Doms

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
How long does it take you guys before you begin to feel the affects of DOMS. Sometimes i'll feel it as early as 8 hours after a workout. Wondering if this is normal, and if this may be a sign of overtraining. I appreciate any insight

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I usually train around 12:30 in the afternoon, & I have felt DOMS the same night at times. I usually notice it when I get up the next day, but sometimes sooner. I think thats pretty normal.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I did a "tip of the day" on DOMS over on my board a few days ago, here it is:

Delayed onset muscle soreness is something that leads many people to the "no gain zone", and then forever keeps them there. Many wrongly believe that unless they are "tore up" they didn't stimulate growth.......they are in most cases WRONG! While there is nothing wrong with being sore, you need to understand that after you have done a lift for more than a few sessions you are likely to be less and less sore. Also some muscles rarely or NEVER get sore. My biceps and delts are some examples. I could do 50 sets for my delts and never feel a bit sore. Regardless they still grow well.

You have no doubt noticed that some muscles don't get very sore, while others always feel way beat-up. And almost everyone notices that when you do a lift you haven’t done in a long time you tend to get sore as hell the first time or two, then less and less each session. This leads many to either change their lifts CONSTANTLY (which can be beneficial to SOME people) or do more ad more sets/lifts/or use more intensity to ensure they get beat-up enough. In most cases this is simply not needed. Some trainees get sore every time they train, others only when changing lifts, and some people almost never, yet all these categories of trainees can all grow extremely well if the training and diet is properly laid out.

Your barometer of success in the gym should be an ever increasing load on the bar, not how “pumped” you get, or how sore you are the following days.

Iron Addict

cpwhite

Awards
It took me 4 months to find this out & if it helps one person out there this post will have been worth it.

I find that if I take 2 grams of Vitamin C (1 Pre, 1 Post) workout that the occurance of DOMS is reduced about 75% of the time. I had read somewhere (and perhaps some of the scientists here can elaborate) that taking Vitamin C around your workout inhibits (or was it decreases?) the amount of lactic acid that can build up in your muscles thus reducing DOMS.

qdogg

Awards
DOMS for me takes around 26-48 hours before I notice it. I gets worse and then better over a 72 hour peroid, but sometimes last around 5 days.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I was just wondering if getting it so early (sometimes less than 8 hours) was a sign of overtraining. Thanks for the replies.

Praetorian

Awards
I workout in the mornings, usually. Most of the time I will feel soreness the next day. If it is delayed until the 2nd day after the workout, I am in for a rough 72 hours of pain.

As for lactic acid buildup, I use Vitamin C and Dimethylglycine (DMG) liquid as a lactic acid buffer. Some brands of DMG rock, some suck. It is really nice to be able to burn calves up hard not feel the pain until a day or two later.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
It took me 4 months to find this out & if it helps one person out there this post will have been worth it.

I find that if I take 2 grams of Vitamin C (1 Pre, 1 Post) workout that the occurance of DOMS is reduced about 75% of the time. I had read somewhere (and perhaps some of the scientists here can elaborate) that taking Vitamin C around your workout inhibits (or was it decreases?) the amount of lactic acid that can build up in your muscles thus reducing DOMS.
I believe that most antioxidants and adaptogens will help reduce DOMS. Supplements that have helped me noticeably include Vitamin C, Rhodiola, and Ecdysterone.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I don't really mind being sore. My question was if the appearance of doms after only eight hours was a sign of over training. Thanks anyway

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 3
Supplements 14
Supplements 30
Training Forum 8
Whacked Supplements 28