speed

G

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
What speed does everyone use on the treadmill to optimally preserve the most muscle while of course burning fat? Is there a threshold that you can stay under so no muscle is lost(assuming enough calories are in place). I am currently using 2.3 MPH.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I dont know if its so much speed as it is your heart rate. I havent started cutting yet - so I havent read up on it, but I believe there's a 'target heart rate' that you want to maintain for a certain amount of time to optimize fat burning.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I have done pretty well in the past with a sprint 30 sec / walk or jog 30 sec to a minute.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
You don't really need to spend that long on it either 15 to 20 minutes first thing in the morning on an empty stomach worked well for me.

M

MaddCapp

Awards
DC suggests a 45 min. walk aiming for 2.5 miles or so, first thing in the AM, on an incline or with resistance (treadmill). His reasoning is that running actually breaks down hard-earned muscle. Not sure if that's true or not ... but apparently he doesn't have any problem getting his trainees ripped while retaining LBM -

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I've always heard 15-20 minutes of interval training is the way to go.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
worked well for me........ any amount of too much cardio will break down muscle. Of course if you throw juice into the equation I'm sure you'll keep a lot more muscle than you normally would.
Look at sprinters they have a good amount of muscle. Marathon runners often look like they have very little muscle and often look like they have a wasting disease.