Bicep Workout

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
What are the best bicep compound exercises for bulking. The only one i know of is deadlift and chin ups but i dont know which hand position to use to target the biceps

lilsugaro6490

lilsugaro6490

Awards
dead lift is okay for bis, but i find that pull ups are one of THE BEST bicep builders. The grip you need for them is hands shoulder width apart, and palms facing you. Try to explode up into the chinup, and slowly lowering yourself down; you should really feel the pump in your bi's.

Another good compound for the bi's is the seated row. The main technique here, when focusing on your bi's, is to lean your body forward into the row rather than leaning back (which focuses on your rhomboids)

These are my two faves, hope this helps.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
towel pullups and hammer DB preacher curl

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
I train bi's on monday's with chest, then hit back on fridays...do you think this hit's the bi's too much

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I TRAIN THE BIS THREE TIMES A WEEK AND THE TRIS THE SAME AMOUNT... IS THAT TOO MUCH?
lol

That's most likely too much. Specifically training them twice a week is the most I'd ever recommend to anyone. I do about 4 sets for biceps twice per week for 8 total sets per week. My biceps get a lot of work just from helping out on back exercises.

I mix up my biceps training, but usually it's something like...

Barbell Curls 4 sets
or
Curl Bar Curls 2 sets / Incline DB curls 2 sets
or
Incline DB Curls 2 sets / Concentration curls 2 sets

Or something to that effect. I switch it up a lot. I also recommend flexing the biceps for a little bit after each set, then flex for a full minute after your biceps workout, then stretch them out a lot. I also rotate my wrists after each set about 6-7 times (turn up and down the wrist). When doing dumbbell work, use a lot of wrist rotation. For example, when doing dumbbell curls or incline curls, start with your wrist facing in towards oneanother, then as you curl the weight up, turn your wrist so that your pinky finger is higher than your thumb. This will allow for full stretch and total contraction of the biceps. Using a lot of wrist rotation to get that full contraction helps bring out shape as well and that mixed with lots of flexing helps bring out the lines on the outside of the arm. That's all my opinion.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
the only negative about powrlifting is i never have enough gas in the tank to hit bis hard.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
The key to maximizing your biceps development is efficiency. If lots of volume gave great results, then no doubt we'd see just about every gym goer with outstanding biceps, but this is not the case. It's finding the right volume that works for you.

Remember that pretty much any back exercise is going to involve the biceps to some degree. With back training, the trick is full range-of-motion using the maximum weight you can handle with good form (I usually go 10, 8, 6, 4 rep scheme for rowing exercises) and also finding that groove so that you use less biceps and more back. So if you're doing heavy rowing movements and deadlifts every once in a while, you're not going to have to really kill your biceps to get development out of them. In fact, you may be doing more harm than good if you're hitting your biceps really hard every week, in which case your overall development could slow down; especially when it comes to your back.

When you do find that right volume of training (mine is about 6-8 total biceps sets per week, divided into two workouts spaced a few days apart), you still want to use maximum intensity. The one thing I see over and over again in the gym I go to is people trying to work their biceps and ending up involving their shoulders and lower back to help lift the weight. When you're working your biceps, work your biceps. Use good form and try to make the lift harder on your biceps, not easier. Start at a full extension, then with little movement of the elbow, curl the weight up in a wide arch to your shoulder where you should momentarily flex your biceps to prevent the muscle from relaxing, which takes stress off the muscle. Lower the weight slowly (2 seconds is good) and be somewhat explosive on the way up. If you find that you can't use as much weight with super strict technique, then all you have to do is use less weight. I guarantee that you'd get more out of a biceps workout if you used less weight and were super strict than if you used a lot more work but used sloppy form and let the shoulders do some of the work. The only times where you want to use some controlled cheating might be on super heavy curls, where you'd use a little momentum to help the bar up, but still go really slow on the negatives (where you're stronger). Other than that, I can't think of a biceps exercise where you wouldn't want to be strict.

wolfe14

Awards
  • Established
The key to maximizing your biceps development is efficiency. If lots of volume gave great results, then no doubt we'd see just about every gym goer with outstanding biceps, but this is not the case. It's finding the right volume that works for you.

Remember that pretty much any back exercise is going to involve the biceps to some degree. With back training, the trick is full range-of-motion using the maximum weight you can handle with good form (I usually go 10, 8, 6, 4 rep scheme for rowing exercises) and also finding that groove so that you use less biceps and more back. So if you're doing heavy rowing movements and deadlifts every once in a while, you're not going to have to really kill your biceps to get development out of them. In fact, you may be doing more harm than good if you're hitting your biceps really hard every week, in which case your overall development could slow down; especially when it comes to your back.

When you do find that right volume of training (mine is about 6-8 total biceps sets per week, divided into two workouts spaced a few days apart), you still want to use maximum intensity. The one thing I see over and over again in the gym I go to is people trying to work their biceps and ending up involving their shoulders and lower back to help lift the weight. When you're working your biceps, work your biceps. Use good form and try to make the lift harder on your biceps, not easier. Start at a full extension, then with little movement of the elbow, curl the weight up in a wide arch to your shoulder where you should momentarily flex your biceps to prevent the muscle from relaxing, which takes stress off the muscle. Lower the weight slowly (2 seconds is good) and be somewhat explosive on the way up. If you find that you can't use as much weight with super strict technique, then all you have to do is use less weight. I guarantee that you'd get more out of a biceps workout if you used less weight and were super strict than if you used a lot more work but used sloppy form and let the shoulders do some of the work. The only times where you want to use some controlled cheating might be on super heavy curls, where you'd use a little momentum to help the bar up, but still go really slow on the negatives (where you're stronger). Other than that, I can't think of a biceps exercise where you wouldn't want to be strict.
Great advice!!

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
ive had trouble with my arms for years. ive been doing high volume lateyl with moderate weight and eating a **** ton of food and finally getting worthwhile results

a bi workout would like this

preacher curls with ez curl bar- 5 sets of 8-12
alternatig dumbell curls- 5 sets of 8-12
barbell curls- 7 sets of 10 with 30 sec rest between each set

my split is
mon-legs
tues-shoulders/tris
wed-off
thurs- back/traps
fri-chest/bis
weekends off or light cardio LIGHT cardio

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
The reason that I do bi's with chest is because my bi's get hit during certain chest exercises, like flys and incline..haha mostly form grapping and lifting the big dumbells, also when i do back 4 days later my biceps really get hit again...I have decreased my bi exercises just 2 when I do chest...when i hot my back I do deadlifts and some form of pull up to so they get nailed hard, maybe too hard

YajV24

Banned
Awards
Heavy Preachers using a straight bar. Do compounds all you want, theyre great. But you want to isolate the bicep. compounds are hitting multiple muscle groups, how is this going to specifically target Bi's?

Do your iso's as well.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
My Biceps routine is

Barbell Curls 1 set 4-6 reps
DB curls 1 set
Hammer Curls 1 set

They get hit hard in back but as far as compound goes i guess you could just throw in a set or two of barbell curls