question if you know your max can you determine what weight u can do 5 or 10reps of?

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Ok i did not know what to title this but i was just thinking and figured this would be a great place to ask

clearly everyone has different sizes and strengths but i always find it interesting how people the exact same size as myself or any 2 guys paired up might be so much better at things then others one stronger on squats and another on deads etc blah blah

So my question is. in theory is there a way to find out or figureout what your Max 1rep is based on what you can do for say 10 5 or 3 reps max?

to keep things simple lets say

benching a guy can do
95x10
135x5
185x3

so based on this can we determine what his 1 rep max would be? is there a scientfic way to figure this out...? i hope my question makes sense..

now to reword this and throw in my exact situation

My Benching

at my best i was doing like 225x13 might be my best, the heaviest i ever went was 275x2 and that was a complete struggle does this make sense to most of you? adding 50lbs removes 11 reps?

my last barbell bench press day from not benching in like a year on a bar i did 225x5 easy, and ive been doing dumbells at 90x8 easy and 100x5 first time doing 100s in long long time easy too

just wondering in theory what my potential max is based on numbers?

im not making a big deal of this to myself, i have just always pondered this question.. ya know

lastly my squat numbers are lets see

375x1 Max
225x20 max

did 285x5x5x5 working sets last workout

these numbers look normal? im very happy with my squatting lately, i go very low and make sure i do i wish i could tape my workouts maybe i will next squat day or something so i can get helped on form and stuff

ill shusshupp

any feedback on this topic would rock

if there was a formula and someone knew their 1 rep max on bench say 315x1 then i would imagine they should be able to get 265x10? maybe and 225x20 or more perhaps?

just thinking wondering if any of you think about this too thanks

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
There are various calculators that use an algorithm, or what not, that you can punch your weight lifted and reps in, and it will spit out a 1RM.

As you probly know, alot of things do into a 1RM lift.....force generation, tricep strength, good technique.... so i think that it's upon the individual to either go for it, or conservatively estimate their 1RM. The calculators are a good tool, but i dont think entirely accurate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/1rm.htm

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I have always just equated each rep to an additional 10lbs, this has always been pretty close for the big three lifts for me. So for benching if you can do 225 for 6 then:
235 for 5
245 for 4
255 for 3
265 for 2
275 for 1

This is a real rough estimation though and it really depends on the individual, for me personally I can generate a lot of extra force for a max than I can for a set of 3-5. I think I can hit 405 3 but I can press 455 for a max.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
This is a real rough estimation though and it really depends on the individual, for me personally I can generate a lot of extra force for a max than I can for a set of 3-5. I think I can hit 405 3 but I can press 455 for a max.
i agree......same applies for me

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
There are various calculators that use an algorithm, or what not, that you can punch your weight lifted and reps in, and it will spit out a 1RM.

As you probly know, alot of things do into a 1RM lift.....force generation, tricep strength, good technique.... so i think that it's upon the individual to either go for it, or conservatively estimate their 1RM. The calculators are a good tool, but i dont think entirely accurate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/1rm.htm
interesting seems pretty dead on for benching and deadlifts for my numbers anyway

I have always just equated each rep to an additional 10lbs, this has always been pretty close for the big three lifts for me. So for benching if you can do 225 for 6 then:
235 for 5
245 for 4
255 for 3
265 for 2
275 for 1

not sure if i agree with the 10lb increase method but that bb.com thing is pretty spot on for my numbers

thanks for sharing both your opinions, of course there is no perfect science some people are better at reps others are maxes

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I mean the only real way to know is get under the bar but even then there is going to be some discrepancy. A lot of it is going to depend on how well your nervous system is conditioned as well. Some people have the muscular potential to max a lot higher than they do, but they never put themselves under enough tension to stimulate their nervous system to be ready to generate that kind of force.

americanmusul

americanmusul

Awards
i've found thats its a J-curve your 10 rep max might equate your 1 one max ie 315 for 10 = 415 for one but your two rep max will not necessarly equate to your one rep max. that is if your adding 10lb for each rep. when you are maxing out it should be exhuasting and when your dealing with high weight a 10lb difference probably wont give you a whole other rep.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
ahhh cool, this thread will get more interesting i know it !

thx fro sharing ya'all

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
You also have to consider fiber typing...

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
The charts are a good starting point. Most inexperienced lifters will be able to do less for a max than their numbers at lower weights suggest. This is partly because of them being headcases around heavy weights, partly inexperience under a heavy bar, and partly an inability to recruit appropriate muscle fibers. Most powerlifters will do more for a max than the charts suggest. Still, for a rough rule of theumb it's not a bad way to be able to compare say 220 * 6 with 245 * 3.

If you pay attention to your own abilities you should be able to make your own chart that's a lot more accurate, of course this will change along with your progress....