Where to Measure?

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
hey guys i hope this is in the right section.

i was just wondering if anyone could tell me the correct places to measure body fat with calipers on both males and female.

i roughly know where i just want to be positive.
i was taught this but am a little hazzy on it. thank you all .

Last edited:
Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
hey guys i hope this is in the right section.

i was just wondering if anyone could tell me the correct places to measure body fat with calipers on both males and female.

i roughly know where i just want to be positive.
i was taught this but am a little hazzy on it. thank you all .
You measure skinfolds on the SAME places re male and female; there is NO difference.

To ensure that you minimize your error of estimation, you should actually MEASURE out and mark each skinfold site. Each skinfold sound be taken in order (triceps, subscapular, biceps, iliac crest, supraspinale, abdominal, thigh, and calf), and measure at LEAST twice, but no more than three times.

Since I cannot attach them here, if you flick me a PM with your contact details, I will send you a powerpoint on where and how to correctly measure the skinfolds; as well as a spreadsheet, in which you input the skinfolds, etc. that you take during an ISAK assessment (the spreadsheet calculates your body composition and somatotype based on your input -please note that if you have not also measured girths and bone breadths, ignore the somatotype readings).

~Team APPNUT

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Like Rosie was saying, however, there are different formulas for which sites you use. Mainly it's 3 and 7 site formulas. There is a lot of variability with calipers from user and instrument error.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
but women tend to attain fat in different places then men, correct?
Sometimes. It depends on the individual - for example, many females hold onto fat in their hips and thighs; I, on the other hand, hold it in the same place as males generally do, around my midsection/tyre. Regardless, it doesn't change WHERE you take skinfolds from. There are many equations out there based on how many skinfolds you take., and the more skinfolds you take - and I would recommend 6-8 sites - the more likely you are to decrease the estimate of error re body composition.

~Team APPNUT