Barbell curls- 2 sets 8-12 reps
Preacher curls- 2 sets 10 reps

Dumbbell wrist curls- 2 sets 20 reps
Reverse barbell curls- 2 sets 15 reps

Saturday: Legs/Abs

Squats- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Leg extensions- 3 sets 8-12 reps
Hamstring curl- 2 sets 10 reps
Romanian deads- 1 set 20 reps (light weight for burnout)

Ab machine- 3 sets 20

Cardio: 20 min Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Last edited:
JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Some background info:

Training history: On and off for 6 years, but currently coming off a 6 month layoff, training in spurts, 2 weeks here, 1 week there.

Arm size: 16 3/4"

Chest size: 43"

Waist: 34 1/2" (14% bf)

Weight: 188

Body type: Hard gainer/ecto

1 year goal: 200lbs at 9%

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Looks solid bro, except why are you squatting twice on sat? Make one of those SLDLs and you will be golden. Other than that all I would do is move the lat raises to Wednesday so the volume on the 2 days is a bit more equal.

ManBeast

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Looks solid bro, except why are you squatting twice on sat? Make one of those SLDLs and you will be golden. Other than that all I would do is move the lat raises to Wednesday so the volume on the 2 days is a bit more equal.

ManBeast
I switched squats to romanian deadlifts, also balanced out the two days. Thanks for the the comments!

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
I dunno about you but personally if I were going to do a leg auxillary lift I would do leg extensions( if the machine is available in your gym) leg presses are pretty much the same lift as squat without being quite as compound. I dont see it as a detriment to your routine just a suggestion

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Ok, now me likey a lot more :D
As for leg extensions, they are great as a finisher, not an auxillary if you ask me, JB is looking to go heavy and hard on the basics for this one, not worry about the fine details :)

ManBeast

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
I would reduce the amount of tricep and bicep work you are doing....you are doing more sets for your smallest muscles than you are for larger muscle groups it seems.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would reduce the amount of tricep and bicep work you are doing....you are doing more sets for your smallest muscles than you are for larger muscle groups it seems.
i was actually thinking that.....trying to get arms huge, overtraining may not work though =)

i knocked off Reverse one-handed pull downs, but made the skull crushes 3 instead of two. Also reduced 1 set in my preacher curl for bicep/

thus doing 5 sets for each, instead of 6. It still might be overkill though, should i drop it down to 4 sets?

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i was actually thinking that.....trying to get arms huge, overtraining may not work though =)

i knocked off Reverse one-handed pull downs, but made the skull crushes 3 instead of two. Also reduced 1 set in my preacher curl for bicep/

thus doing 5 sets for each, instead of 6. It still might be overkill though, should i drop it down to 4 sets?
i was doing 3 sets only of straight BB curls for 2 months with no weight progression. i have since dropped it down to 2 sets(this is after 5 sets for back) and have been able to go up 5 lbs each week for the last 3 weeks since i lowered the volume at the same reps. so try reducing the volume......

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
If you must do two exc for chest, tris, then I would keep the flat BB benches and add in something like dips, while still keeping one of those single tricep movements. This way you'll have the dips and BB bench working your chest, and the tri exc. and dips working your triceps. I don't know why you insist on doing both flat and incline movements, thats just me though, it seems like it would just be unecessary.

Also, if paying closer attention to heavy compounds, I would switch lat-pulls with chins. These will laso work your biceps and then you could even lower volume on your bicep work.

Alike everyone else said, your leg day is brutal holmes. I would just do squats and regular deads or rack deads.

I remember you saying that you're cutting now correct? It just seems that it would be overkill IMHO.

Good luck....

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
If you must do two exc for chest, tris, then I would keep the flat BB benches and add in something like dips, while still keeping one of those single tricep movements. This way you'll have the dips and BB bench working your chest, and the tri exc. and dips working your triceps. I don't know why you insist on doing both flat and incline movements, thats just me though, it seems like it would just be unecessary.
Dont forget that doing incline presses and dips will also blast the front head of your delts......

