A Good Pair of Gloves

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Well, so far I've been through the top of the line gloves by Scheik (with the lifetime guarantee), and two pairs of Sarnac gloves (the kind with double wrist-wraps, the only place I've ever seen them for sale is on military posts). I've ripped them all to ****, just from everyday use, the right glove is always worse. What I'm really looking for is for somebody to tell me of a pair of gloves that actually gives as much grip or more than bare hands, and not falling apart would be a bonus. For instance, I deadlifted today. Warmed up, built up to 375lbs. Got 2 reps. Went down to 345, got 2 reps. Got pissed off, threw my gloves, put 375 back on the bar, wrapped a towel around the bar, and got 10 reps. Chewed the **** out of my hands and skinned my knee with the towel on a negative, but my grip was like superglue. I won't resort to straps because I like my grip strength, but I'd like some gloves that I don't have to sacrifice 8 reps on my deadlift and still protect my hands.

J

jaketparker

Awards
I use the harbinger big grips and ive never had a problem wtih them, But im a lean bitch and obviously dont lift as much as you do. Might be worth giving those a shot and if those dont work out for you suck it up, grab a pair of lifting straps, and do some seperate forearm training for the grip.

C

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
I have also used Harbinger gloves for two years (the type with "washable leather") and they are fine. (Maybe one more year left in them.) Still, based on how briefly your gloves lasted, my guess is that you are a lot harder on gloves than I am.

R

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
dont use gloves, they are for chicks. Wear you're callouses with pride!!!!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
personally never used gloves cept' a few times when i was just starting off. You'll get to a point when your calouses (sp) dont keep on ripping off..... the use of straps, wraps, etc are all things that aid in lifting or for support. gloves sole purpose is to keep that baby skin..... be a man (wink) ;)
Sage

D

dito

Awards
  • Established
Dito does not use gloves as well. Nor straps or anything of that nature. Just chalk. I bought some COC grippers to increase my grip strength. Cant even close the #1's but will soon.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
I got the Ivanko Super Gripper, myself. I hope my hands really get to a point where the callouses don't fall off. I tried to max out my deadlift a couple of months back, had to take off the gloves for 405, and ripped a huge chunk off between the middle and ring finger of my left hand. Started dripping blood, but hey, at least I got the lift!

G

Griffin

Board Supporter
Awards
I agree with Rictor33 gloves are for chickes. I never used them and never will. I scrape my calouses down once in a while so they dont get to big and rip off.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
well i ripped enough skin off my hands over a 5-6 month period that my hands would just be pulsing with pain... i have to wear gloves or otherwise i'm going to **** my skin up doing this...

my dad did the same thing a long time ago; and now he has super dry and cracking skin on his hands... i never want my hands to get like that

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
I trained back today with no gloves because of you fuckers ;) Just out of curiosity for all you guys with no straps or gloves, how much weight do you use for sets of bent over barbell rows, DB and bar shrugs, deadlifts, ect.?

G

good_guye28

Awards
  • Established
no gloves, my hands dont get ripped up anymore........

D

dito

Awards
  • Established
I trained back today with no gloves because of you fuckers ;) Just out of curiosity for all you guys with no straps or gloves, how much weight do you use for sets of bent over barbell rows, DB and bar shrugs, deadlifts, ect.?
I deadlift 335X3 right now. DB shrugs I would use 85'sX12 but havent been doing them lately. Actually on dl's I could get more if my grip was better. I figure If I cant do it with my bare hands I am not meant to do it.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
I deadlift 335X3 right now. DB shrugs I would use 85'sX12 but havent been doing them lately. Actually on dl's I could get more if my grip was better. I figure If I cant do it with my bare hands I am not meant to do it.
try wrapping a cotton towel around the bar on dl's.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
made my grip like glue, but is kinda rough on the hands

D

dito

Awards
  • Established
Ahhh that works for pull ups too. I have some COC Grippers that I am training grip with. I bought the 1s, 2s, and 3s. I can almost close the #1s. Whooo hooo.

S

Squiboy

Awards
I'm 16 deadlifing 430lbs 5 times, no gloves, but nice little blood blisters ha..ha... the callouses weill get better im sure, i also shrug around 340, 360, 380

Last edited:
supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
16 years old?, your avatar says you're 23

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Interesting.. so is it 23 or 16 Squiboy?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
16 and being able to deadlift 4 plates + for reps...... if you legit, than hats off to you man. (remember that thread regarding lying about personal best lifts? :) )
Sage

S

Squiboy

Awards
Im actually 16 but i was nervous when i signed up because of the 18 year old thing, did i mention im 6' 2" 235 lbs, so its not as sweet as being a little guy doing that much, and yes i give you my WORD that i really do deadlift that much and chrug that much, as a freshman i was doing 480 lbs on squat but it went down during football cause i was always too tired to lift after practice. i promise those are my true stats... and its 4 plates and a 10.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Well I figured if a 16 year old can do it, than so can I. I just went downstairs to the gym and warmed up, built to 415, told myself I was gonna get it at least 5 times, and I only got it ONCE! And it took me THREE tries! And I'm 6'0" 225lbs. Mad props bro! What supps do you use?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
No gloves here, but I do use straps when I go real heavy with barbell shrugs, or DB rows. My wife hates my calluses and wants me to start wearing gloves. But, until she cuts me off, I'll go without. :D

Years ago I used pieces of a bicycle inner tube. Just cut them as long as your hand is wide, then cut them open long ways. They will last you forever, not to mention inexpensive. They are comfortable and allow for a good grip.

S

Squiboy

Awards
Well I figured if a 16 year old can do it, than so can I. I just went downstairs to the gym and warmed up, built to 415, told myself I was gonna get it at least 5 times, and I only got it ONCE! And it took me THREE tries! And I'm 6'0" 225lbs. Mad props bro! What supps do you use?
I am a completely natural lifter, ive never even taken creatine. i just lift for about 2 hours a day after school. guess im just naturally strong.

D

drei

Awards
Harbinger Big Grips

I also use the Harbinger Big Grips they are awesome. I have had them for almost a year and have washed them quite a few times and they still are holding out. Even though the weights and have gotten heavier and I have gotten more agressive in training. :)

R

Rokdog

Awards
I use Harbingers. They hold up pretty well. You don't want too much padding as it will mess with your grip. For those of you who insist on not using gloves, good for you. I don't need the added distraction. For those of you who think that lifters who use gloves are pussys, let me kick you in your junk, then try a deadlift.

F

FTMGuy

Awards
I use gloves and hooker2's. I like the Harbingers but don't get the ones with the little rubber grips they killed my lifting. But for back days the hookers are a must have I am not working my grip on back days I am working my back. I can work my grip on another day or after I get done with Bi's. As for my personal best is 130# DB for a set of 6 on DB rows. Why only 130# DB's because thats the highest my gym has.