squats or leg press with deadlifts?

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Ok for some reason my knees give me discomfort when squatting. My friends looked at my form and it looks good. I might just have bad mechanics for it I guess. I am 6.0 if it makes any difference. Would leg press and Romanian dead lifts be a good alternative? I tried smith machine squats with same outcome. Also I had 3 bad discs in my back so maybe I should just avoid squats.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Can you get a video of your form? Your friend may not know what good form is...

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Whats your warm up look like? 5-10 minutes on the treadmill before squats to get the blood flowing can make a diffrence for some. If it turns out you can't do them though their are ways around it unless your a powerlifter. You don't have to do regular squats for big legs.

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
I agree on the warmup comment. I used to have knee aches during squats as well, in fact, I still have a torn ACL in my left knee. I warmup by doing 5 mins on the seated bike to get some blood in my legs, then I do leg extensions at high reps, to make sure my knees are warmed up. Only after all of this will I do squats. Squats are the best for growth, it would be a shame for you to have to skip them.

However, if you have a bad back, you may have too avoid them after all. You could try pre-exhauting your quads so you don't have to go so heavy on squats. Be careful with your back, mess that up and you won't be able to lift at all.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Thank you for all the responds. usually my warm up consists of light squats before going heavy. Next time I will do some treadmill to see if it helps. Thank you

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I use the exercise bike for about 5 min. a couple light squats and it works for me.-and i'm old

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Same here. Im old too LOL ;)

I use the exercise bike for about 5 min. a couple light squats and it works for me.-and i'm old