simple question

booya123

Awards
just looking for a good compound exercise to replace bent over bb row. my lower back is starting to hurt from doing them. would 1 arm db rows be a good choice. the exercise where you have 1 arm and knee on a bench.

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
low cable rows, same general movement, use a lat bar instead of v bar

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Um, you should address the "hurting" thing first. What do you mean by hurting? Make sure you're not confusing muscle soreness with pain due to injury.

If doing rows is making your lower back sore, you should probably rest for a while then make sure your form is spot on. I do rows all the time and I know that form is very, very important. I see people **** up rows all the time. I'm not saying that's your problem, but you should definitely rest if you're sore down there all the time when doing rows. You're lower back is going to be involved with most every back exercise to some degree, especially rowing movements.

For back, I do a low of bent-over BB rows, pullups and deadlifts. Every once in a while I'll do something like close-grip pulldowns in place of pullups and cable rows or T-bar rows in place of BB rows (or sometimes 1-arm rows). Make sure you stretch the back a lot and make sure you're using good form.