Popping noise in hamstring area...help?

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
I was doing a Sheiko workout today, rode bike to gym, light dynamic hamstring stretching, then went into the deadlifts. no pain, felt fine.

did some upper body stuff, went to rack pulls. everything was fine.

then I usually end off with some stretching.

I was doing some hamstring stuff, I was doing the one where you are standing with feet out maybe 5 feet apart, and you bend one and straighten the other, and stretch the hamstring on the straight one.

well I did this with both legs, but when I did it on my right leg, I felt popping noises in my leg near the top of the hamstring (near the glute). I didn't really feel any pain though. it just felt kinda weird and I've never experienced it before.

I was able to walk out fine, walking up the stairs I felt a little bit of pain, but I was able to walk up the stairs fine. I was able to ride my bike back fine too, very little pain while doing that. I can walk fine now, no pain either. I tried a little jogging in my apartment just to test, there's also no pain with that either.

it's only when I do something like a squatting movement or getting up out of a chair, or bending my hip a lot that I feel a little pain. I'm afraid to do bodyweight squats because I don't want to exacerbate a possible problem.

but now I am sitting here and I feel maybe a 1/10 on the pain scale, with 1 as the least amount and 10 as the most. it can't really be that bad, can it? anyone ever experience this before?

advice please?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would pay attention to it. I pulled a hamstring and it took four-five months to heal

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
I have the same thing almost everyday when I strech my muscles.

when I was a kid I always thought it was a bone popping kinda like knuckles.... before I realised muscles don't have bones.

anyways it has never effected my abilitly to lift or do cardio. But I would like to know what it is, since this has happened to me my whole life.

on a side note, when I read the this threads name I got all excited for an answer....maybe one will be coming!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you had any sort of hamstring pull/strain previously? It could be calcium or scar tissue.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Have you had any sort of hamstring pull/strain previously? It could be calcium or scar tissue.
I think I pulled my hamstring in the same area (near glute) when I was doing some sprints about a year ago. There was no popping, but it actually hurt worse than this did, and I was able to start squatting again in about a week if I remember correctly.

I am just baffled because I didn't feel any real pain when it happened. I felt my hamstring become more loose though. In the seconds before it happened it was feeling "tight" in comparison to my left hamstring. Then when the popping happened it became looser/less tight.

I would just imagine if I had really torn muscle fibers there would have been pain.

I woke up with a slight dull ache, can move around fine, walk fine, walk up/down stairs with little to no pain, rode my bike up a hill to get to the lab.

I just think if it was serious I wouldn't be able to do these things, I haven't even needed to pop an advil or anything.

And another thing is that it occurred at the end of the workout. It's not like I just started doing stretches while cold. I had been riding my bike all day and rode my bike to the gym, felt fine the entire workout, then "popooppopop"

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what did it feel like when you pulled it? how much pain was there?
I think I did mine on the adductor machine . it really was not a pop or anything one day I started doing my usual incline glute ham raises for hamstrings and I could not do them

I think the area was the adductor hamstring area

I tried doing incline glute hamstring raises and felt it there.

that was 7 months ago i am just getting back into doing incline glute hams so am taking it slow it is healed now. and if you have an injury just let it heal

crazym

Awards
I had the exact same thing as you at the bottom of a squat, first day didnt hurt, got worse the next two days then better the next few after that. 3 weeks of and i was mint.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
i play college football...i felt a slight tightness in my hamstring at the glute insertion two years ago when squatting. This tightness was never painful but just got worse and kept being agrravated...to the point where i had an ache and crummy feeling in my hamstring for six months. It deteriorated to the poiint where i couldnt run and needed two months of PT to fix it. my hamstring never "hurt" but hamstring are the worst injuries ever. I am lying in bed right now a day after acl surgery and i would say the recovery is close to hurting ure hamstring. Stop using ure leg for weeks....foam roll and relax.