Nagging pec pain

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%

Nagging pec pain

I've had an issue with my pec for some time now, and I don't know what's wrong. It feels like a sharp pain on some movements and recently has been achy for a while. I'm ok to do incline chest movements with no pain, but Ive stopped doing reg. for fear of continuing damage.

It feels like my pec minor because I have to dig a bit with my finger to find the sore spot. And it doesn't seem to be located where the pec attaches. I've put up a picture showing the location.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  133 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.75%

looks like a torn tendon..
    do you do heavy bench pressing or heavy flyers?..
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%

I haven't done bench press itself for like 2 years, but this is an old injury... I thought the tendon tended to rip at the anchor point?

Also, there is no deformity, and just a very specific pain location.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.39%

it very well could be nerve pain, impingement sometimes causes atrophy and pain but not necessarily to the point where its visible. You may wanna check with a doctor to see if its a nerve issue sometimes some rest is needed
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.51%

You would know if it was a tendon sheesh. Were you doing heavy flyes? Without a proper warm-up? Because I tore up that part of my pec pretty good about 10- years ago in the same place. Rest, hot tub, Advil then something hardcore to rub on. When is feels a little loose do light stretching. If your in serious pain radiating through your chest or a sharp pointing one that takes your breath away,I would go see a GP immediately.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    You would know if it was a tendon sheesh. Were you doing heavy flyes? Without a proper warm-up? Because I tore up that part of my pec pretty good about 10- years ago in the same place. Rest, hot tub, Advil then something hardcore to rub on. When is feels a little loose do light stretching. If your in serious pain radiating through your chest or a sharp pointing one that takes your breath away,I would go see a GP immediately.
    I cannot even remember when the pain first started. It was easily 3 years ago. The thing is, I can stretch just fine, no problems. There is also no pain radiating through. Also, I'm very careful about stretching and do it properly every day I go to the gym. I've been digging a permanent marker end into the exact spot. I'm taking a week off to see how I feel and icing it.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.51%

Quote Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
    I cannot even remember when the pain first started. It was easily 3 years ago. The thing is, I can stretch just fine, no problems. There is also no pain radiating through. Also, I'm very careful about stretching and do it properly every day I go to the gym. I've been digging a permanent marker end into the exact spot. I'm taking a week off to see how I feel and icing it.
    I would change up my exercise routine to avoid the pain for a long while.Try to let it heal then see if there was any improvement.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%

I would change up my exercise routine to avoid the pain for a long while.Try to let it heal then see if there was any improvement.
    Yeah I definitely did that. I only do pushups now. I think I may have went too low on one and reinjured it. For a while I was doing pretty well and not having pain, which makes me think that maybe it's not torn tendons.

I'm sticking to incline hammer press after this week off is done. They don't hurt my pec. High reps as well. I'm also taking a break from pulldowns/pullups.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.51%

Yeah I definitely did that. I only do pushups now. I think I may have went too low on one and reinjured it. For a while I was doing pretty well and not having pain, which makes me think that maybe it's not torn tendons.

I'm sticking to incline hammer press after this week off is done. They don't hurt my pec. High reps as well. I'm also taking a break from pulldowns/pullups.
    If it wan torn tendons you would know and would have been into a hospital immediately. The scream one of my friends made when doing stiff legged deadlifts and popping a tendon in his leg was infreakinghuman. It could very well be pectoral tendinitis though, it takes along time to recover from that. Advil is your friend.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%

If it wan torn tendons you would know and would have been into a hospital immediately. The scream one of my friends made when doing stiff legged deadlifts and popping a tendon in his leg was infreakinghuman.
    Somehow, that made me feel better
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.51%

Somehow, that made me feel better
    lol
  12. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

also something doc rarly! check for and could cause this is torn cartliege next to ur sternum. ))))**()**(((( sternum in center * is the carliege and followed by ribs
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i have on my left check and feel similar pain
  14. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

cure for this was, 1month of of weights to heal cartliege and aleve (i belive) the blue liquid pills
  15. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

then again every one is diff. ask ur doc about this
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.06%

Quote Originally Posted by jay21 View Post
    also something doc rarly! check for and could cause this is torn cartliege next to ur sternum. ))))**()**(((( sternum in center * is the carliege and followed by ribs
    you are thinking of costochondritis or a subluxing costochondral cartilage. Would be tender over the cartilage very near the sternum.

OP: Most likely is an intramuscular tear of the muscle belly. Would explain the location. Can be fairly insidious onset. Takes ages to heal as pec used in so many daily activities.
    Treatment is rest, ice/heat and an inflammatory. Ibuprofen gel etc actually works.

Not likely nerve impingement as no major sensory nerve there only motor to the pecs. Offside chance referred pain from cervical nerve impingement (disc) but usually bigger area, no local tenderness and also some sensory change

hope that helps
  17. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

yes def. to the anti inflamantory but my doc gave me aleve not IB but i had similar pain but it is more likely to be a muscle belly tear like u said. i just wanted to point out that he has an option to ask the doc. about the sternum thing since i had same pinchin pain he described and thats what it was
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.06%

Quote Originally Posted by jay21 View Post
    yes def. to the anti inflamantory but my doc gave me aleve not IB but i had similar pain but it is more likely to be a muscle belly tear like u said. i just wanted to point out that he has an option to ask the doc. about the sternum thing since i had same pinchin pain he described and thats what it was
    sure, good thought. Not many of my colleaugues think of it. Could also be inflammation of the tendon origin at it's muscle end (enthisitis) rather than the more usual tendinitis
  19. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

correct correct

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 08:07 AM
  2. Kidney Pain or Lower Back Pain?
    By MF210 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 14