Good form, or heavy weight

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.8%

Good form, or heavy weight

I know in order to continually build muscle you need to progressively add more weight to the exercises you perform. Yet when I move up in weight, at times my form suffers slightly in order to move the weight.

Also though, sometimes when my form is as good as it can be, it often limits the amount of weight I can use.

Is it okay to allow a LITTLE bit of loose form in order to move more weight or should you only perform exercises with perfect form and move up in weight more slowly?

Also, should i perform my bench press like this? YouTube - FAT LOSS & Bodybuilding Secrets: 4 Principles 4 Big Chest Muscles

Or, does it really not matter? Or, should it just be a smooth motion the whole time?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I usually do it like stated in the above video. Pause at the bottom so you know it is not a bounce. Also flex at the bottom constricting your pecs will help with growth.

As for form you want to try and maintain form as much as possible, but for me some exercises such as Barbell Bent Row require me to cheat alittle to feel it. As for BB Flat though your best bet is to focus on form and contraction rather than piling on weight.
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.08%

I have this problem when trying to move up in weight for standing dumbell curls. When I'm over 40lbs in each hand and it's my 3rd or 4th set, I find myself slinging my shoulders too much just to get the weight up, and for the next set I usually drop the weight a bit.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.96%

dawg, i get sore when i go down slow, dont bounce this chest or use legs for that extra push, then crank that bar up! i always get sore on chest
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.51%

why not both...you can train heavy and not look like a moron doing it. sacrificing form for weight is a injury waiting to happen. now 'loose' for as you say i would avoid on specific lifts like pressing movements and squats...but some i would say are safe like cable rows and curls to name a few!
  6. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    why not both...you can train heavy and not look like a moron doing it. sacrificing form for weight is a injury waiting to happen. now 'loose' for as you say i would avoid on specific lifts like pressing movements and squats...but some i would say are safe like cable rows and curls to name a few!
    Agreed. I think of it as bringing 100% intensity. I think as long as the lift has 90% good form,... you are doing fine. I posted in another thread concerning this topic. If you look like a robot, not stressed at all or phased by the weight you are lifting, you need to loosen up, higher the weight and get serious. But there is a fine line between a guy using a lil momentum to curl say 135,(with good contraction, slow negative) and a kid with 12 inch arms doing some sort of a reverse power clean, lol.

But be sure you do like the guy in the video does during all your lifts: " Ooo!'' "Ah!" "Ah!" -srry i had too, lol.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.96%

Form is important because it ensures that the correct target muscles are bearing the load.
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.96%

good form. why risk the chance of getting hurt and never being able to reach top performance again.
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82%

I would suggest a set where you use incredibly strict form. Get as many as you can say 7 or 8 and then start to loosen the form just to really kill the muscle you are working. this does not apply to every excercise like stated above.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.61%

Most of the time you want to make your target muscles work as hard as they possibly can through a full range of motion because you're wanting to stimulate and overload as many muscle fibers as possible. More muscle fiber stimulation = more growth (this is why squats and deads are recommended for gaining mass). But there are exceptions to the rules, such as "cheating" and partial range of motion reps, among other things.

There can be a time where you can use "cheating" techniques to your advantage. And in my book, there is a difference between this and just simply having sloppy form. For instance, the push press is a cheating exercise for the shoulders. When you can't get any more strict reps, you use a little momentum (as little as needed) by driving with your legs to help hoist the bar overhead. Doing this allows your shoulder muscles to continue working past the point where you'd normally have to quit. I also tinker with cheat curls, which is essentially the same principle as before: using just enough momentum to curl the weight, making the biceps work as hard as possible (I still make sure to keep my negatives slow and controlled). But "cheating" is something you want to do to make the exercise harder, not easier. A lot of people simply trade heavier weights for sloppy form, thinking they're progressing when they really aren't. If you add more weight and get sloppy, you may be able to lift more, but your target muscles didn't suddenly get stronger; you're just using other muscles to help lift the weight.

If you're trying to build a quality physique, you should be more concerned about how effectively you're training the muscle, not about how much weight you're able to throw around. So other than the occasional incorporation of cheating movements into your routine, there's really no excuse for sloppy form. Now you'll inevitably fall out of strict form with an exercise. Say you're doing heavy barbell rows. Eventually, usually towards the end of the exercise, you'll start swaying a little more to help get the weight up. I think this is perfectly natural and okay when doing heavy compound movements, but should be kept to a minimum. And there's very few reasons to ever let this happen if you're doing a specific isolation exercise, because strictness is very, very important when doing isolation work. If you catch yourself swaying on every set, you're simply using too much weight.

Strict form ensures you're targeting the muscles you want to work. You're making those muscles do as much work as possible, stimulating them as much as possible. If your form gets sloppy, then other muscles are coming into play. Like I said, there's a time and place for switching up your form with an exercise (i.e., cheating, partial reps, ect..), but there is no excuse for just having sloppy form. So my advice is, instead of worrying about how much you can lift, worry about how much you can lift effectively.
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.55%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I still don't understand why this is or, not AND.

If you can't lift it with form, you shouldn't be lifting it.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

Similar Forum Threads

1. What to do for Knee Pain from Heavy Weight
    By schwellington in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
  2. heavy weight vs perfect form during bulk
    By R1balla in forum Bulking
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
  3. Anderson Silva to Heavy Weight?!?!
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA