military press: dumbells vs. barbell?

  1. military press: dumbells vs. barbell?


    I have been doing military press with dumbells a very long time and I was wondering if it could be beneficial to switch to barbell? By barbell their are two types I mean. Either with the 90 degree chair under the smith machine or their is also a seated rack for military press using a barbell which I feel less comfortable doing without a spotter. The only thing that seems like a downside is with dumbells the weight is in line with your sides/head, with a barbell obviously you have to come in front of your head so you don't hit it, making it somewhat like an incline bench motion, but obviously much more incline.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    I have been doing military press with dumbells a very long time and I was wondering if it could be beneficial to switch to barbell? By barbell their are two types I mean. Either with the 90 degree chair under the smith machine or their is also a seated rack for military press using a barbell which I feel less comfortable doing without a spotter. The only thing that seems like a downside is with dumbells the weight is in line with your sides/head, with a barbell obviously you have to come in front of your head so you don't hit it, making it somewhat like an incline bench motion, but obviously much more incline.
    I do both, doing both seated (Smith Machine and Seated Rack) and standing (Military Press, Push Press, etc.) barbell work. They each have their benefits in one's training programme and I find that my anterior delts have become more developed since adding in barbell work.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

  3. Try standing in a power rack. Set pins at shoulder height and press like seated ones. My old gym had a full bar that had a horseshoe in the middle. I would do seated presses with the hoop to the back. It would allow your hands to stay to the side and not have to lean back to miss your face. I miss that bar!
    •   
       


  4. Use both as there are benefits to each. DB=more range of motion. BB=more weight, more mass.
    Think training's hard,. try losing!

  5. ^Yep.

    DB = stabilizers come into play
    BB = restricted range of motion

    Learned this from Layne Norton. Since then it's been DB all the way.

  6. ALWAYS incorporate standing military press into your shoulder routine,you will gain unbelievable shoulder size and strength. I love push presses too. Though as was said DB presses have their benefits too.

  7. Incorporating both is a great idea. But sticking to one or the other will eventually lead into adaptation. Go with one method, deload, then go to the next.

  8. I've been using Military Press for my 5/3/1 routine, and seated DB press for a shoulder accessory movement. MP has always been a weak lift for me, but this has definitely been helping.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***

  9. 5/3/1/ is awesome that's great hear.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride View Post
    5/3/1/ is awesome that's great hear.
    I agree, and thank you. It's raised my numbers back up to where they used to be (tore an oblique last summer) rapidly, and I've recently started making PRs again.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***

  11. Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride View Post
    Incorporating both is a great idea. But sticking to one or the other will eventually lead into adaptation. Go with one method, deload, then go to the next.
    Thats not true at all. Its a misconception. Unless you stay doing the same weight/reps and never change it up. I rarely do DB presses and have never stagnated when I am training hard and focusing on my diet.

  12. IME its best to use 2 "opposite" lifts, like standing military and seated DB or Standing db military and seated military. I get stuck quickly on standing exercsises. May not work for everyone but it works for me
    Serious Nutrition Solutions

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    Thats not true at all. Its a misconception. Unless you stay doing the same weight/reps and never change it up. I rarely do DB presses and have never stagnated when I am training hard and focusing on my diet.
    That was my point in adaptation.
  14. Future
    Future's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    I do both, doing both seated (Smith Machine and Seated Rack) and standing (Military Press, Push Press, etc.) barbell work. They each have their benefits in one's training programme and I find that my anterior delts have become more developed since adding in barbell work.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Variety is the spice of life. Cant go wrong with that.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride View Post
    That was my point in adaptation.
    Well your point was the exercises themselves causing adaption actually, but yes changing up your reps/sets/weight is paramount regardless of what your exercise plan is. I'm sure we have all seen the same guys come into the gym doing the same thing,same weight same reps and never change themselves. I am a firm believer in pushing yourself beyond what you think you can do to achieve maximum results, whatever the plan is.

  16. I usually do both. Variety is my cup of tea.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. military press records
    By DerickVonD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM
  2. How is my military press?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
  3. How far do you go down on military press?
    By Rugger in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM
  4. Military Press
    By koi1214 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 09:30 AM
  5. BARBELL SHOULDER PRESS ----> FRONT OR BACK
    By QUICKRYDE in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Log in
Log in