Bleeding shins on deadlift...anybody else have this problem?

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
alright so, hopefully im not the only one with this issue and i dont sound too much like a retard, but when i deadlift i treat my form very serious...as a result, the bar stays against my shins and thighs throughout the movement to maintain posture and prevent back-arching

as a result though, my shins frequently start bleeding throughout my sets :rant:, and its just really annoying...its gotten to the point where i bring bandages and gauzes to the gym to put on after a few sets...long pants dont help either, i just have blood stains on my pants now lol

anyway, its really not a big deal i guess, just wanted to see if any other of you guys have this issue and how you deal with it...debating wearing long pants and high tube socks :18:

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i'd wear sweat pants when i was doing DL's, or use a barbell where the gnarling is worn smoother. i recently changed my form a bit to focus tension on the lats a bit more so i no longer have this problem.

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
i'd wear sweat pants when i was doing DL's, or use a barbell where the gnarling is worn smoother. i recently changed my form a bit to focus tension on the lats a bit more so i no longer have this problem.
wider grip? ive made that adjustment- keeping ur hands just inside the rings on the barbell, alot of people keep their hands just outside the smoothe part of the bar in the middle, i dislike how my hands touch my knees when i pull the bar up in the movement & in that case the drag against the shins is even worse

im gona try wearing thicker sweatpants, let me know if u adjusted ur form differently from what i described

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i bend at my lower back just before my decent...this is done by starting from off the rack rather than the floor. i basically use less quad from the off the floor so it requires me to use more back. its kinda hard to explain but reduce the weight and focus on not hitting your shins and you will see what i am talking about! the wider grip is where i started though, good move.

my dead lift is at its highest now and i no longer hit my shins!!!

Stangtuner

Stangtuner

Awards
How bout some shin pads?

It'll make you popular at your gym.

"Damn, that guy with the shin pads is hardcore"

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
i have the same problem and I always forget that it happens until it's too late. It makes me feel weird because I don't notice it until much later in my workouts too so I'm always walking around with a bloody left shin. Oddly no one says anything to me about it.

I tried sumo deadlifts the other day and I didn't have a problem at all so I might switch to sumo for awhile.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
you can buy socks made for deadlifting... at most powerlifting competitions they are mandatory so you don't bleed on the bar. Look into them

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the responses, ill prob just pick up a pair eventually, i wonder if regular tube socks/sweats will do the trick, will let u know

i find it somewhat funny i have to arrange and fix a sort of playsuit for :dl:

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Baby Powder!

Just throw some Baby powder on your shins before you DL and that will greatly cut down on the amount of scrapping you get. Also if you open your toes up and push your knees out to the sides you will not only prevent ripping up your shins, but your also going to activate your glutes better for the pull.

ILiftBig

Awards
alright so, hopefully im not the only one with this issue and i dont sound too much like a retard, but when i deadlift i treat my form very serious...as a result, the bar stays against my shins and thighs throughout the movement to maintain posture and prevent back-arching

as a result though, my shins frequently start bleeding throughout my sets :rant:, and its just really annoying...its gotten to the point where i bring bandages and gauzes to the gym to put on after a few sets...long pants dont help either, i just have blood stains on my pants now lol

anyway, its really not a big deal i guess, just wanted to see if any other of you guys have this issue and how you deal with it...debating wearing long pants and high tube socks :18:
Usually what is causing this is your form. You are starting your pull on the toes and then having to pull the weight back to the center line of the body which causes the bar to hit the shins and scrape them. Start with the bar as close to the shin as you can and make sure you have most of your weight on the back and outer 1/3 of the foot. Pull the bar straight up the shin while sitting back on the heels.

Also try putting some baby powder on the shins and thighs to cut any friction.

allenzo

Awards
Be carefull becasue I had the same problem and got an infection in one the scrapes i got from the bar. I know longer hit my shins but I d do not know what I did. I believe it just altered subconsciously.

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
Usually what is causing this is your form. You are starting your pull on the toes and then having to pull the weight back to the center line of the body which causes the bar to hit the shins and scrape them. Start with the bar as close to the shin as you can and make sure you have most of your weight on the back and outer 1/3 of the foot. Pull the bar straight up the shin while sitting back on the heels.

Also try putting some baby powder on the shins and thighs to cut any friction.
Baby Powder!

