Working the Chest

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.44%

Working the Chest

I've got 2 questions about working the chest:

1. Whenever I work the chest I "feel" it around my armpit area. Is this normal or should I feel it all throughout my chest?

2. I started using DB's recently because one side of my chest was starting to lag a bit. When I use them though, should I rotate the wrist on the way up (meaning when they are down I'm using a hammer grip-- palms facing each other, and then when they are up the thumbs are facing each other)? I read that this allows a better stretch to be used at the bottom of the movement, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone besides myself actually do this; it doesn't take any of the emphasis off of the chest or do anything else counter-productive does it?

Thanks.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

The armpit area I would assume would be your outer part of your pecs and this would be normal depending on the type of exercise
    2. I do that with them also.. I don't think it would be counter productive..
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Sometimes after I have worked chest, I almost feel like I didn't get much out of it and feel most of the work had been done on the outer pecs, until the next day when my entire chest is sore.

I have switched my routine around and only do dumbells for my flat bench. I mix it up a bit and do two sets with a wide grip and my palms facing forward, and two sets with my palms facing inward like you described. I have been really focusing on incline exercises for myself. Seems to be working for me.

I recently incorporated cable crosses into my routine, top and bottom. This has helped me at the end of my workout to feel as if I really shredded my entire chest.
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.24%

I also have problems working the inner chest and have a ****load of stretchmarks that would make you cringe on the inside-top part of my armpit that you can only see when I raise my arm. I've found that incorporating flies and using the (never before used) pec-deck works the inner pecs more and leaves them sore. I used to leave those two out, because they really don't help your bench strength, but incorporating them recently has helped.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.83%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I used to feel it mostly in outer pecs too. I now try to conciously flex my inner chest as hard as possible during presses & flyes. It has helped a ton. Adding heavy incline flyes has worked wonders for me.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee
    I've got 2 questions about working the chest:

1. Whenever I work the chest I "feel" it around my armpit area. Is this normal or should I feel it all throughout my chest?

2. I started using DB's recently because one side of my chest was starting to lag a bit. When I use them though, should I rotate the wrist on the way up (meaning when they are down I'm using a hammer grip-- palms facing each other, and then when they are up the thumbs are facing each other)? I read that this allows a better stretch to be used at the bottom of the movement, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone besides myself actually do this; it doesn't take any of the emphasis off of the chest or do anything else counter-productive does it?

Thanks.
    1. What youre feeling is sorenes at the pectoralis majors point of insertion where the tendon meets the humerus. Thats completely normal, its occurs mostly from deep stretched positions.

2. Rotating your palms is fine as long as it doesnt cause you to internaly rotate at the shoulders. You'll notice this if your elbows have to change positon due to the twisting. That would not be good. Internaly rotating will only shorten the pec major at the bottom and not help.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.75%

Working the Chest

I have been lifting for about 7 months now, and I have always had a concern about my chest. I am the kinda guy that has the bigger nipples that makes your chest look not built. I was wondering if this will overtime and patiences go away and form a nice looking muscular chest? Any advice on if this will or won't go away would be appreciated. Any supplements that might help as well?
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.5%

Your only 19...

I say, give your body some time to grow still

I gained 20 lbs. and 2 inches from my jump from 18 to 19 in 1 year
    with just eating reguarly and working out occasionally

So you can still grow, and fill that chest out

Just keep working on chest excersises and all that
    It will eventually come around, and ur nips will settle down and ur chest will
    expand out lol

hope i helped
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.85%

The only thing that will make your chest look muscular is to lose the fat that is covering it up.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.24%

The more muscle mass you put on the small your nips will look in proportion. Get huge and even if it's still noticable chances are less any one will say anything.
    Don't worry about it, this sport (and life) is just about doing the most with what God gave you to work with.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.75%

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I will take in the advice and work hard at achieving my goals.
  12. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.05%

what is your routine and diet like bro?
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.75%

That's a good question. I am still trying to find a diet that I like, but what I do now is this. I work full time so it kinda throws it off during the day. I eat 3 eggs scrambled with some toast, OJ, in the morning, and lunch I drink a protien shake. For dinner I usually try to eat meats and other things high in protien so I get my limit. It's not a very balanced diet and I am trying to read and find some that work. I am 5'5 at about 158lbs. 13%bf. As far as my routine I am currently using M-5AA and 4AD - Transdermally. When I wake up I take 20mg or M-5AA and around 620am I apply the 4AD. My workout routine is on bodybuilding.com its the insane three day split mass workout. I like the way it is laid out and seems to work well for me. I guess the only thing that needs improvement in this, would be my diet. Any suggestions or links or whatever?
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.81%

If you dont have a good diet and workout schedule the ph's arent going to be nearly as effective...what does your split look like? How many sets per muscle? Diet wise I like a 40%p-40%c-20%f
  15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.81%

1. are you doing flyes? I always feel my outer pecs from flyes

2. I tried rotating with bp in the past and just didnt like it at all. I felt the pressure in my shoulder too.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.75%

Here is the link to the work out. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/work...count=20&s2r=3 My diet isn't really bad. I drink a gallon of water a day and I say I would be getting around 2500 calories a day. I am not big looking which is wierd, but things will come together. From reading and taking advice I think I know what I am suppose to do. Thanks bro.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.75%

I always seem to feel it more in the outer area of the chest as well. I guess play around with different hand spacings on the bar. Close grip, inward palm outward palm. The dumbell fact is a good idea as well. I wouldn't worry to much about your concern. Most of us who have replied seem to feel it in the same area as well. Good luck bro with everything.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.9%

Quote Originally Posted by TooL
    2. Rotating your palms is fine as long as it doesnt cause you to internaly rotate at the shoulders. You'll notice this if your elbows have to change positon due to the twisting. That would not be good. Internaly rotating will only shorten the pec major at the bottom and not help.
    Poliquin says that db flyes should be performed with a pronated grip because the pecs are internal rotators
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Ceaze
    Poliquin says that db flyes should be performed with a pronated grip because the pecs are internal rotators
    True the Pec Major is the strongest internal rotator of the shoulders but they are much stronger at adducting the arms through a transverse plane.

Because the Pec Major does both adduction and internal rotation, perhaps it would be beneficial to keep the DBs in a supinated grip at the bottom of the movement and rotate into pronation towards the top?

The only problem with this would be that there is no more resistence against the Pec Major at the top of the movement due to gravity.

Since most of the work during the fly movement is done at the bottom. I would much rather get the full stretch of the muscle. Keeping them internaly rotated at the bottom would prevent this.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.24%

[QUOTE=TooL]
    The only problem with this would be that there is no more resistence against the Pec Major at the top of the movement due to gravity.
    QUOTE]
    Actually the gravity remains the same through out the movement but your mechanical advantage changes because of the angles of the levers.
    BTW... like your signiture

Similar Forum Threads

1. Working the Back/Chest/Legs more than once a week?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
  2. shock method for the chest!
    By bencozzy in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 09:07 AM
  3. Chizlin the Chest
    By SwoleT in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 06:10 PM
  4. Building up the lower inner "cleavage" part of the chest?
    By tommy36p in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 04:21 PM
  5. Touch The Bar To The Chest Or Not??
    By Pirate in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 04:05 PM