How long of a rest between sets?

  1. Registered User
    DB21's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    96

    How long of a rest between sets?


    How long of a rest do I take between sets if I'm trying to get big?

  2. Registered User
    Jake Fires's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Easley,SC
    Age
    26
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    336

    endurance about 30-45 secs
    hypertrophy 1min
    Power- even longer i wanna say 2 mins but i might be wrong.
  3. Registered User
    EustisPanther's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    268

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fires View Post
    endurance about 30-45 secs
    hypertrophy 1min
    Power- even longer i wanna say 2 mins but i might be wrong.
    This is pretty standard , reps.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    jaydollars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,436
    Rep Power
    27388

    Quote Originally Posted by DB21 View Post
    How long of a rest do I take between sets if I'm trying to get big?
    Rest 5 to 10 minutes between sets, look at the girls, talk to your friends, sip your cell-tech...then do another set

    That is how you get huge!!!!!
  5. Registered User
    forsure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fires View Post
    endurance about 30-45 secs
    hypertrophy 1min
    Power- even longer i wanna say 2 mins but i might be wrong.

    Your right, Let me show a article i found online.


    When was the last time you were in the gym and you watched the average guy time his recovery with a stop watch? Stop watches are not just for endurance athletes but should be used by every person who is serious about building big muscles.

    Generally, the closer you lift to your one rep max, the longer the rest period and the higher the number of reps, the shorter the rest period. This is a crucial variable, which is often overlooked, yet will determine whether you create the correct training response.

    For example, if you are training for maximal strength which requires at least 3-5 minutes rest between sets and you are only taking 2 minutes, you are not giving your nervous system an honest workout. If you are training for muscle size which requires shorter 30-90 second style recoveries but are gazing at the cute girl on the elliptical letting your rest periods carry over these ranges, you are not giving your metabolic system an honest workout.

    Lastly, how do you know if you are truly stronger if you do not monitor your rest period? For example, letís say last week you bench pressed 135 pounds for four sets of ten. This week you bench pressed 145 pounds for four sets of ten. Assuming the rest period was identical for both workouts, this is a tremendous improvement and a measurable sign of improvement! However, what if you took an extra minute or two between each set on the recent workout? This means that you did not actually become stronger. You just had a longer rest period!
  6. Registered User
    Pinky355's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    For me,
    60 secs between sets but 90 secs on squats, deadlift and power shrugs. 2 mins rest between different exersizes and always timed off the clock. If I dont keep track then I cant really compare sessions for true improvement as the intensity will be different if training over different timeframes.
  7. Registered User
    JamieOleBoy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    60

    Good read, always been curious about this
  8. Registered User
    DB21's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    96

    Quote Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Your right, Let me show a article i found online.


    When was the last time you were in the gym and you watched the average guy time his recovery with a stop watch? Stop watches are not just for endurance athletes but should be used by every person who is serious about building big muscles.

    Generally, the closer you lift to your one rep max, the longer the rest period and the higher the number of reps, the shorter the rest period. This is a crucial variable, which is often overlooked, yet will determine whether you create the correct training response.

    For example, if you are training for maximal strength which requires at least 3-5 minutes rest between sets and you are only taking 2 minutes, you are not giving your nervous system an honest workout. If you are training for muscle size which requires shorter 30-90 second style recoveries but are gazing at the cute girl on the elliptical letting your rest periods carry over these ranges, you are not giving your metabolic system an honest workout.

    Lastly, how do you know if you are truly stronger if you do not monitor your rest period? For example, letís say last week you bench pressed 135 pounds for four sets of ten. This week you bench pressed 145 pounds for four sets of ten. Assuming the rest period was identical for both workouts, this is a tremendous improvement and a measurable sign of improvement! However, what if you took an extra minute or two between each set on the recent workout? This means that you did not actually become stronger. You just had a longer rest period!
    Thank you very much.

    Interesting article, thanks for the advice.
  9. Jet
    Jet is offline
    Registered User
    Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    257

    I'm not sure why short rest periods are required for hypertrophy from a physiologic standpoint. Since nearly all weightlifting activities (at least all the rep schemes suggested on this board) are limited to the phos****en energy systems and the glycolytic energy system to a limited extent (if getting into the higher rep schemes), aerobic metabolism doesn't come into play as an energy provider. Longer rest periods allow the phos****en system to resynthesize ATP (the energy currency of the body) using creatine phosphate, allowing more weight to be lifted during the next set. Muscular strength is directly related to cross sectional area of muscle (size), so allowing adequate rest to maintain a high intensity (in terms of weight lifted) seems more important than short rest periods. A short rest period limits the amount of weight lifted by limiting the recovery of the phos****en energy system, and therefore limits optimal force output and muscle hypertrophy. If anybody could explain the reasoning behind short sets, I'd be happy to hear it.

