I need the Pro's A** kickin!

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
alllllright......
To o make a long story short- I was detered from my dedicated routine of cardio everyday of 25-35 min, abs and lifting 2-3x week.

It has become a struggle to get my Azz in gear and back on track, especially for cardio- I need a good swift kick in pants. Or, an example routine will help get me started and psych my motivation up.(please help!) :sad:
I was at 11% bf working toward 9-7%. My plea is, can you guys help give me an example routine to work on? Its weird, if it comes from someone else, I'll take the challenge on, but I make allowances for myself.

Another question is, I was doing fasted cardio- recently I've been eating about 2 hours prior to cardio. What is the optimum time for fat loss before cardio if not fasted cardio?

I really appreciate it!

UKStrength

Hey,

There's no real 'optimum' time for cardio in terms of fat loss when you've already eaten, it's really then a matter of how hard you can perform with food inside you (i.e. without puking).

The bottom line is that you do your cardio and do a mix of steady-state (fasted or non-fasted) and HIIT-style for best results.

Have you ever tried the tabata method?

It's 4 minutes of hell (yeah the whole workout is 4 mins), seriously one THE hardest routines you can do.

Pick one exercise (Front Squats are the best choice IMO), but thrusters or back squats would work.

Load the bar up with a light weight (30kg + bar max).

Perform as many repetitions as you can in 20 seconds, dump the bar.

Rest for exactly 10 seconds (no more, no less).

Repeat the same exercise for another 20 seconds.

Repeat the cycle for a total number of 8 sets.

Collapse in a heap of sweat ;)

Here's an article from Figureathlete.com if you'd like to know more (great site btw).

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_article//the_tabata_method_1

For your other 'non-weight training' days, give this cardio routine that doc holiday posted a shot, it's pretty effective:

Have you read about Lyle McDonalds method of cardio? I have been using this with great success. I have always been a fan of fasted steady state cardio, but I feel this takes it to the next level. Here is his recommendations, best of both worlds IMO:

# Take 200mg caffeine 1-2 hours before cardio

# Do 10 minutes of intense cardio (can be HIIT, but doesn't have to be)

# Rest 5 Minutes

# Do 30-45 minutes of Steady State Cardio at moderate to moderately high intensity

# Wait an hour before having a small protein meal

# 2-3 hours later go back to normal eating

Why This Works (in Lyle's words): "To get stubborn fat mobilized, you have to overcome a fairly severe resistance in terms of both blood flow and lipolysis, this requires very high concentrations of catecholamines (adrenaline/noradrenaline). Sadly, jacking up levels of catecholamines (necessary for mobilization) limits burning in the muscle which is why you follow the high intensity with low intensity. Basically, you jack up levels to get the fat mobilized, and then let them fall so that the fatty acid can be burned in the muscle."
...and finally my own personal favourite (as I'm a boxer)...jump rope! :)

Here's my jump-rope routine:

100 turns of the rope
10 explosive press-ups
10 squat jumps
10 pullups
20 crunches

Repeat 10 times. Enjoy the pain ;)

Hope this gives you some inspiration!

Rick.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Nice post by Rick --> tabata is just so taxing for me I just end up bitching out because of how much it sucks and I always feel sick afterwards.. ha I love training but sweet jesus..

I like to do steady-state cardio no less than 90 minutes after I eat, but I suppose you could do it whenever you feel like it. I feel fasted cardio (roughly 3 hours after eating works) with some BCAA's before and after is effective -- I usually wait an hour afterward to have a meal as well.

If you need a change of pace, tabata (as much as it kills me) is certainly effective for fat loss like Rick mentioned, but I usually do sprint intervals instead -- you might want to look into that if you like running to get your heart rate up as opposed to lifting.

Variety is important -- as an example, I currently do strength training on M and T, HIIT on W, and steady-state running for 25-30 min on Th, F and Sa, and Su is a carb-up for me so I just relax. But whatever you choose good luck to you! I'm sure more people will have suggestions as well.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Another question is, I was doing fasted cardio- recently I've been eating about 2 hours prior to cardio. What is the optimum time for fat loss before cardio if not fasted cardio?
Depends on glycogen stores based on previous meal. So, you are primarily interested in postprandial gastric emptying to ensure that you are oxidizing FAT rather than CHO. This can take between two and four hours to occur.

