article. lol
    and what i got from it is your supposed to make sure your getting in a ****load of clean calories. and during your workout weeks switch it up. from stretches to speed training to strength, and others.

and in doing so you will gain more energy as the months role by?

key is not to stress one energy system 2 long.
  11. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fires View Post
    ok ok so i know your supposed to get in and get out of the gym as fast as possible. but what about the football players that have 2 a day practices?
    MMA fighters you workout for 3 or more hours a day?

whats up with this?

im currently doing alot of calisthenics and minor weights to get more cut. ive been only working out for no more than an hour. will it be safe to push my work outs longer? maybe some calistenics then go for a run afterwards?

let me hear it guys.
    You forget how much these athletes eat (before, during AND after training). Trust me, when I was doing 2-a-day (even only just ONE daily) training sessions (anywhere from 1-6 hours), I was eating well in excess of 10,000 calories per day. You canNOT compare what you are trying to achieve with what these athletes are doing, as THEY are not training to lose bodyfat, but to IMPROVE SPORTS PERFORMANCE!

As for YOU, whether you want to go longer is up to you, but IMO, it's not necessary if your nutrition is spot on for fat loss. If you're not consuming enough calories or you exercise too much, then you WILL become catabolic and lose muscle along with fat.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
    Those studies are based on doing the same thing the entire time. G-Flux is based on working different energy systems; Max-Strength, Speed Strength, Endurance, etc. If you don't know what it is, this will give you a basic understanding.
    understood. i was referring to just weight training
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.77%

so you think 45min-1hour resistance training and around 30 mins of cardio would be considered using G-flux.

and to not become catabolic you would need to get the right cals. and protien?
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.02%

As for the two a days for football players.... We used to eat ass tons of good calories throughout the day to replace what we lost during the day. So 6-8 hours of intense practice was more of a mental war, than physical. Dont get me wrong, it sucked ass, but I always felt like I had enough calories to make it... Also the majority of football players come into fall carrying a bit more wieght than usual in annticipation of the hell that is about to endure...Kind of like a bear preparing for hibernation!...
    As of late, I workd out about an 1 hour n a half 4-5 days a week focusing on only 15-20 mins of cardio a session...This works for me and I of course vary my routine, calories and such...Everyone is diff, metabolisms and body types all determine how you should lift and the trick is finding what works for you...Good luck man and keep pumping brotha!
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.74%

if its just weight training hold it under 1 hr 15m. studies that I have read thats when the **** hits the fan. For training like Crossfit (G-Flux) (this is also how the military and most athletes, mma, ect. train!) you can go beyond that time frame. Waxy maize and BCAA intra workout will also help alot.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.66%

What does Crossfit or pushups or nutrition have to do with workout time? I stand by my belief that working out past the 1 hour mark will not cause any problems, provided you're getting enough food. Whole, nutritious food with lots of fruits, veggies and lean meats. Its much harder to overtrain if you're getting a diet high in vitamins and minerals from foods while keeping your PRAL scores in the alkaline range. The problem is, people start eating refined grains and other calorie dense foods because its harder than eating a ton of nutrient dense food. Eating is a workout in itself, and many people can't consume what they need for optimal performance.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.66%

And I'm a fan of G-Flux, just not for the general population. Precision Nutrition has none of the G-Flux principles, however.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.77%

i agree with you nutrition is a MAJOR factor. and some people just cant get in enough.

i just want tofind a way to have decent muscle and great cardio without the slim cardio looking body,(if tha makes sense)

i enjoy haveing a strong heart. it makes you very comfortable in all situations, but it seems as though i have to chose, bigger fuller muscles, or stronger heart.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Indianballer's *off-time* workout log
    By indianballer in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 12:25 AM
  2. What time do you workout and why?
    By flobot in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 06:16 PM
  3. what time of day is it best to workout?
    By musclemark00 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM
  4. best time to workout?
    By lightemup in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 12:02 PM
  5. workout time lengths
    By kmac6225 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 05:12 PM