Triathlon or Duathlon training

  1. Professional Member
    size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,232
    Rep Power
    2268
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    92.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Triathlon or Duathlon training


    Just wondering if anyone has ever participated in either a triathlon or duathlon?
    If so, what was your training protocol?

  2. Advanced Member
    maggmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    495
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    84.05%

    I trained for an iron man two summers ago, I got injured so i didnt run it but it was essentially a marathon followed by a 10 mile swim followed by a 40 mile bike. It was a bitch to train for and really hard to maintain any mass at all. I dropped down to about 135 lbs and 4% bf. It was rough man.
  3. Professional Member
    size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,232
    Rep Power
    2268
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    92.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I am expecting it to be rather difficult. I am currently in the process of dropping mass from lots of cardio and much less lifting.

    The swim concerns me most.
    •   
       

  4. Get big or die trying
    Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    898
    Rep Power
    579
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    55.49%

    Good luck with that man.
  5. Advanced Member
    maggmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    495
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    84.05%

    Its totally different from bodybuilding you eat different think different everythings about can I push myself hard enough to win it really has little to do with being strong. My mantra was always "The human body can do anything if pushed hard enough " I can still run a sub 5 minute mile and swim 100 laps 50 lbs later so the benefits are long lasting.
  6. Get big or die trying
    Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    898
    Rep Power
    579
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    55.49%

    Quote Originally Posted by maggmaster
    Its totally different from bodybuilding you eat different think different everythings about can I push myself hard enough to win it really has little to do with being strong. My mantra was always "The human body can do anything if pushed hard enough " I can still run a sub 5 minute mile and swim 100 laps 50 lbs later so the benefits are long lasting.
    That's impressive. A sub 5 mile, not many people can say that.
  7. Professional Member
    size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,232
    Rep Power
    2268
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    92.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Before I got into bbing, I was an edurance athlete so now I am just completely changing my routines and returning to my old ways.
  8. Advanced Member
    maggmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    495
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    84.05%

    Yep my best mile ever was down in the 4 min 30 sec range I bet I can do 4 50 right now
  9. New Member
    rocknroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    195
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    50.55%

    Just ran across the thread...Yes I got into doing triahtlons about 5-6 years ago. I love them but I have trouble balancing tri training with lifting. Obviously sometimes feel counterproductive and feel like I'm cheating one when doing the other. Oh well. I do not compete in them, I complete them. I'm usually in the middle of the pack.

    In terms of protocol I only do sprint distance triathlons (1/2 mile swim, 15-20 mile bike, and usually a 5k run at the end. I use a very basic program from a little book called, The Essential Triathlete" and it really just provides a basic skeleton of a program. The author's philosophy is pretty much, "If you can train for X amount of time and you can cycle your training something similar to what I have laid out, you can comfortably complete a triathlon of X length." It is a very laid back approach and I like it. I have 3 kids, I teach and coach middle school, and life is too busy for me to obsess about it. HTH.

    I'm wondering if it would be unsafe to train and do a few triathlons this summer while on a cycle of phera plex. My concern is my BP and cholesterol level becoming dangerous to exert such high end extended aerobic energy. Open to thoughts...
  10. Professional Member
    motiv8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,187
    Rep Power
    26295
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll
    Just ran across the thread...Yes I got into doing triahtlons about 5-6 years ago. I love them but I have trouble balancing tri training with lifting. Obviously sometimes feel counterproductive and feel like I'm cheating one when doing the other. Oh well. I do not compete in them, I complete them. I'm usually in the middle of the pack.

    In terms of protocol I only do sprint distance triathlons (1/2 mile swim, 15-20 mile bike, and usually a 5k run at the end. I use a very basic program from a little book called, The Essential Triathlete" and it really just provides a basic skeleton of a program. The author's philosophy is pretty much, "If you can train for X amount of time and you can cycle your training something similar to what I have laid out, you can comfortably complete a triathlon of X length." It is a very laid back approach and I like it. I have 3 kids, I teach and coach middle school, and life is too busy for me to obsess about it. HTH.

    I'm wondering if it would be unsafe to train and do a few triathlons this summer while on a cycle of phera plex. My concern is my BP and cholesterol level becoming dangerous to exert such high end extended aerobic energy. Open to thoughts...
    My opinion is that I think it is very possible. The hardest part of hormones for me and distance training is a pump that I can't run past. Buy a HR monitor. Train according to your HR. If you are running too high, slow down. Use a little Hawthorn Berry during this time period and K. I would certainly get the Hr monitor is you are considering it. I think you stand a much greater risk to yourself by not doing than by trying. $10 bucks for a cholesterol kit at wally world. I take fish oil year round and my cholesterol is very in check. Thats after doign way to many oral cycles last year. Good luck.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  11. Banned
    Brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    939
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    75.4%

    I can't swim.