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
Awesome, thank you guys!
It sounds amazing and effective...its kinda scary, but I need to embrace the Tabata method, and just do it. Could you do it with abs? What would you use for the routine?
I like the Doc Holiday's Cardio method for mixing it up. I tend to only feel like I've gotten a workout if I run, and I dont want to get burnt out on it,which lately, I have. I need an effective change up.

My energy has been so off. I'm hoping that if I wait @ 4 hours after eating that I am still burning some fat. Somedays its hard to get to the gym on completely fasted morning cardio( 8 hours?).

Is this weird? Yesterday, I took a Hyperdrive mid afternoon, and it kicked my energy into another planet. When I was running, it was so hard.. my body was not fatigued, but my brain and breathing were so exausted, and I was so freakin hot. I hated that feeling of weakness combuned with unexerted energy- I decided that supplement is probably not for me. But it made me really concerned about my fat %, hoping I'm not losing cardio strength. Was it the supplement?

I'm going to try the tabata method today.....

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
alllllright......
To o make a long story short- I was detered from my dedicated routine of cardio everyday of 25-35 min, abs and lifting 2-3x week.

It has become a struggle to get my Azz in gear and back on track, especially for cardio- I need a good swift kick in pants. Or, an example routine will help get me started and psych my motivation up.(please help!) :sad:
I was at 11% bf working toward 9-7%. My plea is, can you guys help give me an example routine to work on? Its weird, if it comes from someone else, I'll take the challenge on, but I make allowances for myself.
keep at it. look into total body routines that are 3x per week and last just over half an hour. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/109366-ectomorph-workout.html . stick with the 3-4 sets of 10, and adjust your diet - growth hormone is the hormone you want to target.

I really appreciate it!
optimum time for cardio is fasted. the most important aspect of manipulating GH as well as doing cardio is to limit your fast digesting carbs - anything that kicks you out of GH maximization or replaces the calories burned during cardio, you're spinning your wheels.

limit carbs 2 hours before bed, do weights and cardio with either no carbs or slow digesting ones post workout, and you'll hit your goals.

UKStrength

Awesome, thank you guys!

No worries we're here to help each other out ;)
It sounds amazing and effective...its kinda scary, but I need to embrace the Tabata method, and just do it. Could you do it with abs? What would you use for the routine?

The tabata routine can't really be used effectively for abs as it relies on the movement being compound, so really front squats are the best exercise to get maximum results.
In term of abdominal training, I'd change up your routine for abs that you're currently doing with your other lifting if you feel they need additional work.

My energy has been so off. I'm hoping that if I wait @ 4 hours after eating that I am still burning some fat.
Sounds like your blood glucose is low and/or you're glycogen depleted from training/low carbohydrates.

How long had you been dieting to lose the fat? What does your diet look like at the moment? (total calories and protein, carbs and fat)

Are you getting enough quality sleep? (do you feel 'refreshed' upon waking?)

You might need to change the frequency of your meals to keep your blood sugars stable and prevent 'energy crashes'.

It sounds like you're doing a lot of steady state cardio (running) and waiting a long time to eat between meals, the addition of some of the other cardio routines we've suggested and smaller, more frequent meals should help you burn more calories 24/7 and reduce the lethargy.

Is this weird? Yesterday, I took a Hyperdrive mid afternoon, and it kicked my energy into another planet. When I was running, it was so hard.. my body was not fatigued, but my brain and breathing were so exausted, and I was so freakin hot. I hated that feeling of weakness combuned with unexerted energy- I decided that supplement is probably not for me. But it made me really concerned about my fat %, hoping I'm not losing cardio strength. Was it the supplement?
Could be, was it the first time you've taken it? or any sort of stimulant supplement?

If you're sensitive to stimulants (caffeine, ephedrine, guarana, taurine etc.) side effects can include an elevation in body temperature, breathlessness and chronic fatigue with high dosages.