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
I aggree. The tris and bis are getting a lot of work each week which might impact your gains on those groups. Do your regular chest/back work and ONE exercise each for bis and tris. Also I would probably drop the leg press out of leg day and add in SLDL's. Other than that all looks good.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There sure are a lot of people with solid training philosophies here. I bounce around many BB/Lifting forums and on many of them you would have had a slew of people telling to you needed to do X, Y, and Z, because you were neglecting A, B, and C. Those people are usually clueless, and if you actually spend a little time and find out about the level these well-intended people are at, you usually find they are as bad or worse of than the guy asking for advice. I see people all the time that bench 150, squat 200, and can barely do a few pull-ups telling other trianees about how it "should be done". Usually just like they read about it in "Flex".

They will stay the same, while you will grow. Did anyone notice Goldylights post about how cutting back from 2 to 3 sets allowed a bunch of progress to be made? Everyone has different thresholds, and SOME people need to do more sets and lifts when they are stuck......but they are the few. It is all relative and often even a small reduction like above can make a world of difference.

Iron Addict

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
There sure are a lot of people with solid training philosophies here. I bounce around many BB/Lifting forums and on many of them you would have had a slew of people telling to you needed to do X, Y, and Z, because you were neglecting A, B, and C. Those people are usually clueless, and if you actually spend a little time and find out about the level these well-intended people are at, you usually find they are as bad or worse of than the guy asking for advice. I see people all the time that bench 150, squat 200, and can barely do a few pull-ups telling other trianees about how it "should be done". Usually just like they read about it in "Flex".

They will stay the same, while you will grow. Did anyone notice Goldylights post about how cutting back from 2 to 3 sets allowed a bunch of progress to be made? Everyone has different thresholds, and SOME people need to do more sets and lifts when they are stuck......but they are the few. It is all relative and often even a small reduction like above can make a world of difference.

Iron Addict
Hey IA, just to let you know, I'm still having great progress with my 9-day split. Most of the time its been a 5lb. or at least a few reps increase. Of course I still have to deal w/ the occasional set-backs, but I still stand by it with a thumbs-up...

Sorry JB, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, just reinforcing IA's statements...

Trapark666

Trapark666

Awards
I like what you have going here. The only thing I could suggest is to substitute the leg press evey other week and do 2-3 sets of box squats. I know that most don't like to do regular and box squats on the same day, but I have never got much out of leg presses and since I threw boxes in, I am happier with my progress.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So basically i plan to follow the above routine, that i have posted after editing a few times. In the second week i plan to substitute lat pulldowns for chins, and incline bench for dips, then switch off weekly.

The reason incline was included in the workout, is because i have always only done flat for the most part, and my upper chest is lacking.

As for leg day, i'm gonna come up w/ something different, probabaly knock out hamsting curls, and leg press, and throw in a set or two more of squats, dunno yet for sure.

Okay i need to know. With 5 Sets of Biceps and Triceps on top of indirectly hitting them in my push and pull movements....Am i going to overtrain?? I mean i will judge according to if my weight/reps are going up. But is 5 a good place to start and work down...or should i start with less?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I would lower the reps for most of your exercises to reps of
8-6-6, or 8-6-4. But, this depends on what you are wanting to get out of your training, and what's best for you. For abs, my suggestion would be to add some weighted leg lifts, weighted incline situps, and maybe some weighted rope crunches. This is what seems to be working for me for the time being.

Best of luck to you.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
So basically i plan to follow the above routine, that i have posted after editing a few times. In the second week i plan to substitute lat pulldowns for chins, and incline bench for dips, then switch off weekly.

The reason incline was included in the workout, is because i have always only done flat for the most part, and my upper chest is lacking.

As for leg day, i'm gonna come up w/ something different, probabaly knock out hamsting curls, and leg press, and throw in a set or two more of squats, dunno yet for sure.

Okay i need to know. With 5 Sets of Biceps and Triceps on top of indirectly hitting them in my push and pull movements....Am i going to overtrain?? I mean i will judge according to if my weight/reps are going up. But is 5 a good place to start and work down...or should i start with less?
Yes, the reason I asked about the incline and decline is because its not needed. Your chest msucle is just one big muscle, not different parts. When doing incline, decline, etc. your still working your whole chest, but the different positions will just target more in that area, and rather just recruit more fiber make-up in those areas. So if your upper chest is lagging just stick with incline for awhile. Also, when growth occurs in the chest, it usually fills in from the inside-out and from the bottom-up.

