John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Which One Is Best For Building Your Biceps? Straight Or EZ Bar - Muscleblitz.com

This article makes sense to me. I recently goggled this and found it because Dennis Wolf in a recent MD talked about how barbell curls are better for stimulating the biceps than ez bar curls.

There is supposed to be a study out there where people hooked something up to the muscle and the image showed barbell curls activated a larger percent of muscle fibers.

Does any one have this study or pdf?

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I always use the ez bar and dumbells, but I'm going to give barbell curls a shot, just for the change-up in exercises if nothing else.

How much does the ez bar usually weigh? 25 right?

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
yup, EZ is 25lbs ... interesting ... I always use a barbell due to stress on my wrists

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I remember coming across this a while ago, another good thing that helps is the bicep bomber, I have one but dont train biceps directly so haven't really used it.

RedneckDB

Awards
yup, EZ is 25lbs ... interesting ... I always use a barbell due to stress on my wrists
Interesting....I've always hated how much stress a barbell puts on my wrists for curls compared to an EZ Bar.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Which One Is Best For Building Your Biceps? Straight Or EZ Bar - Muscleblitz.com

This article makes sense to me. I recently goggled this and found it because Dennis Wolf in a recent MD talked about how barbell curls are better for stimulating the biceps than ez bar curls.

There is supposed to be a study out there where people hooked something up to the muscle and the image showed barbell curls activated a larger percent of muscle fibers.

Does any one have this study or pdf?
I don't have the PDF but you should be able to feel the difference. Here is Larry Scott's explanation.
(Larry Scott):

"If your goal is to build biceps the straight bar is much better than the EZ curl bar if done the conventional way.
In fact, you may have noticed how the EZ curl bar feels real comfortable but it just doesn't seem to produce size increase like the Straight bar does.
Perhaps this is the reason... The bicep performs two jobs. One, is to curl the arm but the other is to supinate the palm. So, in order to work the bicep completely, you wan to make it do both jobs at once. That just makes sense doesn't it? That's why you make your best progress when you do curls with the palm supinated. The straight bar doesn't supinate the palm but it at least it keeps the palm straight. The EZ curl bar doesn't even do that. It allows the palm to turn half way to the side. Yet we can actually do more weight with an Ez curl bar than with a straight bar. Why is that anyway. It's simple. The more you turn the wrist so the palm is facing down the more you activate the brachio radialus. This is good for building the top of the forearm but it's not so good for the bicep because now it doesn't have to do all the work.
If your goal is to build huge biceps here's a little trick you can use with the EZ curl bar that makes it even better than the straight bar...
Grab the EZ curl bar so the palms are pronated but supinated. It's really awkward but man does it place stress right down on the lower bicep. (that beautiful part) I almost hesitate giving that secret away but then again I came to me free so I'm giving it to you free".

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're going to use a bar, it's probably best to use a straight bar unless the strain on your wrists is too much of a problem.

The best advantage you get by using a bar is that you can use a maximum amount of weight. This is why barbell curls are always associated with building maximum mass in the biceps.

Dumbbell curling exercises help bring out the best shape, in my opinion, because the wrists aren't locked into as rigid of a position as they are with bar curls. Like Larry Scott said, the biceps have two primary functions: 1.) to curl the arm and 2.) to supinate the wrist. Turn your wrists back and forth and watch what your biceps does.

So when you're doing dumbbell curls, start with your palms facing each other at the bottom of the lift and as you curl the weight up, rotate the wrists so at the top of the movement your palms are facing towards you. In fact, you can rotate your wrists as far as possible to get maximum response from the biceps. Ever noticed that when you rotate the wrists so that the pinky finger is higher than the thumb that your biceps seems to pop out more? Use this in your curling exercises. Also, DB curls give you the advantage of using one arm at a time so your strong arm can't make up for your weaker one (if that pertains to you).

The keys to bringing out the most from your biceps is to work them through the fullest range of motion with the most weight you can handle while still maintaining the best form AND also using wrist rotation to your advantage when doing any kind of dumbbell curls.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive always had an ez bar, and just recently picked up a straight bar. My wrtists hate straight bar curls. I cant do'em. Ive tried like 25 different positions and all are uncomforatable. But al the size ive gained, was from the ez. So if I could somehow get my wrists to like me, I could progress faster and further? OK well that being said. Does anyone have any tips for lossening up or stretching out your wrists so its not such a pain(PUN INTENDED!!)

lilnardey

lilnardey

Awards
  • Established
I have to wear gloves with extra wrist support or else I can't do them.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lots of good points by just about every one in this thread.

Interesting. I always use the ez bar and dumbells, but I'm going to give barbell curls a shot, just for the change-up in exercises if nothing else.

How much does the ez bar usually weigh? 25 right?
I always thought 15 lbs and the regular weighs 35 lbs? next time I go into the gym I am weighing the ez bar on our gym weight scale

I have to wear gloves with extra wrist support or else I can't do them.
I wear wrist support

I usually put on straps and allow the straps to take on the load, seems odd, but it works, my wrist would always need to pop or feel like it was gonna pop before
do you meanbefore you wore wear wrist straps your wrist popped?

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Ive always had an ez bar, and just recently picked up a straight bar. My wrtists hate straight bar curls. I cant do'em. Ive tried like 25 different positions and all are uncomforatable. But al the size ive gained, was from the ez. So if I could somehow get my wrists to like me, I could progress faster and further? OK well that being said. Does anyone have any tips for lossening up or stretching out your wrists so its not such a pain(PUN INTENDED!!)

It sounds like you just need to strengthen your wrists some more. Do some straight bar wrist curls, holding the contraction for a second or two. You can also do a static hold in the contracted position for as long as you can.

I like to do them sitting on a bench. I lean over a lay my forearms on the bench with my wrists and hands hanging off the end. Let the weight stretch your wrists all the way down then curl them all the way up and hold. I start with the large bar to warmup and do enough to get a burn in the belly of the forearm. THEN get 10-12 more. They are a lot like calves in how to train them. Full range of motion and full contraction.

bulldogz

bulldogz

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff!

I also thought the ez bar was between 12-15lbs...gonna have to weigh the ez bar at the gym later tonight...

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
I am going to have to weigh them. if so I have been counting wrong for eight years.
new PR's w/out having to lift anything :fest30:

I used to think the EZ was lighter when I used it in the past ... I think the weight distribution makes it seem lighter as opposed to a 25lbs plate in your hand

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
I use an EZ bar but alternate grip position on the bar every week. One grip works the outer bicep, the other works the inner bicep. Every 3rd week is flat bar.

Dan 55

Awards
another good way to relieve stress on the wrists when doing barbell curls is to not wrap the thumbs, kind of like a supinated suicide only on a bicep curl