can lighter weight squats = growth - AnabolicMinds.com

can lighter weight squats = growth

1. The Axe Man Cometh!!

can lighter weight squats = growth

I've finally got my squat back up to about 400 (not too bad for a guy who tore his calf and threw his back out twice all within the last year). Problem is I dont think my left knee can take the weight any more. It hurts like hell for atleast 3 days afterward, been to a doc and it is the cartilage that is worn down. It doesnt seem to hurt as bad if I use lighter weight though.
    SO can I still build up my legs if I use lower weight and higher reps or has anyone tried this and been successful?

Thanks

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.

A lot of people like very high reps for legs, 20 rep breathing Squats come to mind. As does at 10x10 GVT-style set.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  3. Senior Member

Im one who preferes moderate to higher repitions on squats. My left knee has always been a little more fragile than my right as well, from back in HS days when i played ball. You will have no problems developing your legs with higher rep squats, as long you keep blasting away at them with good intensity, all while having solid form
    Sage
    •   

4. Professional Member

I agree with Sage. Also you have to remember we go to the gym to get bigger, better, and healthier, not to get hurt. I also sometimes have knee problems and if there acting up I simply don't do squats. I want bodybuilding to be a life sport not something I did when I was younger. So play it safe bro hit those higher rep squats and you'll be good to go.
  5. Advanced Member

Try going lighter and slowly increase the wieght.
  6. New Member

I widened my stance to what the westside guys suggested 6"-12" wider than your shoulders and make sur your head is back and you push with weight over your heels.
    My squat is 400-410 and I also have one of those ex "clicker" left knees due to adolescent thrashing. I have few problems with it anymore.
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

I heard somewhere that your quads, hamstrings, and calves are "slow twitch" muscles and because of this, should be trained with reps of 15-20. I still do reps of 6-8, but what do you guys think?

Legs usually respond great to higher reps, and if your heart and lungs can take it, you may find you get great growth doing 30 rep squats instead of the traditional 20's.

Iron Addict
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron addict
    Legs usually respond great to higher reps, and if your heart and lungs can take it, you may find you get great growth doing 30 rep squats instead of the traditional 20's.

Iron Addict
    Holy crap...30 rep squats?! I recently began doing 20's and my legs are hella ripped up for two days after. I'm gonna have to try the 30's when I've worked up to it.
  10. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron addict

Iron Addict
    I've always stuck with sets of 4-8 reps with squats. Recently started higher reps on hacks after regular squats (3 sets 6 reps ~400). Doing one set of hacks afterwards right now at 10 reps close to failure (mental?) then catch my breath and get as many more as I can (~5) catch breath and as many more as I can again. This just fries my legs. How many high rep sets like this are you guys doing, more then 1? How do you adjust volume on VS/ off cycle.

Heavy 20's are usually done for one work set only. If they are done in more or less continuous fashion meaning with a weight that allows about 15 reps before you have to stop and breath, you can do a second set. This is NOT the best way to do them IMO though. And the time honored "kill yourself" to get one set of 20 is the way to go.

Iron Addict
  12. New Member

Great advice, Thanks!

Similar Forum Threads

1. can i replace squats with another exercise
    By mr mass in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 06:34 AM
  2. Lighter Weights & Maintaining Muscle
    By AnthonyIOSOS in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 11:23 AM