Biking, Hiking, and Leg Training Question

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Since the weather is warming and I'm in Mtn Bike haven I've been out just about everyday and I even got a good hike in yesterday. My problem is I dont want to overtrain legs. I'm thinking about lowering my overall sets and doing primarily heavy weights (if my knees dont complain too much). Something like:
Squats 2x8-10
Leg press 1x6-8
SLDL 2x8-10
Calf Press 2x8-10

Maybe also adding a set of Leg Curls

any thoughts or comments?

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I've been hiking a lot too. My favorite part about CO is the hiking. I use it as a cardio/leg workout. I figure it about the same as doing the sled. Nothing like going up the mountain hard with a pack to make a brother feel good. Coming back down a steep grade is no joke either.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
coming down is the hardest part, are you going to hit Pikes Peak this year
we always plan that in late June or July

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the Springs so PP isn't far at all for me. I was hoping to be able to be doing 14+ by summer but I'm not doing much trekking right now. Just about 5-6 miles round trip every few weeks. Probably going tomorrow. Wife is kicking my son and I out so she can clean. I've got a backback I drop the kid into and off we go.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Same boat. Around this time of year I start scaling back on leg work and using more cardio-hike-mtn bike in its place. Unfortunately my legs shrink a bit but since I'm not a bber I don't care to much. I'd rather have skinny legs and a life I enjoy rather than mega quads and a sense of regret that I can't pack 20 miles/day anymore.

I've yet to see a heavy weight monster who can hike or mtn bike like I do.