You could also be moving into over-training territory, see my point above about the diet/rest/training ^^^

I'm going to try the tabata method today.....
Enjoy, you'll be cursing my name later :)

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
I've been trying to maintain my bf% at about 10% or under for about a year. But over the past 2 weeks, I've just been trying to get back there.
Sleep is pretty good. I've been taking Lean Dreams, which really helped. I wanted to make sure and do fasted cardio, so I am sure that I depleted some glycogen storage.
My diet stays in the range of about 1200-1500 cal
50-85g pro
65-100g carbs
10-20g fat

I'm pretty used to stimulants. I've taken alot of ECA'a and other stimulant supplements. I'm on Wellbutrin and a samll does of adderall, so I think it was the Yohimbe that I am going to stay away from. I wanted to good thermogenic to help give things a boost, but that sounds exactly what happened with the temperature, breathlessness and fatigue.i I'm going to get some Napalm since I had some good results with that in the past.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I've been trying to maintain my bf% at about 10% or under for about a year. But over the past 2 weeks, I've just been trying to get back there.
Sleep is pretty good. I've been taking Lean Dreams, which really helped. I wanted to make sure and do fasted cardio, so I am sure that I depleted some glycogen storage.
50-85g pro
65-100g carbs
10-20g fat
Just checking, but with the upper-end values of those macros you do know they only total about 340 + 400 + 180 = 920 calories? (the low end is 550!) You probably just underestimated the macros, but I just wanted to make sure you were getting the calories you thought you were.

UKStrength

I'm going to get some Napalm since I had some good results with that in the past.
I would do that, I think adding anymore stimulants is just going to end in tears to be honest.

If you want to make your napalm more effective some of the guys are adding clenbuterol to their transdermal. Might be worth dropping the other stimulants and checking this out?

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/avant-research-labs/83054-enhancing-your-napalm.html

Just checking, but with the upper-end values of those macros you do know they only total about 340 + 400 + 180 = 920 calories? (the low end is 550!) You probably just underestimated the macros, but I just wanted to make sure you were getting the calories you thought you were.
Mate you're too quick for me! I thought the same thing when glanced over it ;)

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
I probably underestimated my calories. I will look more closely.
I just posted under the that thread @ clen tabs to the Napalm-
Just to make sure, when applied transdermally, it absorbs into the skin, and does not have the side effects like orally, correct ?

UKStrength

I probably underestimated my calories. I will look more closely.
I just posted under the that thread @ clen tabs to the Napalm-
Just to make sure, when applied transdermally, it absorbs into the skin, and does not have the side effects like orally, correct ?
None reported from those who've used it. I haven't myself but it's my next fat loss stack to try :)

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
ok, so far I've been doing cardio in a fasted state (4+ hrs no food prior).
I dont know what it is lately, but I am waking up so flippin hungry I cant take it.I used to be able to wake up and 2hrs later workout,(all without eating) with no problem.

I can feel that I'm holding onto body fat in the areas that women tend to- inner thighs, butt and upper hamstrings. This must be a hormonal thing that came on suddenly- maybe its also contributng to the appetite to act in a differently?
I'm sure the Napalm will help some-but is there a way to stop this hormonal onset?
I do not like it! :)

UKStrength

I dont know what it is lately, but I am waking up so flippin hungry I cant take it.I used to be able to wake up and 2hrs later workout,(all without eating) with no problem.

I can feel that I'm holding onto body fat in the areas that women tend to- inner thighs, butt and upper hamstrings. This must be a hormonal thing that came on suddenly- maybe its also contributng to the appetite to act in a differently?
I'm sure the Napalm will help some-but is there a way to stop this hormonal onset?
Best person to ask is Rosie (Guejsn), she's very knowledgeable and may have experienced a similar issue.

Perhaps a quick private message to her?

Sorry I can't be more help, all I can think is that your blood glucose has dropped too low from the fast and caused your appetite to increase. I'm not an expert on endocrinology! :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, so starting from the top; so if anything has already been answered (as some has), then excuse that.

From what I've read you have little knowledge of how the body works, correct nutrition, or training; I suggest that you start doing some research of your own and LEARN about it!!!