As for your bis' and tri's, for me it would be overtraining, unless I was trying to breakthrough a plateau, but you might be able to, dunno. If I were you, I would start from 1-2 sets and keep adding until you hit a wall like IA says and then ease up a bit.

Honestly, for the past few months or so, I have only been doing 1 set of a bicep movement, 2 sets for tri's (close-grips), and one set for forearms (usually reverse wrist curls or reverse BB curls) and I've seen the most strength and size more than ever.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
First off, what's happening Brother! :)

If you're thinking of adding size, keep the reps low and the weight heavy.. If you want to increase your arms, your whole body should increase in girth as well.. ;)

Separate triceps from chest work, your tris will be fried from benching.. Traps and delts would be fine, just make sure you don't use too much front delt when you bench(which is why I gave up barbell bench pressing)..

Leg extensions are good for overall shape, I feel they made a difference when I used them in my training, I have more of a shape to my quads.. I do them heavy, 8-10 reps..

Gettin' to 200 @ 9% would take some clean eatin', trust me.. ;) I'm not sure if I'm 9% or not, don't care either.. You'll only overtrain if you don't rest enough, or eat enough.. If I think of anything else, I'll be back! :D

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
took out leg press and put in leg extensions, to help build overall shape, and to make my leg day more bearable.

Decreased bicep+tricep exercises to 4 sets, (2 exercises with 2 sets each)

going to try this routine and see where i stand w/ the reps. i'll probabaly change that.

I guess thats about it then, i'm all set unless someone has any other minor tweaks. Thanks for all your help everyone.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
okay i figured i'd come back and leave some feedback. I hit 17" arms today, so i've had a 1/4" gain on my arms.

Bodyweight has gone from 188 to 193 while bf% has gone from 14% to 13.4%

I've switched to dumbbells for bicep and tricep training because my left arm seems to be majorly lacking in size when compared to my right.

I'm not following a set number of reps at this point. Just basically trying to increase the weight, and looking at my log i'm making a great deal of progress as far as weight is concerned.

Now onto my confessions:
I've been kinda skimping in my squats, i know i can have way better squat sets than i actually do, it's something i really need to work on!

Also i'm still grasping this less is better concept. I'm doing pretty good except for bi's and tris. In order to get an extra set in for bi's and tri's i lower the weight a slight amount and call it a "warm up", also something i need to work on!

Otherwise all is well!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Good work on the body recomp, now get in that squat cage and hit it `till ya puke. :D

ManBeast

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
c'mon blaze, remeber there is more to the body than just arms :gore:

What are your calf measurements? ;)

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Id say get your heart rate up on the treadmill for about 3-5 minutes before lifting, this will get blood flowing, and promote more fat burning during your lifting. I know when I am looking to slim down, while adding lBM, this is what I do and it works well.

Also I would lower the reps a bit for the larger muscles, but using an increase weight obviously. Personally I have experienced the best growth in my chest so far with doing 4-6 (usually 4) with heavy weights, If I can do more then 6 I up the weight.. I have been doing this for the past 3 weeks and everyone at work and in my home life is telling me I got bigger.

This has been working for me, but obviously what you are doing seems to be working. just .02

h19

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Id say get your heart rate up on the treadmill for about 3-5 minutes before lifting, this will get blood flowing, and promote more fat burning during your lifting. I know when I am looking to slim down, while adding lBM, this is what I do and it works well.

h19
i bike to go lift and it takes me about 10 min to get there, so i guess i might be doing that =D

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I always get 5-10 in on the elliptical before a workout. I like to get the heart moving first - Ive noticed much better pumps doing a little cardio before lifting.
Plus it helps the blood going - like a pre-warm up warmup:)

BigV

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
-MVP- Training Forum 5
-MVP- Training Forum 8
P.brow17 Training Forum 4
Workout Logs 0
Training Forum 8