Tricep activity on wide-grip bench

cbcowan13

cbcowan13

Awards
A trainer in my gym was telling a client that a wider grip on bench press will take some of the load off of the triceps. I was wondering if anyone could supply some information on just how/why (or indeed, does) a wider grip on bench press take some of the load off of the triceps. I understand the mechanics of how and why it would force more chest activation, but if one is still locking out their triceps then I don't see how it would use LESS triceps.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
less r.om.?

idk i'd like to see the answer to this.

cbcowan13

cbcowan13

Awards
...but the triceps don't have less range of motion. Your triceps are most active from when your elbows are 90 degrees until they are locked out. Unless you avoid the lockout, this happens no matter what grip you use. As far as I can figure, your triceps are always involved the same amount, it's just the level of pectoral activity that varies... but I don't have a degree or anything, that's just what I've figured from looking at it...

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
As you stated a wider grip leads to heavier use of your pecs...by transferring some of the load to the pecs it is moved away from the triceps....conversely, narrow grip bench removes most of the load from the chest and transfers it to the triceps...It's like moving the weight of a car front or back...it still weighs the same but either the front or rear axle bears more load...

On a side note I highly suggest not doing wide grip bench...

http://www.basrat.org/docs/carly_green_bench_press_journal_2007.pdf

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
When doing a wide grip bench you are activating your lats, chest, and shoulders more than you would in a close grip bench because those muscle become more involved in stabilizing the weight. On a closer grip bench you triceps are under tension throughout the whole movement because they are the primary pusher in that situation, but with the wide grip you getting push from your other three muscles and then the triceps kick in up top for the lockout. If you want more tricep activation on a wider grip bench press then make sure to try and rip the bar apart with your hands throughout the movement, as this will put a lot of tension on your tri's. Conversely if you want more chest activation you would try to squeeze your hands together as you press. Finally if you are not using proper technique when benching you should not take a wide grip, but if you are doing everything with good form wide grips are a great and safe way to bring up your chest. Here is a little checklist of what you should be doing when benching:
1: Arch yourself so that you are set up on your traps, and your butt is on the bench.
2: Set your feet on the ground, and try to drive yourself through your heels and back onto your traps more
3: Pull your shoulder blades back and try to pinch the bench with them throughout the whole movement
4: Tuck your elbows as you come down and try to touch the bar to your upper abs
5: Keep your lats tight throughout the whole lift
6: Push your stomach up to the bar as you bring it down, if your butt starts to come up you have to set your feet out wider
7: Squeeze the bar hard and keep your wrists up throughout the movement
8: Do face pulls after ...

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
When doing a wide grip bench you are activating your lats, chest, and shoulders more than you would in a close grip bench because those muscle become more involved in stabilizing the weight. On a closer grip bench you triceps are under tension throughout the whole movement because they are the primary pusher in that situation, but with the wide grip you getting push from your other three muscles and then the triceps kick in up top for the lockout. If you want more tricep activation on a wider grip bench press then make sure to try and rip the bar apart with your hands throughout the movement, as this will put a lot of tension on your tri's. Conversely if you want more chest activation you would try to squeeze your hands together as you press. Finally if you are not using proper technique when benching you should not take a wide grip, but if you are doing everything with good form wide grips are a great and safe way to bring up your chest. Here is a little checklist of what you should be doing when benching:
1: Arch yourself so that you are set up on your traps, and your butt is on the bench.
2: Set your feet on the ground, and try to drive yourself through your heels and back onto your traps more
3: Pull your shoulder blades back and try to pinch the bench with them throughout the whole movement
4: Tuck your elbows as you come down and try to touch the bar to your upper abs
5: Keep your lats tight throughout the whole lift
6: Push your stomach up to the bar as you bring it down, if your butt starts to come up you have to set your feet out wider
7: Squeeze the bar hard and keep your wrists up throughout the movement
8: Do face pulls after ...
Excellent!