l4/l5 herniation

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
after a herniation and the fluid inside the disk breaks thru the disk barrier, where does the fluid go? will it eventually go away, or will you have to have it drained? ive been taking glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM and cissus RX(6pills/day) for over two months to help the healing and my back feels fine but i was wondering what is going on inside the disk area. should i go for another MRI, or what??

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Gabapentin acts on the GABA receptors and is used for seizures and nerve pain. How would this effect muscle strength(contraction etc.), protein synthesis and pretty much anything to do with my goals of strength training? I have a herniated disk and doctor might put me on this, just wanted to check it out first....

DrMorris

DrMorris

Awards
The fluid will be absorbed after some time. I would avoid the meds. do to the fact that they will make the healing time longer. Try a tens unit for the pain. Mobilization of the spine is the most well researched treatment option. See a chiropractor, or a PT.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
definitely go to the chiropractor, I work for one doing therapys and coordinating our wellness programs.. we just got a decompression table that actually pulls your spine, and sucks that fluid back in.

Silver3CSRT8

Silver3CSRT8

Awards
  • Established
I ended up geting 2 spinal injections to relieve the pain I was experiencing after tearing my L4/L5 disk. Supposedly it will never fully heal, but I was getting pressure on the syatic nerve that was making my entire left leg and ass hurt constantly. I am finally better after 3-4 months of pain.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I ended up geting 2 spinal injections to relieve the pain I was experiencing after tearing my L4/L5 disk. Supposedly it will never fully heal, but I was getting pressure on the syatic nerve that was making my entire left leg and ass hurt constantly. I am finally better after 3-4 months of pain.
we get people with sciatic nerve problems all the time at my office, we adjust them and I am always doing therapy on them, usually muscle stimulation and deep high volt... we can get you better from that in about a month or so, drug free!

DrMorris

DrMorris

Awards
The recovery time always depends on the severity. The disc can not actually put pressure on the sciatic nerve. It puts pressure on the nerve roots of the plexus, but not actually the nerve (to be technical). The injections are actually a fairly poor treatment and can cause severe side effects. I would make sure you pay attention to that before having it done again. The British Journal Of Medicine recommended chiropractic manipulation as the primary treatment for low back pain.

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
we get people with sciatic nerve problems all the time at my office, we adjust them and I am always doing therapy on them, usually muscle stimulation and deep high volt... we can get you better from that in about a month or so, drug free!
Hell yeah man, this sh*t worked wonders for me. I love that feeling, always walk out feeling full of energy :thumbsup:

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah man, this sh*t worked wonders for me. I love that feeling, always walk out feeling full of energy :thumbsup:
I have a l4/l5 buldging disc and a l5/s1 herniation. I have been dealing with this injury for just over a year, I have had 2 epidural injections. Chiro did nothing for me, Naproxen, ice packs, and mckenzy stretches have been my best friend. Avoid sitting at all cost and get a good Physical therapist let me know if you have any questions

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the info guys. really have been wanting to do the decompression therapy.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
A good chiropractor would have had you doing all three of those listed. We do it everyday.
That's great, however, some can't wait to shuffle through 100 chiro's just to find one...

Moreover, I did not get anything of substance from the chiropractor that I was seeing. The decompression table they used was the drx version and it was decent, at best. I started using Grunt's protocol about 3 weeks ago and have had WAY BETTER success for my injury than 3-4 months of trial and error. His method, along with PT, has been my stellar road to recovery, but still a ways to go.

I originally injured mine about 8 years ago, stopped doing deads and heavy squats for 13 months, and the pain went away. So, i started lifting heavy again, and, actually, went 2 years with very heavy lifting and no pain. Just one day in January, I started having pain again. This time not as severe but constant (the first time 8 years ago, I could not move both my legs for 45 minutes the pain was so intense, and broke me out in a watery sweat)

The disk, from research, never FULLY HEAL, but the fluid can be sucked back in enough, along with core strengthening, to get you back to lifting serious weights.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
A good chiropractor would have had you doing all three of those listed. We do it everyday.
Wouldn't the type of stretches depend solely on the direction of the herniation? bi, uni, etc?

DrMorris

DrMorris

Awards
Not solely. Clinical picture is bigger then that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Injury / Rehab 13