bb upright rows

grigs

grigs

Awards
what diference when you take bar close grip and wide grip?
thanks

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Close grip hits the front delts and traps more. Widening the grip will activate the lateral delt head more.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Close grip hits the front delts and traps more. Widening the grip will activate the lateral delt head more.
Jay Cutler swears he's discovered his own unique way of doing Db lateral raises, but the bend at his elbows combined with the knuckles forward grip, simply mimics a wide grip upright row.

What Lonewolf said and furthermore, the further out the grip, the less involved the traps become.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I usually do bb upright's in my shoulder routine. Always wide grip.

Today instead of bb I switched to db's. Light weight, good form, wide pull. I wanted to really feel the contraction. WOW, my lateral heads blew up.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I can't do wide-grip BB UR rows... they kill my wrists. The best thing I did for my shoulders was to start doing cleans.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't do wide-grip BB UR rows... they kill my wrists. The best thing I did for my shoulders was to start doing cleans.
+1!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bZPBAgaVs"]YouTube - LSU Tigers Coach Tom Morfitt: The Hang Clean Exercise[/ame]

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
What's your set & rep range with your hang cleans?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
What's your set & rep range with your hang cleans?
Working sets = 5 x 4 reps

Note: this isn't to absolute failure, but moreso of form failure. I keep the rep ranges short because this is a bit of a technical lift compared to others. It's a 6-joint movement (if you count the wrists)... ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrists.

TaPo31

Awards
This, along with that if you pull upright rows very high, regardless of grip, you will activate the traps to a certain degree.

BifWebster

Awards
I like doing wide grip upright rows on a cable with a long bar (lat pulldown bar), feels much safer on the shoulders and the constant tension is nice, upright rows really shouldnt be an exercise to go very heavy on because of the stress they place on the shoulders, the only problem doing them with cables is that you might max out the stack pretty quickly (my gym it goes to 150, which is so much easier than 159 lbs freeweight. You can add to the stack though to solve this problem if your gym's staff doesnt say anything to you.

grigs

grigs

Awards
I like doing wide grip upright rows on a cable with a long bar (lat pulldown bar), feels much safer on the shoulders and the constant tension is nice, upright rows really shouldnt be an exercise to go very heavy on because of the stress they place on the shoulders, the only problem doing them with cables is that you might max out the stack pretty quickly (my gym it goes to 150, which is so much easier than 159 lbs freeweight. You can add to the stack though to solve this problem if your gym's staff doesnt say anything to you.
how wide you taking bar?

BifWebster

Awards
hands are just beyond shoulder width grip, only pull it up to around the nipple line

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
By the way, upright rows and then side laterals make for a great superset.