Cutting

mgpugong

Awards
Hi guys

im 19, just started going to gym 2 months ago..now i had my foundation,i guess.
Now im looking forward to cut..i read articles saying light weights with high reps..well how should i do this..
i mean on 3 day split..whole body workout..
or daily somewhat like MWF=chest/tri/legs T/TH/S=back/bicep
im also doing now HIIT splitting with cardio..

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would suggest doing full body workouts every time you lift weights. Incorporating compound movements like squats, deadlifts, chin-ups, pull-ups, dips, bench, lunges, step ups, etc. will be great for helping you drop fat. 3-4 days of weight lifting is sufficient. Try to vary your movements every time you go into the gym
You don't have to lift lighter weights with higher reps to lose fat. Lift as heavy as you can every time you workout, regardless of the rep number. You can change up your reps and sets with every workout so that your body wont adapt as quickly to your routine.

Doing HIIT will definitely help speed up the fat loss process. Adding some supplements to your diet like BCAAs and protein powder will help you retain your muscle and drop fat during your cut. Drinking over a gallon of water a day is optimum.

Are you really 130 lbs like your profile says? If so you may want to consider gaining a lot more muscle or recomping before starting a hard core cut!

mgpugong

Awards
just checked it, im 138..

i had to eliminate those BF around my back and core.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
just checked it, im 138..

i had to eliminate those BF around my back and core.

I would highly suggest that you focus on gaining some more muscle, rather than dropping fat. The more muscle you have, the easier it will be for you to drop fat, and at 138 you likely don't have much of either.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your formula for getting big

dont worry about"cutting" worry about pounding down the food and lifting heavy weights for the next couple years. if bodyfat does get a bit out of hand, control it by your diet. no cuts just smoothly control it with calories

do this for a few years and put some muscle on...dont worry about cutting now all that will do is eat your muscle up

trust me my first year of lifting I got big though powerliffting (went from 175-216 in ten months all though pure eating and creatine added 10 lbs in two weeks)and that summer I wanted to be cut for the beach. while I got real cut I lost a lot of precious mass, and strength I worked my ace off for. I wish i knew what i knew now! Learn from my mistake. I would be starving myself and doing high intensity cardio and wondering why my strength was declining ahhh what i wouldnt give to go back to the future

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about cutting too, but I'm thinking it might just be in my head.

I have always been relatively skinny. Close to 6'2 and was always between 180 - 190 lbs. Recently I gained some weight and I'm at a solid 200. Which is PROBABLY where I need to be.

The weight gain came after finally working my legs, doing squats regularly for the first time in my life for the past 9 months along with calf raises, leg press, etc, and drinking a pre and post workout protein shake.

I have seriously neglected cardio for a few years, but I'm starting to incorporate it back into the workout... I like being lean.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah theres a big diiference of keeping bodyfat in checking and hard cutting.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
A person can maintain their current weight by dropping fat and gaining muscle at the same time. It is more difficult than focusing on one or the other, but I definitely like it much better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 25
Supplements 31
delsolrob Anabolics 7
Supplements 13
Supplements 1