Breathing Squats on Smith Machine

natepierson

Awards
I was just wondering if doing breathing squats on a smith machine is as good as with the barbell. The reason I ask is I started doing them yesterday and it was my shoulders that got tired before my legs. With my back and shoulders in a flex position for 3-4 minutes it was more of a mental toughness workout than a leg burning workout. Thanks

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
No, you can't keep good form on a smith machine for doing squats. Why wouldn't you use the barbell?

natepierson

Awards
Holding the bar on my shoulders tires our my upper back. I'm not the most flexible due to my size. Holding my shoulder blades together for that long of a time becomes tiresome. Any other advice?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
You're at most 2" taller than me and weigh less. You're not that large, why complain about flexibility? If your weak point is poor scapular retractors, work on the back muscles and get them up to par before trying to up the weight. If you can't hold the bar on your back, maybe breathing squats are too advanced for you. Maybe you should work on getting your squat up more first. Or try front squats.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Holding the bar on my shoulders tires our my upper back. I'm not the most flexible due to my size. Holding my shoulder blades together for that long of a time becomes tiresome. Any other advice?
I doubt your size makes you less flexible- but it does take coordination. Try less weight with the bar until you get used to it. Just because it's possible to do squats on a Smith doesn't mean they're good for you. Personally, the Smith limits my squat to the point of knee pain.
Hope this helps. Good luck and stay safe