Critique my bench press form

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.

Cool Critique my bench press form

My butt comes off the bench and back arches ridiculously so I'm sure that's bad. I could feel my form differ a lot in this press, I guess because I was pushing so hard to get it up- I don't think I ever come up off the bench that much.

2. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwilson16 View Post
    My butt comes off the bench and back arches ridiculously so I'm sure that's bad.
    You can arch your back slightly, but you are coming way off the bench, making it appear that you are using your legs to get the bar back up. Check out Starting Strength By Mark Rippetoe, he teaches form in a way that will change your gym experience.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

That was pretty bad. Having an arch is good, lifting your ass up is bad. Do yourself a favor and watch this video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0"]YouTube- Dave Tate's Six-Week Bench Press Cure[/ame]
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    That was pretty bad. Having an arch is good, lifting your ass up is bad. Do yourself a favor and watch this video:
    YouTube- Dave Tate's Six-Week Bench Press Cure
    Yeah ive watched it a few times. Like i said, this was way different than the norm. It's not how i usually do, and it didnt seem that bad when i was ddoing it. But i'll definitely try not to replicate it next week. Thanks for the advice guys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Bench presses should involve the ass and upper back on the bench as mentioned by previous posters.

Tuck your triceps to involve more of them. Proper back extension and butt placement comes from the placement of the feet. Place the feet back towards the torso, but allow them to stay flat on the floor. Next, drive the feet into the floor during the bottom of the concentric contraction and simultaneously push up from the chest and drive yourself into the mat.

This will increase your bench press significantly when you first try it.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.

Thanks for the advice, i will definitely think about all of this and focus a bit more on form throughout the next few months... Just to clarify, this is the most ive ever done on bench and this was the first time to ever try 3 plates so i was definitely pushing with everything i had to get it up. I guess the increase in weight and trying to max out i let my form kind of cheat a bit for me. Regardless though, i couldnt do this a week ago even if i used my legs and butt twice as much as i do here.

Do yall think my elbow placement is correct, or should it come more inside towards my torso? Also, i dont think my arch has eliminated much of the distance as showed in Dave Tate's video does it? I think i may need more arch, and keep that arch rather than lifting my butt off, correct?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Take a rope and tie one end to a 5 lb plate. Hang the rope so that the end with the weight is dangling off the side of the bench but not on the floor and use your butt to keep the rope on the bench. If you start to lift your butt off the bench then the weight will drop to the floor. This should help you remember to keep your butt down as you will feel the rope start to slide if you start lifting your butt up.

Sorry, but if your butt isn't on the bench the entire press then it doesn't count. Lower the weight and do it with proper form, even if you have to take 50 lbs off. Letting your ego get in the way will get you hurt.

You could probably stand to tuck the elbows a bit more. I think the more important thing for you right now is to worry about keeping your butt on the bench and your upper back tight.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    Take a rope and tie one end to a 5 lb plate. Hang the rope so that the end with the weight is dangling off the side of the bench but not on the floor and use your butt to keep the rope on the bench. If you start to lift your butt off the bench then the weight will drop to the floor. This should help you remember to keep your butt down as you will feel the rope start to slide if you start lifting your butt up.

Sorry, but if your butt isn't on the bench the entire press then it doesn't count. Lower the weight and do it with proper form, even if you have to take 50 lbs off. Letting your ego get in the way will get you hurt.
    I'll definitely try that out. But what I'm saying is i did 305 like it was jjust 2 plates or something, staying flat on the bench the whole time and with no struggle at all. I picked this video to post because it was definitely the most unusual form I've ever had while benching, so i wanted to see just how negative the feedback i would receive. Next week I will definitely do it with better form. Maybe my friend will record it again and i can re post to see any progress
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Proper bench press form??
    By 1517 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM
  2. bench press
    By at1010 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
  3. Leg Press form.
    By hypo in forum Exercise Science