    I don't know how the training would work but I do know that Xtend would be part of my supplementation. (I would also add more citrulline malate.)
  12. New Member
    rocknroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    195
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    50.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by motiv8er
    My opinion is that I think it is very possible. The hardest part of hormones for me and distance training is a pump that I can't run past. Buy a HR monitor. Train according to your HR. If you are running too high, slow down. Use a little Hawthorn Berry during this time period and K. I would certainly get the Hr monitor is you are considering it. I think you stand a much greater risk to yourself by not doing than by trying. $10 bucks for a cholesterol kit at wally world. I take fish oil year round and my cholesterol is very in check. Thats after doign way to many oral cycles last year. Good luck.
    Ahhhhh.....Never thought about using the HRM to keep in check. I'm currently taking Hawthorn Berry but what is K? Also, how much fish oil do you take per day? Thx!
  13. Banned
    Brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    939
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    75.4%

    Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER

    Biking is nice because you can BLAST past so very very many people Then the run comes and you watch people fly by you like you have a FREAKING anchor chained to your azz lol


    CROWLER
    I wonder if I could make up enough time biking so I could pull off my famous 11 minute mile. haha
  14. Professional Member
    motiv8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,187
    Rep Power
    26295
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    K=Potassium
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  15. New Member
    rocknroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    195
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    50.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    I can't swim.

    I don't know how the training would work but I do know that Xtend would be part of my supplementation. (I would also add more citrulline malate.)
    Cool. Never heard of either of them. Will do some searching. Looks like you like the bike...Ya know, because the bulk of a tri is done on the bike, you can build the lead on the bike and "hang on" for the run. Might be worth a "tri." Sorry...that was bad...

    Back to buisiness, gimme a little scoop on these two products you recommend.

    Also, have you ever heard of Optygen? I saw it in the local bike shop today and the guy there said he gets alot of repeat customers.
  16. New Member
    rocknroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    195
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    50.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by motiv8er
    K=Potassium
    Thanks motiv8er. Love your sig BTW.
  17. Registered User
    motiv8erJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    281
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    18.58%

    Size. I used to train for long distance biking and tri's

    You need to up your calories from low glycimic carbs if your gonna do this. You didn't say how long of a tri your doing basic ideas. If you 6months to a year out.

    6months-yr -- start ridiing long slow rides on your bike for about 2-3 months, gets you cut and builds up your endurance. Plus you ballz get used to that saddle.

    run proggressively- I don't know how much you've been running or your stats, but I would start as a walk a mile run a mile and do that till you feel comfortable doing a 5k all at a slight run/jog. Then I can give you more of an idea therre....


    SWIMMING--- ***** of all *****es. you baic stroke for a tri is the free style, ie basic front crawl. like the biking. Dont worry about how far you go for the first couple of months, worry more about how long you can stay in the water and keep moving before your muscular ass sinks....


    if you can give me and idea of what your training for and some statz I can be more helpful. Like my big bro said, train to a HR moniter. for the first month or two dont train above a HR of 160ish. Then as you progress in everything start adding intervals, they will allow you to gain speed endurance.


    let me know, and i will try to help!

    ~Mk
  18. Board Supporter
    diminuendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    62.41%

    Take a class on freestyle stroke. The swim is the segment that is most likely to be done completetly wrong. If you don't take a class (one where they video your stroke is best) there are some sites on the net that discuss proper stroke, and you would propably be suprised by how poor your stroke really is.
  19. Registered User
    motiv8erJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    281
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    18.58%
  20. Professional Member
    size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,232
    Rep Power
    2268
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    92.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Well guys, thank you for the input. By the way, I hoped you guys noticed that I started this thread over 2 years ago.
    My physique changed alot over that time, I am much more agile now.
    Last edited by size; 05-27-2006 at 09:12 AM.
  21. Registered User
    motiv8erJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    281
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    18.58%

    Quote Originally Posted by size
    Well guys, thank you for the input. By the wya, I hoped you guys noticed that I started this thread over 2 years ago.
    My physique changed alot over that time, I am much more agile now.

    Yeah i noticed.... but I ain't about to tell a mod the reason why I helped drag it up... Plus there are plenty of guys that need advice...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Full Body Routine or 5x5 Training
    By MAxximal in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 07:51 AM
  2. Am I overtraing or under training? ?
    By m1cr0ch1p.ms in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM
  3. P90X or Turbulence Training
    By CoyoteL32 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  4. cardio before or after training?
    By packers6211 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 09:37 AM
  5. OVT or HST Training? no leg days tho..
    By redrocket399 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in