Elbow area pain..anyone have this?

reptone

Awards
  • Established
I can lift just fine(curls, bench, etc) byr tying my shoes, grasping a box(palming) or any pulling, wide grip type movemant is sheer agony. It starts mid forarm up into lower bicep area. It is definetely muscular/tendon type pain. I don`t recall doing anything to it. It just started about a week ago. Anyone experience anything like this? OTC Nsaids/anti inflammatories help a little but it really hurts.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
Do you play a sport that requires a throwing motion overhand or sidearm, like football or baseball?

I was diagnosed with tendinitis a while back, and wore one of those Ace arm brace for a bit and it went away. Around a two month period perhaps.

You can always walk into a Duane Reade or Wallgreens to try one out to see if it offers comfort or stability in that area of pain.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Do you play a sport that requires a throwing motion overhand or sidearm, like football or baseball?

I was diagnosed with tendinitis a while back, and wore one of those Ace arm brace for a bit and it went away. Around a two month period perhaps.

You can always walk into a Duane Reade or Wallgreens to try one out to see if it offers comfort or stability in that area of pain.
No. No sports for a long time. I thought about picking up a brace of some sort. I guess tomorrow I`ll go to Walgreens.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
No. No sports for a long time. I thought about picking up a brace of some sort. I guess tomorrow I`ll go to Walgreens.
Good luck on your arm bro.

Had a huge problem on my right arm, even when I held a cup of water.

Hope you get healed much faster than I.

Robbo

Awards
Is it in the antecubital area (where the Dr takes blood from)? Do you get the pain doing any kind of hammer curl movement or wide grip rows or pulldowns?

Last year, when I was having a bit time away from the gym due to needing a small operation, I developed a pain in that region (It came on about a week after stopping the gym). I first noticed a pain when fastening my jeans buttons. The operation was actually near that elbow but was not related, I had that operation months later.

At the same time as the pain appeared I developed olecranon bursitis in that elbow (bump just appeared, didn't knock it or lean on it etc. I was getting a bit concerned as there were now three things wrong with my elbow!).

I did some reading on pains in that region and the best I could come up with was brachioradialis injury or inflamation of the bursa on the radial tuberosity (it's where a tendon touches the radius when you rotate the forearm, I think!). My pain took months to go away and I had to avoid wide grip rows and pulldowns, hammer curls were out as well.

I suspect mine was bursitis due to my olecranon bursa inflaming for no apparent reason. I think the radial one might have inflamed as well, maybe they react to local conditions?

All the best!

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Is it in the antecubital area (where the Dr takes blood from)? Do you get the pain doing any kind of hammer curl movement or wide grip rows or pulldowns?

Last year, when I was having a bit time away from the gym due to needing a small operation, I developed a pain in that region (It came on about a week after stopping the gym). I first noticed a pain when fastening my jeans buttons. The operation was actually near that elbow but was not related, I had that operation months later.

At the same time as the pain appeared I developed olecranon bursitis in that elbow (bump just appeared, didn't knock it or lean on it etc. I was getting a bit concerned as there were now three things wrong with my elbow!).

I did some reading on pains in that region and the best I could come up with was brachioradialis injury or inflamation of the bursa on the radial tuberosity (it's where a tendon touches the radius when you rotate the forearm, I think!). My pain took months to go away and I had to avoid wide grip rows and pulldowns, hammer curls were out as well.

I suspect mine was bursitis due to my olecranon bursa inflaming for no apparent reason. I think the radial one might have inflamed as well, maybe they react to local conditions?

All the best!
This sound very similar except the pain is really only present while using my hand in a wide(open hand) grip like palming a basketball or pulling upward(pulling shoe lace to tie). What did you do for your pain? OTC meds? Sports creams? Wrap and keep pressure on it?

SamuraiSid

Awards
when i started doing heavy preacher curls i had similar pain in similar area. Turns out I was going far too low with too much weight. Went away afte a week

Robbo

Awards
I think I tried a topical Ibuprofen anti-inflammatory. I tried it on my bursa as well but it didn't seem to help either :(. I think the pain might have been caused by something too deep for it to help.

Another possibility might anterior capsule strain here's a bit of elbow information:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000201/691.html

It's a complex joint and it's apparently quite difficult to determine what's causing the pain as some conditions seem very similar to others.

What I remember about mine was that the pain went away after exercising it and after my elbow operation I had a bandage on the area for a few weeks. Using it without upsetting it with certain pulls helped mine.