Training

csakiges

Awards
Ok, I am going to start a new training regimen on Monday. I will post results. I am currently 6'2" 240 and about 12-14% was as low as 9-11 but I have been bulking the past 5 months. My calorie intake is around 4500 on average and protein is about 360 grams. I am up from 195. I jumped from ketogenic to a traditional 40/40/20 breakdown. So I jumped from 195-205 within a week, but the rest has been mass (fat, muscle). Just wanted to give some background information. This is definitely influenced by other very knowledgable bros on this board and many threads I have read. Here will be my program. I will be taking sets to failure. As I progress I may add in rest /pause, forced reps., tempo change, etc.. Like others, push/pull/legs:

Push - Monday
Incline DBs press - 2 sets of 5-8 - I tend to respond well to heavy chest so I will start with that.
Dips - 2 sets of 12-15 with weight, not sure how much yet, that will be trial and error. I would like to do a heavy set of tris too, but that can be my press movements and then finish them up with some dips.
Seated DB press - 2 sets of 10-12. I like to go heavy but I have seen that many respond well to higher reps on shoulders, so I will try for awhile, if no progress than I will switch. I haven't had any progress for about a month on my shoulders so I was going to switch up anyways. I may only do one set depending on how fatigued my shoulders are after incline presses.

Pull - Wednesday
Deadlifts 2 sets of 5-8 /Bent over BB rows 2 sets of 10-12 - I am going to alternate each week squats and deadlifts, on the weeks I don't deadlift I will do BO rows.
Biceps - BB curls - 2 sets of 12-15. My biceps seem to respond better to higher volume

Legs - Friday
Squats 2 sets of 20 / Leg Extensions 2 sets of 12-15 - Again, I will rotate with deadlifts.
SLDL - 2 sets of 20

I will do abs and calves twice a week 2 sets of each per workout for reps of 12-15.

I am traditionally a guy who gets very fatigued. I can do alot of weight for a few reps. but get very tired after one set of higher volume pushed to the max. Each of the reps for exercises are either reps set because of what has worked for a majority and trying to test the waters for myself or because I know what weight I respond to well. It just seems painfully obvious to me that this workout makes sense. I always considered myself knowledgeabe about diet and training and I think that I am. And I have always been conscious of overtraining and tried to keep my workouts short before I got too catabolic (glycogen, cortisol, etc.). But one thing I always did was too much volume and to much overlap. I would do shoulders, triceps and chest on different days and wonder why my gains were so slow. I could never stand to do chest and shoulders on the same day cause my shoulders were so weak after doing chest. Well hello genius, maybe that is because you worked your shoulders. Why not just do a set of military or something and finish them off after chest and be done for the week and allow them to recover. I just think I am seeing the light as to training and I am very excited. Thanks to all who inspired my change in views, you know who you are.

Let me know what anyone thinks. Thanks a bunch.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey brother, hows about them Steelers? LOL, don;'t respond, heh. That routine looks a lot like the one I do currently. And I'll tell you what, IMHO when you simplify things to the max and only change the little things when needed, it makes things a hell of a lot easier. Trust me, you'll see results in no time man.... I'm the same way as you too in regards to I can do heavier weight with lower reps than compared to lighter weight with higher reps.

Keep on bulking bro, I'll be here with you. Althouygh I'm gonna have to cut up a bit early this year, as I'm takin' spring break in West palm beach in March. Good luck to ya.

csakiges

Awards
Hey brother, hows about them Steelers? LOL, don;'t respond, heh. That routine looks a lot like the one I do currently. And I'll tell you what, IMHO when you simplify things to the max and only change the little things when needed, it makes things a hell of a lot easier. Trust me, you'll see results in no time man.... I'm the same way as you too in regards to I can do heavier weight with lower reps than compared to lighter weight with higher reps.

Keep on bulking bro, I'll be here with you. Althouygh I'm gonna have to cut up a bit early this year, as I'm takin' spring break in West palm beach in March. Good luck to ya.

Hey Jergo, I hope all is well with you.

Yes the Steelers looked great this year didn't they? LOL!!!!!!! That is a different topic for a different thread. :D

Anyhow, I read the thread about your program and some of the others with IA and it just makes sense. So I guess you could partially say I am Jergo inspired. :eek: LOL!!!!!!

I will be bulking right with you. I would like to get up to about 255-260. I will probaly bulk for another three months and then start cutting. Next time I cut I want to be like 225. That avatar of me is around 205 I think, and I actually got down to 195. Keep on eating and lifting like and animal and keep me up to date with your stats. and progress. A couple of my buddies are Steeler season ticket holders and I know some people with the steelers so I am going to get season tickets when I can afford them. Next season when the Steelers win the Super Bowl, if I am down that way I will definitely look you up, maybe we'll go to the Matrix (if my girlfriend will let me out). My buddies say it is a good time. And damn I am jealous you are going to West Palm beach for Spring break. I always had to work during spring break in college and now I don't have the time. Take care and good luck!! Thanks for the encouragement and get shredded for the ladies when the time calls!!!

