Optimal workout recovery?

someguy1984

Awards
Currently, I workout Mon, Wed and Fri. I do full upper body Monday, Friday and legs on Wednesday.

I figure this is good recovery time and i hit all muscle groups.

My schedule has just opened up and i can workout whenever i want to. So, what is optimal for working out? 3 days a week, 4 days a week, 5 days a week? What do you think?

Goals are to gain muscle and strength. I do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday, but not much. I only run 1.5 miles and that takes me 11:20. I just do that to keep my speed up and I've heard it's healthy...

I'm 5'7 150lbs.

Bench 185 max
Squat 245 max
Deadlift 245max

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I'd drop the running if you are trying to gain size.

Depending on the type of training you are doing 3-4 days lifting each week should be fine. Stick to the basics (squat, bench, dead, pullups) and progression of the weight.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
You can keep the running and still gain size, you just need to do work in the kitchen (eat more). Staying fit from a cardiovascular sense is never a bad idea.

Personally, I like workout out four days a week, but it's entirely up to you, although five days per week may be pushing it.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I attempt to do every other day.......so usually 4 days a week. I can get away going back to back some nights....but three nights in a row and I get pretty torn up.

And yeah, just up the intake and keep the cardio.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
I attempt to do every other day.......so usually 4 days a week. I can get away going back to back some nights....but three nights in a row and I get pretty torn up.

And yeah, just up the intake and keep the cardio.
I think you should try different methods and see which one allows u to complete all ur lifts with a decent amount of energy. You dont wanna be walking up to bench of deadlifts already tired.

As for gaining mass you body has a "optimum" time for nutrient absorbtion. It is 30 minutes immediately after your workout so within those 30 minutes try and get in as much good quaility food or weight gainer/ protein shakes. Another thing about the lifting is you should never work out more than an hour straight (as far as actaully lifting, this does not include breaks stretching, water etc just the amount of time you are actually performing lifts). Once an hour has passed your body starts releasing cortisol which is catabolic and thats the last thing you want.

BignBad

Awards
Currently, I workout Mon, Wed and Fri. I do full upper body Monday, Friday and legs on Wednesday.

I figure this is good recovery time and i hit all muscle groups.

My schedule has just opened up and i can workout whenever i want to. So, what is optimal for working out? 3 days a week, 4 days a week, 5 days a week? What do you think?

Goals are to gain muscle and strength. I do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday, but not much. I only run 1.5 miles and that takes me 11:20. I just do that to keep my speed up and I've heard it's healthy...

I'm 5'7 150lbs.

Bench 185 max
Squat 245 max
Deadlift 245max
The old time natural guys used to stretch out an extra half day so that you get just a little over 48 hours recovery. It's easy to go catabolic if you're natural and these guys really knew how to put on the muscle w/o chemicals. Depends on your situation though.