rep scheme

quakebks

Awards
hey guys,
so i know the typical amount of reps suggested range from 8-14 generally. but lately i wanted to throw in something really different. So i do a 20 rep then heavier 8-10 reps, i repeat this 2-3 times for a set. yes, i know this may seem a lil much but has anyone done anything like this before? if so how was your progress? thanks

Sh0wty

Awards
I am on a cut. I keep My Reps no less than 10 + . I usually never go as high as 15 on some workouts though. I do 3-4 sets typically.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Mix your reps up if you want.

With a scheme like 5 x 5, if someone tells you you won't gain hypertrophy they're lying. I've gained all my mass using 4-6 reps. The problem with 3 x 5 is; however, that your hypertrophy gains will plateau before your strength gains. Same philosophy with 3 x 10, except the concept is reversed, your strength will plateau before your hypertrophy gains, and at this point it's extremely difficult to get bigger without adding weight to the bar.

Bodybuilders swear by 8-15 reps, but do you think 3 sets of 10 made them big or 3 sets of 10 with the 225 pounds they're working out with? I'd say both. But there's nothing magical about 10 reps, I can do 10 reps with the bar with perfect form and nothing happens, I needweight on the bar to grow and I think most bodybuilders try not to give appropriate credit to their strength.

Gaining hypertrophy is more in the diet than reps.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I don't stick to JUST one rep range when I work out. On compound lifts I'll usually start off with a relatively higher rep range, like 8-10 for the first set or two, then increasing the weight and doing something like 6-8, then further increasing the weight until maybe I'm only repping 4-5 times on my last set. On isolation work, I usually keep it to 8-10, sometimes going heavy but usually no less than 6 reps ever. Switch it up, play it by feel once you've got some experience and find out what you respond to.

Also, when you're on a cut, your muscles are more inclined to shrink, so it's really good practice to throw in some heavy training to keep them working. A lot of people have the idea that high rep training is best for toning. Tone and definition come from having muscle and low body fat, not from high rep training specifically. Make sure your protein intake is high (at least 1.25 x bodyweight).

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I don't stick to JUST one rep range when I work out. On compound lifts I'll usually start off with a relatively higher rep range, like 8-10 for the first set or two, then increasing the weight and doing something like 6-8, then further increasing the weight until maybe I'm only repping 4-5 times on my last set. On isolation work, I usually keep it to 8-10, sometimes going heavy but usually no less than 6 reps ever. Switch it up, play it by feel once you've got some experience and find out what you respond to.
Yeah, that's called pyramiding.

Also, when you're on a cut, your muscles are more inclined to shrink, so it's really good practice to throw in some heavy training to keep them working. A lot of people have the idea that high rep training is best for toning. Tone and definition come from having muscle and low body fat, not from high rep training specifically. Make sure your protein intake is high (at least 1.25 x bodyweight).
x2

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
145 x 40
155 x 30
165 x 20
175 x 10
185 x 8-10
If those lifts are legit that's highly impressive. I'd love to see a video of 145 pounds for 40 reps, though.

You realize that scheme is geared more towards a high endurance workout, right? There's really not enough dynamic effort in for more than a significant pump.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I got the idea from watchin guys come out of prison with huge upper bodies from doing pushups all day. Same kind of idea, and yes lots of indurance - that's a good thing tho, I find the strength gained is more of a functional strength. I didn't think I was gonna blow anyone away repping 145's but if you say so. I saw a video of a guy repping 250ish for 50! Now thats impressive. I also do incline d/b press in a 4 set heavy pyramid up scheme and some other stuff. I try to finish with 7's on flys for a good pump. I try to get a little of everything I guess.. The pump, indurance, and strength via heavier db press.
50 reps with 225 is insane, it's about equivalent to a 500 pound 1RM.

Ronnie Coleman (Mr. Universe) only did 49 reps with 225.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
high rep. sets are brutal if done right. i throw in 100 rep. drop sets every so often to shock my legs and it is brutal. i'll be sore for 3-4 days.. i'm talking gasping for air, controlled reps, the pump is like nothing else, and will help push you through plateaus. throw some high rep. workouts in every once in awhile to take the intensity up a notch. can be done on cutting, bulking cycles and everywhere in between...

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
high rep. sets are brutal if done right. i throw in 100 rep. drop sets every so often to shock my legs and it is brutal. i'll be sore for 3-4 days.. i'm talking gasping for air, controlled reps, the pump is like nothing else, and will help push you through plateaus. throw some high rep. workouts in every once in awhile to take the intensity up a notch. can be done on cutting, bulking cycles and everywhere in between...
i see matt kroczaleski do these as well. 225 lb dumbell rows for 30 reps, insane.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
Mix your reps up if you want.

With a scheme like 5 x 5, if someone tells you you won't gain hypertrophy they're lying. I've gained all my mass using 4-6 reps. The problem with 3 x 5 is; however, that your hypertrophy gains will plateau before your strength gains. Same philosophy with 3 x 10, except the concept is reversed, your strength will plateau before your hypertrophy gains, and at this point it's extremely difficult to get bigger without adding weight to the bar.

Bodybuilders swear by 8-15 reps, but do you think 3 sets of 10 made them big or 3 sets of 10 with the 225 pounds they're working out with? I'd say both. But there's nothing magical about 10 reps, I can do 10 reps with the bar with perfect form and nothing happens, I needweight on the bar to grow and I think most bodybuilders try not to give appropriate credit to their strength.

Gaining hypertrophy is more in the diet than reps.
agreed. another thing i see a lot of people do is cramm way too many exercises in a routine. all you have to do is pick 4 or 5 exercises a day and keep em at high intensity or high volume and you will grow.