The so-called "2 weeks off" they recommend - AnabolicMinds.com

The so-called "2 weeks off" they recommend

1. New Member

The so-called "2 weeks off" they recommend

With a PL meet on Sunday I am taking this week as my "off" week they recommend to help prevent overtraining and to avoid too many plateaus. I know they (AST-SS and other BBing experts) say you should take two weeks off here and there, but if I didn't lift for just one week, is that the same thing? Reason I say so is cuz let's say Monday Feb. 2 I did my chest, but taking this week off I skipped Monday, but then resumed this coming Monday, the 16th. Now that's TWO weeks off of lifting forthat body part, even though I only went ONE complete week of NO lifting. Ya see where I'm coming from?

So should I take 1 or 2 weeks of absolutely no lifting?

2. The Axe Man Cometh!!

The week off is to help the CNS recover not necessarily any body parts. I would just take one week off, I've taken two off before and noticed no added benefit of the extra week off.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

May depend on how far into overtraining you are. If you have been hammering yourself it could take a while to get CNS, liver values, tendons et cetera all rested up and healed.

But likely 14 days is being pretty conservative.
    •   

4. Professional Member

It is also dependent on how your train. Certain training methods are much more taxing on the CNS than others.
  5. New Member

That's correct, the harder the training program, the more recovery you will need, anyways the basis standard is 1 week off training.
  6. New Member

Gotcha all. Ah yes, I couldn't live another week without lifting anyways, I'm not even done with my full week off yet and I keep thinking I'm wasting away like an AIDS patient. Comes to show how important lifting is after years of doing it!
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Gotcha all. Ah yes, I couldn't live another week without lifting anyways, I'm not even done with my full week off yet and I keep thinking I'm wasting away like an AIDS patient. Comes to show how important lifting is after years of doing it!
    I would say it shows more of how powerful the mind is. You're not wasting away in a week bro, it's all in your head. Lifting is psychologically addictive for all of us.

To answer the question though, I'd aggree that one week should be enough unless you've been training very hard for a long time without a break.
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    I would say it shows more of how powerful the mind is. You're not wasting away in a week bro, it's all in your head. Lifting is psychologically addictive for all of us.

To answer the question though, I'd aggree that one week should be enough unless you've been training very hard for a long time without a break.
    I know it's 99% mental but I'm afraid that'll ruin my confidence at my powerlifting meet on Sunday. If I come in there thinking I'm weak, I'll lift weak.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Just make sure to do your warm ups properly the day of the meet. They should get you stoked for big poundages if done properly.
  10. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    Just make sure to do your warm ups properly the day of the meet. They should get you stoked for big poundages if done properly.
    I hate to say it, but I'm very unfamiliar with proper warm-up and stretching techniques. Can you lend me any advice you may have off the top of your head? I have somewhat of an idea of how to warm-up and what not but I could use a lil veteran advice if someone can lend me some. I usually do very little stretching/warming up cuz I'm not accustomed to doing one rep maxes, they're usually saved for the end of my workout...I think warming up/stretching is a lot more important for doing a one rep max (PL meet) than it is for a regular workout.
  11. New Member

I think AST just recommends taking off a single week every 8-10 weeks of training.
  12. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    I hate to say it, but I'm very unfamiliar with proper warm-up and stretching techniques. Can you lend me any advice you may have off the top of your head? I have somewhat of an idea of how to warm-up and what not but I could use a lil veteran advice if someone can lend me some. I usually do very little stretching/warming up cuz I'm not accustomed to doing one rep maxes, they're usually saved for the end of my workout...I think warming up/stretching is a lot more important for doing a one rep max (PL meet) than it is for a regular workout.
    Do a search in the training forum for a warm-up post that PC1 made. It was really well thought out.

~Todd
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Cool

I generally recommend something like this: (using my max of 305 pounds bench as an example )

1 set = very light 10 reps (for me 135 pounds)
    2 set = 185 for 8reps
    3 set = 260 for 3 reps
    4 set = 280 for 1 rep

By this point I'm primed and ready. The 280 should have been relatively easy and just got me accustomed to the weights I'm going to encounter in the actual lift during the contest.

Then just before I head out to the competition area I perform a "lift off" with my actual max poundage or slightly heavier (like 310-315). This is mearly a mind teaser to get the feel of the actual weight in my hands without using up too much energy.

That's it. I usually run through these fairly quickly with only about 30-40 seconds between each set. Test it out and keep track of between set times and what weights you used. With a little experimentation you should be able to come up with some percentages of your 1RM that work well for you. Best of luck.

Gethuge

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Taking two weeks off from the gym good?
    By johnjohn12345 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 02:19 AM