    EDIT: Not sure why the board is editing p*h*o*s*p*h*a*g*e*n*
  10. Registered User
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In your house, taking your superdrol
    Posts
    4,253
    Rep Power
    3297

    2-5 minutes is what i use. Walk around, sip some intra or water, get your breath back...etc
  11. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    45-60 seconds for max hypertrophy
    3 mins, complete ATP restoration aka strength and powerlifting.

    For me, I feel my body out. It tells me when to go. Sometimes sooner than others.

    This is my bodys' world, my brain's just living in it.
  12. Jet
    Jet is offline
    Registered User
    Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    257

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    45-60 seconds for max hypertrophy
    3 mins, complete ATP restoration aka strength and powerlifting.
    My argument is that max hypertrophy is achieved by lifting more weight, not by hindering your ability to perform at the highest intensity possible by limiting rest.
  13. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    While resting longer accrues more ATP to be replenished, a shorter rest period forces more fibers to be used to complete the lift, rather than relying on ATP as your energy source.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,076
    Rep Power
    918000

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    While resting longer accrues more ATP to be replenished, a shorter rest period forces more fibers to be used to complete the lift, rather than relying on ATP as your energy source.
    Not necessarily. All fibers contract at the same time (it's called the "all or none principle). Shorter rest periods accumulate more lactic acid and that's about it. ATP is the energy source regardless of the type of training and only the energy system changes.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Not necessarily. All fibers contract at the same time (it's called the "all or none principle). Shorter rest periods accumulate more lactic acid and that's about it. ATP is the energy source regardless of the type of training and only the energy system changes.
    Ok.

    Why is it assumed that a shorter (1 min) rest period is better for hypertrophy rather than a longer (3 minute) rest period? Is it hearsay?
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,076
    Rep Power
    918000

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Ok.

    Why is it assumed that a shorter (1 min) rest period is better for hypertrophy rather than a longer (3 minute) rest period? Is it hearsay?
    There's your answer.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Registered User
    Eric160's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    728
    Rep Power
    497

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    I'm not sure why short rest periods are required for hypertrophy from a physiologic standpoint. Since nearly all weightlifting activities (at least all the rep schemes suggested on this board) are limited to the phos****en energy systems and the glycolytic energy system to a limited extent (if getting into the higher rep schemes), aerobic metabolism doesn't come into play as an energy provider. Longer rest periods allow the phos****en system to resynthesize ATP (the energy currency of the body) using creatine phosphate, allowing more weight to be lifted during the next set. Muscular strength is directly related to cross sectional area of muscle (size), so allowing adequate rest to maintain a high intensity (in terms of weight lifted) seems more important than short rest periods. A short rest period limits the amount of weight lifted by limiting the recovery of the phos****en energy system, and therefore limits optimal force output and muscle hypertrophy. If anybody could explain the reasoning behind short sets, I'd be happy to hear it.

    EDIT: Not sure why the board is editing p*h*o*s*p*h*a*g*e*n*
    its because it says P*H*A*G in the middle
  18. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    There's your answer.
    I was thinking that. It's precisely why I worded it that way.
  19. Registered User
    chocolatemilk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,804
    Rep Power
    9972

    Very good thread and points made.. learned very useful stuff
  20. Registered User
    BoundToSteel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville Ky
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    61

    I personally like 30-45 sec rest. Higher intensity for me. Jay Cutler is the same way, but big Ronnie likes longer so rest periods imo don't need to be super long but are not as critical as say over all intensity, how hard you actually push is much more important. I stay in top gear when I only rest 30 sec but when I rest say 2 min I can lift more weight so there are pros to both...
  21. Registered User
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In your house, taking your superdrol
    Posts
    4,253
    Rep Power
    3297

    Quote Originally Posted by BoundToSteel View Post
    I personally like 30-45 sec rest. Higher intensity for me. Jay Cutler is the same way, but big Ronnie likes longer so rest periods imo don't need to be super long but are not as critical as say over all intensity, how hard you actually push is much more important. I stay in top gear when I only rest 30 sec but when I rest say 2 min I can lift more weight so there are pros to both...
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  22. Banned
    deadaim's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    891
    Rep Power
    0

    The way I see it, the more rest I get between sets, the better my sets are.

    Since I believe muscle growth (in relation to weight lifting) is obtained through, reps + weight + time under tension + ROM. If more rest allows me to do those things better, then im benefiting.
  23. Registered User
    bigdave's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Newark NJ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    149

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Not necessarily. All fibers contract at the same time (it's called the "all or none principle). Shorter rest periods accumulate more lactic acid and that's about it. ATP is the energy source regardless of the type of training and only the energy system changes.
    All or none principle applies to indivdiual motor units not whole muscle
  24. Registered User
    Fatal Wisdom's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New yawk
    Age
    26
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    273

    I was under the impression that it's all about what your body responds to.. I don't grow much from 10-12 rep range, just don't. I grow most from a 5-7, a heavier weight, so a longer rest period is required. Also, shorter rest periods I'd only use if I was trying to burn fat..I don't think there is a golden guideline to how long builds the most muscle
  25. Registered User
    jontrainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    130

    when i use rest/pause method i get super soar and i feel pumped all week but does this actually mean my muscles will grow?
  26. Registered User
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York NY
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251875

    I follow the DC recommended 30-45 seconds or an 15 even breaths. Enough to allow muscle fibers to regenerate some ATP but not too long as to allow cellular membrane potentials to relax.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  27. Registered User
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York NY
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251875

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fires View Post
    endurance about 30-45 secs
    hypertrophy 1min
    Power- even longer i wanna say 2 mins but i might be wrong.
    In my observations powerlifters (and linebackers who resemble brick walls) tend to take their rest period between 1-2 minutes. It's kind of based on your physical performance goals. Obviously a track runner wouldn't wait 2min between sets and a OT wouldn't give it 15sec.

