Hypertrophy due to "overcompensation of protein synthesis" & ideal TUT

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
I am curious as to anyones thoughts on both the theory and the Time Under Tension per set parameter mentioned in the Greg Bradley-Popovich book Rational Strength Training: Principles & Casebook quoted below:

During the process of protein synthesis in any cell, energy is consumed in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the body's energy currency. Muscle contraction, like protein synthesis and the vast majority of other physiological processes, also consumes ATP. The moments of ATP shortage during protein synthesis (as a result of ATP being used for intense muscular contractions) are hypothesized to be of paramount importance. Supposedly, an unknown signal would report to the muscle cell nuclei ordering them to send more protein-building instructions back out into the cell. It is proposed that when a trained muscle attempts to "catch up" on its protein synthesis during rest, it inadvertently overshoots resulting in a supercompensation, or net increase, in the amount of muscle protein. The concept of this competition for energy, called the ATP Deficit Theory, is somewhat analogous to the glycogen supercompensation characteristic of trained muscles.

Evidently, to promote muscle hypertrophy, the activity must be demanding enough to produce this effect. Low intensity endurance training will not sufficiently deplete ATP stores available for protein synthesis. ATP can actually regenerate itself that quickly. Conversely, if the tension time of a set is too brief apparently under 45 seconds (although this is debatable) while implementing very heavy weights ATP is taken up quickly, but not in proportion to muscle fatigue; again resulting in lack of ATP store depletion allocated for protein synthesis. This may explain why power and Olympic lifters increase strength (via skill acquisition/adaptive coordination) without the characteristic hypertrophy of bodybuilders. Hence, in order to maximize muscle growth, it is best that sets last at least 45 seconds, but not so long (over 2 minutes) as to promote a high endurance capacity and potential overuse atrophy.

About the Author:

Dr. Greg Bradley-Popovich holds dual master's degrees in Exercise Physiology and Human Nutrition from West Virginia University as well as a doctorate in Physical Therapy from Creighton University. He is the Director of Clinical Research at Northwest Spine Management, Rehabilitation, and Sports Conditioning in Portland, Oregon.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When you take TUT out of all of this, it actually SEEMS pretty logical.

..My next thought is, that this would apply to ANY type of training.

(My third thought being , holy sh+t man, there arn't too many exercises \where I keep tension for 45 sec.. I feel like a girlie-man :knockedout:

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
yes this is all in someone elses words... and im trying to figure out if there is any truth to it. i believe that when you do sets over and over and it gets harder to perform, that it is an indicator of atp depletion. furthermore, you can achieve atp depletion without tut being 45 seconds. you can perform sets with little rest between (supersets) and modify the weight each set to really drain your energy...

what do u guys think on my take?

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Truth is irrelevant if we cant apply it. How do you propose going about this?