5x5 squat and deadlifts

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.62%

5x5 squat and deadlifts

So im on a 5x5 workout and ive been doing 5 sets of 5 reps for every exercise staying at the same weight. I always do a few warmpups before the 5x5 begins. Was thinking about changing it for squats and deads and ramping weights. That way my top set is my overall working set. This allows me to warm up to the heavyier weights better. whats everyones input? Also im doing deads on tuesday, back squats on thursday, and front squats on saturday. Think this is going to result in over training?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Post what your specific workout is. Some say, add a little weight each set, 5lbs. Then the next week, you start with weight you used for set 2 on previous week. Or, some say use same weight for entire workout, then add weight next week. This way, you are still progressing on weight as time goes on. I think back squats on thurs and front squats on sat is a bit much. I don't see how your legs aren't still hurting on saturday if you hit them hard enough on thurs.

What is your goal you want to accomplish?
  3. ato ucf

check out the madcow 5x5 website i dont have the link but just google it ...its got a template where you enter your max's and it will bascially formulate a workout for you. after 4 weeks of 'warming up' to the program it has you hitting pr's everyweek in the gym, i usually just 'warmup' for 2 weeks but thats me. if you follow the program you will see great results.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

if you're only going to the gym those 3 days (standard 5x5) don't worry about overtraining.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.12%

Quote Originally Posted by ato ucf View Post
    check out the madcow 5x5 website i dont have the link but just google it ...its got a template where you enter your max's and it will bascially formulate a workout for you. after 4 weeks of 'warming up' to the program it has you hitting pr's everyweek in the gym, i usually just 'warmup' for 2 weeks but thats me. if you follow the program you will see great results.
    Madcows/Bill Starrs 5x5 is amazing. Before the Corps, I followed Bill Starrs 5x5 to the T. My squats went up to 450lbs. Unfortunatly, my Bench didnt go up much (I hate benching). I was on it for about 6 or so months, really cant remember. But I loved it.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.05%

Are you eating enough?
  7. ato ucf

Quote Originally Posted by JassUSMC View Post
    Madcows/Bill Starrs 5x5 is amazing. Before the Corps, I followed Bill Starrs 5x5 to the T. My squats went up to 450lbs. Unfortunatly, my Bench didnt go up much (I hate benching). I was on it for about 6 or so months, really cant remember. But I loved it.

I agree, its definitely one of the best programs for beginners to put quality strength on because it focuses on building core strength using lifts which so many people leave out entirely. Its basic principles are something I think almost everyone should try to learn from.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.73%

5x5 is the alpha and omega of all workouts form beginners-to-advance. Of everything I have tried I always come back to it.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.62%

didnt have internet for awhile but thanks for the input. To answer the eating question im eating like a mad man. Very clean but very much. 60-80 grams of carbs per meal 30-40 grams of protein...limited fat ie 10 grams per meal. Eating around 7 meals a day 4 shakes 3 meals= 4000 calories

i just lift the three days and week and then train jiu jitsu every day other then that. So far the ramping off weights on squats to work better. I feel like the overall intensity is greater because im able to hit a much higher weight on my end set. to complete 5 sets of five reps at a lower weight id have to do much less. Just got a book on bill stars 5x5 so im thinking about training with that.

Whats everyones input on lifting to failure on deads and squats. Everything else i push myself to failure on my last set because its easily supported when i fail ie. a partner or non overhead movement. Failing on squats sucks. I have no power rack so its more of a f*ck-and-pitch method in which i realize im not making it up and pitch the weight back.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I don't think you want to pitch the weight off you if you fail on squat. If you don't have a power rack or any kind of support you could drop onto, then I say just leave one in the bag for next set. It's not worth totally screwing up your back if something goes wrong.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Split Squat and Single Leg Squat
    By athletor in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
  2. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
  3. how much less will a front squat be than a back squat be on average?
    By underdog13 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
  4. Need Help with Bench, Deadlifts, and Squat ?
    By The Paper Route in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:01 PM