How to train legs with knee problems.....

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

How to train legs with knee problems.....

I personally have neglected my legs the last year or two. I had patella surgery and cannot do squats, lunges, or leg extensions anymore without re-aggravating the injury. In order to help the healing process, I need to build up the muscles around me knee (specifically the quads). How can I do this without these key exercises???

2. Gate Keeper

well when I had knee surgery and had to do the same I started on the treadmill using the incline. Once I could walk on the highest include with some 10lb db's I moved to the stair climber doing the same thing. Believe it or not it works the legs quite well. From their trying a lying leg sled and maybe a leg press.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

I know exactly what you are going through. I've had multiple procedures on my knees. Time and patience are your greatest allies now. If you have access to a pool, water resistance training can be very helpful while rehabbing. At one point, I stopped all the exercises you mentioned for over a year while trying to get my knee back in shape. Don't give up hope my friend. Slow and steady work will yield long term gains for you.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

i just had my 3rd knee surgery 2 weeks ago. already squating again. if you want big legs you have to squat or do some variation of them. Ive never known anyone with big legs who didnt.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

if you had your 3rd knee surgery two weeks ago, and your already squating.... doesn't that explain your 2nd and 3rd and soon to be 4th knee surgery???
  6. Gate Keeper

well spike walking without a limp or cane is more important then squating. Squats are the best exercise bar none for legs but their not the only one. You can still build a nice pair of wheels without them.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

first two surgeries were from football and third from leg presses and hack squats. none yet from squatting. i know they are dangerous but they are making my legs grow now. still on twigs but they are getting better
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.

how long ago was the patella surgery? I tore mine clear off my junior year of college playing rugby. I was squatting again probably a year after light and worked my way up. I don't go nearly as heavy as i used to but i can still get up a good amount. I don't know your stats but im sure if you went light you may be ok especially since its been two years.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.

You could start w/ something like terminal knee extensions to build up the ligament/tendon strength and get your patella tendon used to the pull again. From there work up to bodyweight squats, and lunges. Remember to continue to work on flexibility so that you don't risk tearing it again.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    From there work up to bodyweight squats, and lunges.
    Agreed. Calisthenics would be the way to go.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I went though a minor leg rehab years ago. not like yours they had my doing pt with leg extensions..and some other exercise its to hard to explain and Im too lazy
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.

My suggestion is look into box squats both front and back. They alleviate stress on the knees by allowing you to keep your shins parallel and not allow your knees to go pass your toes. Also, you can adjust the box to different heights allowing you to slowing progress to a lower box when your knees are comfortable with it.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Leg extensions are the worst thing you can do for patella tendons, I know that and won't ever do them again. I love box squats, but I'm not familiar with terminal knee extensions, can someone explain these to me?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    well when I had knee surgery and had to do the same I started on the treadmill using the incline. Once I could walk on the highest include with some 10lb db's I moved to the stair climber doing the same thing. Believe it or not it works the legs quite well. From their trying a lying leg sled and maybe a leg press.
    I was gonna say the same thing...
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    My suggestion is look into box squats both front and back. They alleviate stress on the knees by allowing you to keep your shins parallel and not allow your knees to go pass your toes. Also, you can adjust the box to different heights allowing you to slowing progress to a lower box when your knees are comfortable with it.
    Ive tried these. Louie Simmons has some articles describing it and Dave Tate a video on youtube.

this is how i describe the feel when doing these It feels like I'm squeezing my inner glutes together when coming up, after sitting down and pausing , then coming up. Maybe Pmiller can chime in if this sounds like I'm doing these right?
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by spikewhite View Post
    first two surgeries were from football and third from leg presses and hack squats. none yet from squatting. i know they are dangerous but they are making my legs grow now. still on twigs but they are getting better
    You might be on twigs now, then on to tree trunks, but if you don't treat them well, you gonna be on wheels. I am not talking chromes with white wall tires or deep dish spinners either. Treat them well my friend.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squating problems b/c of knee & other problems - help
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
  2. when to train legs
    By mkretz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 11:57 AM
  3. ACL reconstruction... Train legs unilaterally?
    By redrocket399 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
  4. what percent of guys in your gym train legs?
    By spatch in forum General Chat
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 05:36 PM
  5. Should a female train legs hard or not?
    By TheUsual in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 04:44 PM