I've said this time and time again; you DON'T need cardio to lose fat!

As for an example training programme, why don't you look around at some; check out my log (http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/112832-female-terminator-chronicles.html) or something for ideas. As long as your DIET is right and you're doing resistance training, then you'll lose the fat, PERIOD!

There is NO "optimum" time; doing cardio fasted or at least 2 hours after a meal is fine. Whether you eat beforehand or not is not going to make a difference; it's the INTENSITY of your cardio that will make the difference.

I like the Doc Holiday's Cardio method for mixing it up. I tend to only feel like I've gotten a workout if I run, and I dont want to get burnt out on it,which lately, I have. I need an effective change up.
The tabata method is very effective, and you can adapt it (if you look in my log, you'll see that I use this method (either running or cycling), and add efforts, increase effort duration, etc. to change it up every now and then). Although you only need to do 3 x 12 minute (4 min 'warm-up', 8 x 20 sec efforts/10 sec easy, 4 min 'cool-down') sessions a week to really notice a difference (and if you're just starting it, then 12 minutes is PLENTY!)

You can do it with abs (although, be aware that abs only need to be done TWICE A week).

Stop feeling like you haven't "gotten a workout" if you DON'T run.

My energy has been so off. I'm hoping that if I wait @ 4 hours after eating that I am still burning some fat. Somedays its hard to get to the gym on completely fasted morning cardio( 8 hours?).
Forget about this as well. You really need to do some research on the physiology behind fat loss and how the metabolism works. You can train WHEN you like and burn fat, if diet (and training) are targeted at it.

As a female this is NOT healthy, and can cause many problems if low BF% are maintained over long periods of time. It is fairly easy to do, once you know how; but there IS a reason why even competitors have an "off-season" BF% of 12-15% BF.

50-85g pro
65-100g carbs
10-20g fat
1200-1500 calories is TOO low, regardless of how low you're trying to get or maintain your BF%. Trust me, I eat well in excess of 4000 calories a day and STILL stay at <12% BF all the time!!!

And even at your maximum given energy intake, it's ONLY 920 calories. If you've been following this for long, then your body is most likely in starvation mode, and losing fat is not going to be happening for you; instead you will be most likely losing MUSCLE.

All your macros are far too low for ANYTHING: You should be having at least 120g of protein, ~100g carbohydrates, and at least 50g of fat; even doing all that only puts you at 1330 calories, and you definitely need to have MORE than that!!!!).

Your NUTRITION is the MOST IMPORTANT part of achieving ANY body goal, and if you're NOT doing it right, then you will NOT get the results that you want.

I'm pretty used to stimulants. I've taken alot of ECA'a and other stimulant supplements. I'm on Wellbutrin and a samll does of adderall, so I think it was the Yohimbe that I am going to stay away from. I wanted to good thermogenic to help give things a boost, but that sounds exactly what happened with the temperature, breathlessness and fatigue.i I'm going to get some Napalm since I had some good results with that in the past.
Don't look to supplements for fat loss. Get your DIET sorted ASAP, as that's the KEY to fat loss.

I suggest that you read post #4 in http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/122489-new-forum-need.html; I cover everything from diet to resistance training to cardio in this post, and you would do well to HEED it.

It's fine to do cardio in a fasted state. However, if you're going to do it fasted, then do it first thing in the morning (don't wait 2 hours to do it). Don't wait 4 hours after eating later in the day and then do it, because them you're going too LONG withOUT food; NOT good for the metabolism.

And the reason you're probably so hungry is because you're not eating enough! Your blood glucose will be low, yes, especially since you're not eating enough to keep it at a reasonable level.

Females generally (but not all) carry more BF in their lower body because of their physiology. However, this is nto to say that it cannot be lost/reduced. If you are as low a BF% that you say you are, then if you're holding BF here, then chances are it's the LAST place you will lose it. It's not necessarily a hormonal thing at all, and where you primarily store your fat has NOTHING to do with your appetite.

Napalm may not help at all, since it causes water retention, which might make you feel uncomfortable (if you are already).