ab training 101

keater824

keater824

Awards
i have two questions about ab training

A. which is better for lower abs and devolepment for overall abs double crunch or reverse crunch

B. is this a balance ab workout

decline crunch 4 sets 25 reps
ab machine 4 sets 25 reps
double crunch or reverse crunch 4 sets 25 reps

thanks

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have two questions about ab training

A. which is better for lower abs and devolepment for overall abs double crunch or reverse crunch

B. is this a balance ab workout

decline crunch 4 sets 25 reps
ab machine 4 sets 25 reps
double crunch or reverse crunch 4 sets 25 reps

thanks
A. You are going to work ALL of your rectus abdominus (i.e. lower and overall) with ANY abdominal exercise that you do. Either a double crunch or reverse crunch will work.

B. That looks fine. Change your ab sessions up every week (i.e. don't keep them the same). And you only need ~100 reps per session (not per exercise) TWICE a week.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok thanks for all your help.... Reps
No worries (there are waaay too many myths about abs and training; got to dispel some of them!) :)

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
I beleive I read the bicycle workout stimulates most if not all abdominal muscles.. But as Guejsn said, situps and crunches usually DO workout all of them as well.
Switch it up as she said; there's TONS of workouts for abs.. find which ones seem to work best for you :D

chris808costa

chris808costa

Awards
Is Ab Ripper from P90X a really god ab workout?

xink

Awards
  • Established
Is Ab Ripper from P90X a really god ab workout?
I hadn't seen it before by YouTube shows this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzjjJVy3Ew"]YouTube - P90X Ab Ripper X[/ame]

Looks like it covers a lot.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
The p90 abs video is very tough. Stick through the entire routine, don't quit cause you think an excerise is dumb! Those are usuallythe ones that work the most

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
sit ups are a worthless ab exercise as far as i am concerned do pull ups on parrelel bars with legs legs out front parrelel to ground, or any hanging leg raise

AlmostRipped

Awards
The abs are actually 4 major muscle groups as listed below......

* Transverse Abdominis (TVA)-The deepest of the abdominal muscles, this lies under the obliques (muscles of your waist). It acts like a weight belt, wrapping around your spine for protection and stability.Target Exercise: Plank
* External Obliques-These muscles are on the side and front of the abdomen, around your waist.Target Exercise: Arm Sweep
* Internal Obliques-These muscles lie under the external obliques, running in the opposite direction.Target Exercise: Crossover Crunch
* Rectus Abdominis-The Rectus Abdominis is a long muscle that extends along the front of the abdomen. This is the 'six-pack' part of the abs that becomes visible with reduced body fat. Target Exercise: Crunch
* Erector Spinae -The erector spinae is actually a collection of three muscles along your neck to your lower back. Target Exercise: Back Extension

http://www.softballperformance.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/image/absbig.jpg

Picture^^^

I do 1 excercise for each of these regions 10-12 reps in circuit fashion. When you can do 3 sets, change the excercises constantly, and if you can use weights. If you haven't noticed Abs are pretty resilent, I am never sore the next day even when I blast them, and I don't even have a cut midsection yet.....

I am working on UD2 right now and have incorporated this ab work into the diet, It is working great, but I still have to get rid of the last layer, I personally don't like to go on the invalidated information (meaning information I haven't proven to be true on myself yet) this workout actually comes from The Abs Diet book, and while it is mainstream, and heavily marketed, people have found their six pack using it. I plan on finding mine =). Hope that is useful. Good luck!

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
sit ups are a worthless ab exercise as far as i am concerned do pull ups on parrelel bars with legs legs out front parrelel to ground, or any hanging leg raise
situps on the high board are one of 3 exercises i do. If you are looking for strength i think they are very good.

JuveCalcio

JuveCalcio

Awards
The P90X ab ripper workouts are very good. We did them during the soccer season and it seemed to build up my endurance in my core.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
I found that incorporating mountain climbers into my ab/core workout does wonders

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on what you want your abs to look like, mine have to be thick an blocky looking so weighted exercises. If I am going above 15 reps then I increase the weight. I will even do them DC style. Oh and wheel of death makes a wonderfull pre-exhaust.