MrTrap

Awards
Jerry, if you changed to pull-push-legs, you could do the squats every week. I don't think the extensions will do much for you. Also, DLs one day and SLDLs another may be too much. I'd say pick one and drop the other.

Traps

MrTrap

Awards
I could never stand to do chest and shoulders on the same day cause my shoulders were so weak after doing chest. Well hello genius, maybe that is because you worked your shoulders.
Boy am I with you on that one!

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey Jergo, I hope all is well with you.

Yes the Steelers looked great this year didn't they? LOL!!!!!!! That is a different topic for a different thread. :D

Anyhow, I read the thread about your program and some of the others with IA and it just makes sense. So I guess you could partially say I am Jergo inspired. :eek: LOL!!!!!!

I will be bulking right with you. I would like to get up to about 255-260. I will probaly bulk for another three months and then start cutting. Next time I cut I want to be like 225. That avatar of me is around 205 I think, and I actually got down to 195. Keep on eating and lifting like and animal and keep me up to date with your stats. and progress. A couple of my buddies are Steeler season ticket holders and I know some people with the steelers so I am going to get season tickets when I can afford them. Next season when the Steelers win the Super Bowl, if I am down that way I will definitely look you up, maybe we'll go to the Matrix (if my girlfriend will let me out). My buddies say it is a good time. And damn I am jealous you are going to West Palm beach for Spring break. I always had to work during spring break in college and now I don't have the time. Take care and good luck!! Thanks for the encouragement and get shredded for the ladies when the time calls!!!
Yeah, if I could only get some season tickets down here, I'm game. A couple of bros that I know are cops in my hometown and they say the got the hook-up, LOL. Matrix is pretty cool, I just always hate getting sloshed up in the burgh and then having to drive home for a 25 minute or so drive you know? Alls well that ends well I guess, heh. If you come down bro, we'll kick it at a couple of hometown clubs down here, it's a lot of fun. Spring break is gonna be the $hit brother, best thing is, that I won't have to pay any hotel costs cuz the people that I'm going with have relatives that are the same age as us and we'll be staying with 'em. Saves a buck or two. Take care and keep in touch with your goals and me. :)

Stroyer

Awards
I to am exactly the same way, I have always noticed that in myslef but have never really heard anyone else state the same issue.

I am traditionally a guy who gets very fatigued. I can do alot of weight for a few reps. but get very tired after one set of higher volume pushed to the max.
I have always noticed once I increase my weight beyond a certain amount and decrease # of reps performed I become significantly stronger at the sacrafice of reps, but much stronger than what I should be in comparison If I were to use a lighter weight and try to perfom more reps on the same exercise (i hope that made the least bit of sense, its really kind of hard to describe).

Stroyer

csakiges

Awards
Yeah, if I could only get some season tickets down here, I'm game. A couple of bros that I know are cops in my hometown and they say the got the hook-up, LOL. Matrix is pretty cool, I just always hate getting sloshed up in the burgh and then having to drive home for a 25 minute or so drive you know? Alls well that ends well I guess, heh. If you come down bro, we'll kick it at a couple of hometown clubs down here, it's a lot of fun. Spring break is gonna be the $hit brother, best thing is, that I won't have to pay any hotel costs cuz the people that I'm going with have relatives that are the same age as us and we'll be staying with 'em. Saves a buck or two. Take care and keep in touch with your goals and me. :)
Yeah, I will definitely look you up if I am planning a trip down that way. And I know what you mean about those long drives, they suck after a night of drinking. I have gotten alot more responsible in regards to that since my college days. Take care and make sure you keep in touch too.

Onslaught

Awards
  • Established
Why dips before the seated DB press? It seems to me that you're going to fatigue your triceps too much before having to do a pressing movement. Dips also work your shoulders to an extent; you'd probably "feel it" more placing dips after the seated DB press. Anyway, I'm currently doing a push/pull split, and while very different from yours, I really like it. Good luck with the program.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Why dips before the seated DB press? It seems to me that you're going to fatigue your triceps too much before having to do a pressing movement. Dips also work your shoulders to an extent; you'd probably "feel it" more placing dips after the seated DB press. Anyway, I'm currently doing a push/pull split, and while very different from yours, I really like it. Good luck with the program.

I also do dips first. I feel that it works my shoulders, chest, and tri's equally but i do it as a chest exercize. My chest gets really pumped up after a couple sets of weighted dips. I usually follow it up with another chest movement (like flyes) before going to tri/shoulder work.