lifting, cardio time question

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.92%

lifting, cardio time question

So I have two options. Go to the gym and do my workout at night, after work, or do it super early in the morning. Either way I don't have time to go twice. I want to do some cardio, should I do it after lifting and sip bcaas? Should I do it before or after my post workout shake? What's the best way to time this

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.99%

Try it both ways and see what you like better. Not many people can get up on a strict schedule and go to the gym in the morning.

There is a lot of literature out there about timing cardio and lifting, etc. My opinion is to do what you feel like. If you do the cardio first your lifting will suffer some, but it all depends on what's more important to you. On heavy days I will nearly always do cardio after lifting. On days that are light or a deload week I will sometimes do the cardio first just to get it out of the way.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.37%

Out of your given choices, I would go earlier in the morning. Cardio before lifting will fatigue you and your weight training won't be as effective. My advice would be to do your lifting, then drink some form of glycogen replacement (gatorade powder, dextrose, waxy maize, ect..) and some BCAAs before you do your cardio. You can intermittently take in BCAAs while you do cardio. After you're completely done, have a whey protein shake and maybe some more glycogen replacement. Maybe take what you would normally take in for glycogen replacement and split it up; half after weights, the other half after cardio. Might have to tinker around with it until you find what works best for you. I would suggest finding the best possible way to have effective workouts, getting in your cardio, while trying to prevent any form of muscle breakdown.

If your goals are to bulk up, I would keep the cardio to a minimum. If you're trying to cut or maintain weight, it makes things a little easier, I think.

Good luck bro!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16%

I do cardio after i train. Why, because i have a job and i travel 30 minutes to lift in a gym that is outfitted for a powerlifter. Sometimes you just have to do what you can. I here people tell me that you should not do cardio and weights in the same session. I guess i am wrong then.

Similar Forum Threads

1. cardio and weight lifting
    By nes4ever69 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 01:29 AM
  2. Cardio Before and After Lifting
    By Cubate in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 12:55 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM
  4. Cardio, lifting, and rest