Abs.....

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
yeah yeah yeah yeah i know... another abs topic... well im not gonna ask you guys how i can get chiseled abs or the six pack of my dreams... no im much more simple than that... I want SOLID abs

i dont care if i have a six pack or a 8 pack or chiseled lines... I just want a solid looking stomach... one that pops out a bit... so my questions isnt how to define my stomach but more as to how to work it as a whole

i figure now that im squatting more and starting to deadlift I will notice an increase in the thickness of my stomach but im curious if there are any exercises i should be adding

thanks brothas!

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Ab isolation seems to be the best for me. I set the situp bench to the highest possible point, in one gym I train in I put it on the top of a power rack so I am doing almost vertical situps and I use the ab crunch machine.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Standing movements that require a lot of stabilization will work your abs like crazy. And yes, HEAVY Deadlifts and Squats will increase your ab size greatly if you are doing them with correct form.

J

Jax11

Awards
heavy compound lifts will help but defininately utilize athletic functional abdominal training...this will strengthen ur entire core and help u get solid, also dont neglect the low back

E

Erich Schmidt

Awards
Try doing some stabilization training to strengthen your core, also focus on heavy lifting as mentioned earlier. I'm a power lifter and have massive abs but also a thick torso so my abs stick out through my shirt haha. Hanging Leg raises seem to be the best exercise for my style of lifting.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
Weighted twists! get on the decline sit up bench. hold a 10 lb weight with arms extended in front of you, twist your torso until your arms are parallel to the floor, then twist to the other side until your arms are parallel to the floor on that side. do 20 reps each side!

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! im gonna have to work on these!

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I was randomly on CNN.com a few months ago and saw this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/12/journey.dinant.irpt/index.html

Ignore the shirtless skinny dude, the stuff in the article made sense. I found the video useful (the one that says "Watch Dothard's fitness demonstrations" near the end, direct link here: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/12/journey.dinant.irpt/index.html#cnnSTCVideo ).

First part of the video is the guy talking about his problem, followed by a trainer showing some exercises.

I'm always for working in some new stuff, so hopefully this will help someone out.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
if you are more concerned with solid abs, and less with them being chiseled, just stick to high weight, low rep type ab excersices, as you would with any otehr muscle group. I personally like rope pulldown curls (or whatever you call them), where you use a tricip rope while on your knees, and do a crunching motion. You can add a lot of weight on here, and do some good strength training.

Combine that with some of the other ab routines on here to hit specific areas (lower and obliques) and you should be in good shape.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Upper abs one day:

Standing cable crunches (and/or sitting)
Decline bench crunchesStraight leg crunches (basically a crunch with your legs straight in the air spread apart a bit)
Overhead crunch (holding weight overhead)

Lower abs the next:

Hip thrusts
Lying reverse cable crunch
Hanging knee/straight leg raises
Reverse crunches

Then Obliques the next day:

Standing oblique cable crunches
Lying oblique crunches
Crossover crunches

I do this three days in a row then repeat. Usually at least three sets of each exercise. Works amazingly well for my abs. People can punch me as hard as they want in the stomach and it hurts them more than it does me lol.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Standing movements that require a lot of stabilization will work your abs like crazy. And yes, HEAVY Deadlifts and Squats will increase your ab size greatly if you are doing them with correct form.
yup. Also "breathing squats".

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
TRUTH....