Haulin' Hooks

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Probably going to buy these because I hate traditional straps -- wanted to know if anybody here has ever used them or has any opinions on them? Some info and a short video of them is here.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Why don't you like straps? I've used stuff like the haulin' hooks before and found them to be vastly inferior to good old straps. Check out the iron mind strong enough straps, they're cheap and work better than any other strap I've used. I think elitefts sells them for around $10.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i love my hookers, not haulin hooks per se, but same idea. The thing about hooks as they sometimes help too much. Hooks should only be used for things like rows and shrugs.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use hooks for shrugs as well. However APT has quite superior straps that I find better than hooks.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback guys -- I actually got a pair of these and I'm really liking them. Straps just don't feel right when I use them (yes, I use them correctly, they just make me feel awkward and I don't feel comfortable during the movement :*(). I know some of you guys love them and that's awesome, but I'm just a puss and can't use them. :veryhappy:

But, I used the hooks for a few sets of deads and pulldowns (behind the neck) and loved them; I wanted to do rows as well but I was just too worn out.

One thing that I really enjoyed was I did chins until failure, took about a 10 second break, and then hopped back up and used the hooks to get several extra reps that I would've never been able to hold on for otherwise.

I'll bump this bitch with updates on how these are affecting my strength and development now and then so anybody interested in them can have access to a review-type evaluation.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback guys -- I actually got a pair of these and I'm really liking them. Straps just don't feel right when I use them (yes, I use them correctly, they just make me feel awkward and I don't feel comfortable during the movement :*(). I know some of you guys love them and that's awesome, but I'm just a puss and can't use them. :veryhappy:

But, I used the hooks for a few sets of deads and pulldowns (behind the neck) and loved them; I wanted to do rows as well but I was just too worn out.
One thing that I really enjoyed was I did chins until failure, took about a 10 second break, and then hopped back up and used the hooks to get several extra reps that I would've never been able to hold on for otherwise.

I'll bump this bitch with updates on how these are affecting my strength and development now and then so anybody interested in them can have access to a review-type evaluation.

I would say if you use so much weight doing pulldowns behind the neck that you need straps or hooks, your shoulders might hate you in the future. I think using them for the extra reps for pullups is beneficial, but you should work on your grip strength so you don't hurt other parts. Try doing farmers carries without hooks and see how far you can walk with the heaviest db you can handle. Think around 10-20 seconds for a "set". The fear of dropping a heavy db on your toe is motivation to keep fighting to hold on.

Not knocking you one bit, but I think you will have better overall results because other supporting muscles (hands, forearms) will get stronger, if you limit how you use them. I personally don't use straps except for shrugs, mas effort deads, and pullups since I am developing my pullup strength.

Just my 2 cents.