safe to lift?

jmoney02

Awards
At what age is it considered safe/healthy for a juvenile to start any type of resistance training?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I recently read an article where they say that you can have them start training real early but dont like push the heavy weights. KInd of like its a toning workout kind of thing. I wish i could remember where I read it. O I do know I was looking at a youtube video of that 8 year old body builder from like the 80's. Then did a little research off of that. Sorry I couldnt be more help, but hopefully I pointed you in the right direction.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Might be a good idea to have the juvenile start with core-bodyweight movements (situps, pullups, pushups, hand-stands, etc).

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Might be a good idea to have the juvenile start with core-bodyweight movements (situps, pullups, pushups, hand-stands, etc).
this. I'd wait til 13-14 age to move weight and just do bodyweight movements til then.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
With close supervision, I feel that a child can begin training with weights at a very early age. Why are the teenage years viewed as the optimal years to begin weight training? Growth plates are not closed at this stage in adolescent development, just as they are not closed when a child is 7 or 8 years old. After a strong core is established in a child using pushups, situps, chins, even BW squats, I see no reason why a young, healthy child cannot then start training with squats, deadlifts, etc. I'm not talking about going for heavy 1RM, but basic strength training. I really believe the key is being taught correct form and a watchful eye when they train. Make sure they are using weight light enough that they can use proper form before trying to add any weight to the bar.