    Someone else mentioned how you begin to "feel it out." 100% true. You'll know when you're ready, just don't hesitate to act on it.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  28. Registered User
    Jake Fires's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Easley,SC
    Age
    26
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    336

    the real key is to "FATIGUE" the muscle fibers. if your doing lifts that are tough and you pump out enough reps, it should be really hard to get the last of the reps out. say your doing 4 sets 10 reps. your reps should look like this,
    10-10-8-6 or close to that without breaking proper form.

    if form is broken the weight is truely too much for u. you should feel unable to get the weight up not a struggle type thing.

    say your benching, last rep last few sets, one arm is pushing the weight up faster than your other arm. STOP! rackem up ur done. that weight is too much man. especially if this is on your 1st or 2nd set.
  29. Registered User
    Jake Fires's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Easley,SC
    Age
    26
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    336

    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
    In my observations powerlifters (and linebackers who resemble brick walls) tend to take their rest period between 1-2 minutes. It's kind of based on your physical performance goals. Obviously a track runner wouldn't wait 2min between sets and a OT wouldn't give it 15sec.

    Someone else mentioned how you begin to "feel it out." 100% true. You'll know when you're ready, just don't hesitate to act on it.
    well if your power lifting your using up alot of ATp on a count of the dominant energy system your using (ATP-PC). this then will turn to ADP (adenosine phosphate) the long rest gives the power lifters cells to reconnect more creatine phosphate to those ADP molecules to make more ATP. they do take longer rest than 1 min. 1 min is simply too short of a time for a power lifter. what arent they lifting what 80-90% of 1rm or something like that?
  30. Registered User
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York NY
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251875

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fires View Post
    well if your power lifting your using up alot of ATp on a count of the dominant energy system your using (ATP-PC). this then will turn to ADP (adenosine phosphate) the long rest gives the power lifters cells to reconnect more creatine phosphate to those ADP molecules to make more ATP. they do take longer rest than 1 min. 1 min is simply too short of a time for a power lifter. what arent they lifting what 80-90% of 1rm or something like that?
    Great point. They run through the same reserves much quicker - if you did the math and physics it might even be more. Regardless their cells are hardwired to expend all of it in shorter bursts of anaerobic exercise. They tap into the creatine waaay before we do.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  31. Registered User
    Mongo97's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  244 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    283

    as it has already been said endurance is 0-30
    hyper-45 sec-1.5 min I stay at 1 min
    strength/power-3 to 5 min to get fully recovered and atp levels restored
  32. Registered User
    NCAA68's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Age
    30
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    200

    On my power days I go when I feel ready, lots of factors not being addressed, whats the temperature of the gym, is the AC on? What exercize am I doing and how far into my workout am I. I really only time my rests on my cutting workouts, and thats more of a cardio feel I want to get. After enough workouts you'll know when your ready for your next set.

    Another idea is your intensity/adrenaline ebbs and flows in a matter of seconds as well, take a little time to stare at the weight and get yourself pumped, get angry at it if you have to.
  33. Registered User
    triton185's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    433
    Rep Power
    366

    Quote Originally Posted by NCAA68 View Post
    On my power days I go when I feel ready, lots of factors not being addressed, whats the temperature of the gym, is the AC on? What exercize am I doing and how far into my workout am I. I really only time my rests on my cutting workouts, and thats more of a cardio feel I want to get. After enough workouts you'll know when your ready for your next set.

    Another idea is your intensity/adrenaline ebbs and flows in a matter of seconds as well, take a little time to stare at the weight and get yourself pumped, get angry at it if you have to.
    Listen to the BIG brotha!! Seriously, if you are lifting heavy and low reps, I could not imagine resting less that 3 or 4 minutes. When I was doing a power lifting routine back in the day, I had to have 5 minutes! It is just night and day between 3 rep sets and 10. At 3 reps, you gotta have your mind right and a little rest or you are going to fail.....because 3 rep set are intense.

    I do mainly 8 to 12 reps now a days and don't rest but a couple of minutes between sets.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. rest between sets and bench press question
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 12:04 AM
  2. Rest Between Sets
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM
  3. Best rest lenght between sets for 10 x 10s?
    By gidemon in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
  4. Rest Pause Sets
    By manifesto in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
  5. importance of rest b/t sets
    By lazerss9 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in