Belted Squats

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
I know you should do your squats without a belt as it works the midsection and increases core strength.

But is doing belted squats a good way to overload the legs since the belt is increasing the tension of your spinal erectors?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I know you should do your squats without a belt as it works the midsection and increases core strength.

But is doing belted squats a good way to overload the legs since the belt is increasing the tension of your spinal erectors?
The belt does not increase tension, it has no ability to stimulate neural control. You want to 'overload' your legs by doing weight you feel your soft tissues aren't capable of supporting? Joint Damage?

MarleyDog

Awards
y
The belt does not increase tension, it has no ability to stimulate neural control. You want to 'overload' your legs by doing weight you feel your soft tissues aren't capable of supporting? Joint Damage?
Correct. However, the are some benefits of wearing a belt during squats beyond minimized fatigue of the lumbar paraspinal muscles. Namely, 1.) improving "perceived" comfort on the midsection during squats and 2.) decreasing spinal shrinkage (yes, repeated heavy loads on the spine during squats can make you shorter and wearing a belt may minimize this effect).

J Sports Med. 1991 December; 25(4): 209–212.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
y

Correct. However, the are some benefits of wearing a belt during squats beyond minimized fatigue of the lumbar paraspinal muscles. Namely, 1.) improving "perceived" comfort on the midsection during squats and 2.) decreasing spinal shrinkage (yes, repeated heavy loads on the spine during squats can make you shorter and wearing a belt may minimize this effect).

J Sports Med. 1991 December; 25(4): 209–212.
Belts, when used properly, stabilize hip extension thus reducing activation of those extensors.

I would like to see your source (more than one study) on the use of belts and spinal compression.

MarleyDog

Awards
Belts, when used properly, stabilize hip extension thus reducing activation of those extensors.

I would like to see your source (more than one study) on the use of belts and spinal compression.
Interesting that you request more sources from me (even though I provide 1 from a reputable jounal), but you don't post your own. Not that I would even try call you out. Very well:

Kingma, I; Faber, GS; Suwarganda, EK; et al.
Effect of a stiff lifting belt on spine compression during lifting
SPINE, 31 (22): E833-E839 OCT 15 2006

Ivancic, PC; Cholewicki, J; Radebold, A
Effects of the abdominal belt on muscle-generated spinal stability and L4/L5 joint compression force
ERGONOMICS, 45 (7): 501-513 JUN 2002

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Interesting that you request more sources from me (even though I provide 1 from a reputable jounal), but you don't post your own. Not that I would even try call you out. Very well:

Kingma, I; Faber, GS; Suwarganda, EK; et al.
Effect of a stiff lifting belt on spine compression during lifting
SPINE, 31 (22): E833-E839 OCT 15 2006

Ivancic, PC; Cholewicki, J; Radebold, A
Effects of the abdominal belt on muscle-generated spinal stability and L4/L5 joint compression force
ERGONOMICS, 45 (7): 501-513 JUN 2002
I didn't call you out. I wanted to further read about it. The mechanics of lifting belts are commonly known.

MarleyDog

Awards
Fair enough. I have access to some of these journals if you would like copies. Although you should be able to go through PUBMED for most of them.

The only reason I took a somewhat defensive stance with your post is that you seemed dismissive on the orignal posters question and on the use of belts for squats. I believe there are benefits to using a belt (you have even listed one yourself) and it is important to discuss the pros as well as the cons before implying someone shouldn't use one.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
my knees and ankles are have been injured from wrestling and baseball, i wrap my knees when im moving heavier weights