Shrugs Causing Pain in Lower Back?

Rock Lee

Awards
Does anyone else ever get this? I do shrugs with a BB and just like the topic says, I get a pain in my lower back. Is this a sign I'm using too much weight or bad form or something? I'm thinking maybe I should start using the hex bar instead of the normal straight BB.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
yes it does sound familiar.. that was me before my back surgery.. I would go to a trap/hex bar if you have one.. normal straight bars tend to pull you forward some.. and it does "mess" with some of us.. :D

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I like the smith machine for really heavy shrugs. If you can get the setup right and don't have to lean too far to grab the bar, it helps me tremendously. :)

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Try the behind the back variation of shrugs with the barbell. Works the traps a little differently, and personally I don't notice any lower back discomfort.

Just a suggestion.

FalseProphet

Awards
One time a week for the past month I have been doing CT's routine he outlined on T-mag. It has worked very well. My traps have been blowing up as of lately. Plus, I mostly do only the compound movements and rarely go above 8 reps. I'd highly suggest using a trap bar and doing some DL's to get this traps BIG!