Just throw some Baby powder on your shins before you DL and that will greatly cut down on the amount of scrapping you get. Also if you open your toes up and push your knees out to the sides you will not only prevent ripping up your shins, but your also going to activate your glutes better for the pull.
respec', i have back in a few days, will take this advice in mind and let u guys know if theres improvements or if im just covered in applesauce :burnout:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Socks, gym pants, blah blah

or

just man up

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
Socks, gym pants, blah blah

or

just man up
thanks, i said it really wasnt a big deal to begin with, but i was just curious to see how other people delt with it/if they had the same issue

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I would totally wear sweats. **** having some bleeding shins! :rant:

eggnog631

Awards
i forgot i was dling one day and i wore bball shorts to the gym. i tore my shins up. ive worn pants ever since, i get a lil red but no broken skin.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I always dl in shorts...I do get small scrapes on my shins, but never tore them open to the point of bleeding. What on earth are you guys doing to yourselves?

bryan4592

Awards
I saw some old guy once wearing duct tape vertically up and down his shins. Looks funny, but no more bar rashes.

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
Yeah, I used to bleed all the time, but not too much. Just a nip here and there. But to be honest, I feel beastly when I finish deadlifting 500 lbs and bleeding :)

Just switch to a bar where the grids on the gripping have been smoothed down from years of use lol.

Afrochowder

Afrochowder

Awards
I have this problem as well, i managed to fix it by a wider grip and standing a little wider, but occasionally i hit my shins still. I don't even notice i hit my shins until i notice they're bleeding cause im so pumped when i do deadlifts lol. And i also agree with hitsquaddd, makes me feel beastly when im slamming weights and bleeding :D.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
you could just wrap the parts of the bar that are touching your legs with towels

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
karma is a beeeiotch...sure enough last night when deadlifting, I look down to find a river of blood running down my leg. Oh well...

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
You guys didn't get the memo??? Guys who do deadlift are too tough to bleed!

Chalk your shins, high socks, long pants, ace bandage your shins, tons of other things to do as well.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
hmm idk i was told my forms pretty good but i keep them from scraping against my legs but do drag it up my shins and quads

shave ur legs that should help

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
hmm idk i was told my forms pretty good but i keep them from scraping against my legs but do drag it up my shins and quads

or.... buy high socks.... much less of a hassle....

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established

i'd rather not shave my legs.

i'm proud of my natural pelt.

i'll deal with the scrapes i don't really give a cr*P:dl:

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
wow...didnt think my thread was still alive...

well, hightop socks chalked on the shins helps plenty, i'll still get some blood here and there, but very minor

i dont want to sound like a jack@ss, but my form is decent i'll say...i've always loved & respected the exercise enough to take whatever steps necessary to improve but never underestimate the toll bad form can take on ur body

just hit 505 for 1 rep recently, proud of that...and no bleeding

i guess i came off as a puss, but i've been sucking it up for years...i just felt it was time to see how other people deal with it...just seems i have these very minor scabs on my shins that never fully recover, and the slightest brush of the bar with a decent amount of weight takes em right off, and those little fckers bleed a suprising amount

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
wow...didnt think my thread was still alive...

well, hightop socks chalked on the shins helps plenty, i'll still get some blood here and there, but very minor

i dont want to sound like a jack@ss, but my form is decent i'll say...i've always loved & respected the exercise enough to take whatever steps necessary to improve but never underestimate the toll bad form can take on ur body

just hit 505 for 1 rep recently, proud of that...and no bleeding

i guess i came off as a puss, but i've been sucking it up for years...i just felt it was time to see how other people deal with it...just seems i have these very minor scabs on my shins that never fully recover, and the slightest brush of the bar with a decent amount of weight takes em right off, and those little fckers bleed a suprising amount

haha dude i'm not sure but i've always been taught to drag the weights all the up against your legs for proper form.

i think if you're bleedin ur doing it right.

takes a tough mother to stand there and keep pullin with blood rolling down your shins, your muscles screamin at ya to quit, sweat pourin down makin it hard to hold onto the bar...

but that's what makes us body builders. it's what seperates us from the pansy asses who're in there staring at themselves inthe mirror doing curls 6 days a week dreamin of all the tang they'll get at the beach. screw them. i

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
haha dude i'm not sure but i've always been taught to drag the weights all the up against your legs for proper form.

i think if you're bleedin ur doing it right.

takes a tough mother to stand there and keep pullin with blood rolling down your shins, your muscles screamin at ya to quit, sweat pourin down makin it hard to hold onto the bar...

but that's what makes us body builders. it's what seperates us from the pansy asses who're in there staring at themselves inthe mirror doing curls 6 days a week dreamin of all the tang they'll get at the beach. screw them. i
amen & rep to that...couldn't describe that better

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
bleedin= sooper bad assness

Brutus977

Awards
Regardless of the scrapes, try sumos for a month or so. Its a different exercise all together. And its not as hard on your spine. I switch up every six weeks or so and gain progressively on both forms.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Regardless of the scrapes, try sumos for a month or so. Its a different exercise all together. And its not as hard on your spine. I switch up every six weeks or so and gain progressively on both forms.
i like sumo, i feel like it hits my inner leg muscles more than anything.

i'm actually going to do sumo next workout...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 31
Anabolics 64
Anabolics 8
merph Training Forum 9
Anabolics 4