Optimal workout recovery?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Optimal workout recovery?

Currently, I workout Mon, Wed and Fri. I do full upper body Monday, Friday and legs on Wednesday.

I figure this is good recovery time and i hit all muscle groups.

My schedule has just opened up and i can workout whenever i want to. So, what is optimal for working out? 3 days a week, 4 days a week, 5 days a week? What do you think?

Goals are to gain muscle and strength. I do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday, but not much. I only run 1.5 miles and that takes me 11:20. I just do that to keep my speed up and I've heard it's healthy...

I'm 5'7 150lbs.

Bench 185 max
    Squat 245 max
    Deadlift 245max

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.91%

I'd drop the running if you are trying to gain size.

Depending on the type of training you are doing 3-4 days lifting each week should be fine. Stick to the basics (squat, bench, dead, pullups) and progression of the weight.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.53%

You can keep the running and still gain size, you just need to do work in the kitchen (eat more). Staying fit from a cardiovascular sense is never a bad idea.

Personally, I like workout out four days a week, but it's entirely up to you, although five days per week may be pushing it.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.43%

I attempt to do every other day.......so usually 4 days a week. I can get away going back to back some nights....but three nights in a row and I get pretty torn up.

And yeah, just up the intake and keep the cardio.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.58%

Quote Originally Posted by maurice02 View Post
    I attempt to do every other day.......so usually 4 days a week. I can get away going back to back some nights....but three nights in a row and I get pretty torn up.

And yeah, just up the intake and keep the cardio.
    I think you should try different methods and see which one allows u to complete all ur lifts with a decent amount of energy. You dont wanna be walking up to bench of deadlifts already tired.

As for gaining mass you body has a "optimum" time for nutrient absorbtion. It is 30 minutes immediately after your workout so within those 30 minutes try and get in as much good quaility food or weight gainer/ protein shakes. Another thing about the lifting is you should never work out more than an hour straight (as far as actaully lifting, this does not include breaks stretching, water etc just the amount of time you are actually performing lifts). Once an hour has passed your body starts releasing cortisol which is catabolic and thats the last thing you want.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.03%

Quote Originally Posted by someguy1984 View Post
    Currently, I workout Mon, Wed and Fri. I do full upper body Monday, Friday and legs on Wednesday.

I figure this is good recovery time and i hit all muscle groups.

My schedule has just opened up and i can workout whenever i want to. So, what is optimal for working out? 3 days a week, 4 days a week, 5 days a week? What do you think?

Goals are to gain muscle and strength. I do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday, but not much. I only run 1.5 miles and that takes me 11:20. I just do that to keep my speed up and I've heard it's healthy...

I'm 5'7 150lbs.

Bench 185 max
    Squat 245 max
    Deadlift 245max
    The old time natural guys used to stretch out an extra half day so that you get just a little over 48 hours recovery. It's easy to go catabolic if you're natural and these guys really knew how to put on the muscle w/o chemicals. Depends on your situation though.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM
  2. Post workout/Recovery?
    By KillaK2010 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
  3. All New Recovery/Post-Workout Recovery Formula!!!
    By ScottyDoc in forum Finaflex-Redefine Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
  4. Optimal workout time?
    By someguy1984 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 01:36 AM
  5. Workout recovery time
    By EasyEJL in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 01:25 PM