What squat stance do you use?

• Wide stance

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Close stance

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

ILiftBig

Awards
Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research:Volume 23(1)January 2009pp 246-250
The Effect of Stance Width on the Electromyographical Activity of Eight Superficial Thigh Muscles During Back Squat With Different Bar Loads

[Original Research]
Paoli, Antonio1; Marcolin, Giuseppe1; Petrone, Nicola2

1Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Section of Physiology, and 2Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Address correspondence to Antonio Paoli, [email protected].

Abstract

Paoli, A, Marcolin, G, and Petrone, N. The effect of stance width on the electromyographical activity of eight superficial thigh muscles during back squat with different bar loads. J Strength Cond Res 23(1): 246-250, 2009-Many strength trainers believe that varying the stance width during the back squat can target specific muscles of the thigh. The aim of the present work was to test this theory measuring the activation of 8 thigh muscles while performing back squats at 3 stance widths and with 3 different bar loads. Six experienced lifters performed 3 sets of 10 repetitions of squats, each one with a different stance width, using 3 resistances: no load, 30% of 1-repetition maximum (1RM), and 70% 1RM. Sets were separated by 6 minutes of rest. Electromyographic (EMG) surface electrodes were placed on the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, semitendinosus, biceps femoris, gluteus maximus, gluteus medium, and adductor maior. Analysis of variance and Scheffè post hoc tests indicated a significant difference in EMG activity only for the gluteus maximus; in particular, there was a higher electrical activity of this muscle when back squats were performed at the maximum stance widths at 0 and 70% 1RM. There were no significant differences concerning the EMG activity of the other analyzed muscles. These findings suggest that a large width is necessary for a greater activation of the gluteus maximus during back squats.

So.....according to this study, if you are just wanting to hit the 3 vasti and the hams, wide or narrow stance does the same thing. If you need to hit the glutes too, then it looks like the wide stance is the way to go.

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm. So if only the ass is affected by squat stance, then does the chest take the place of the ass in the benchpress? And if the ass is taking more of the load, then shouldn't another area have less effort to move the load, meaning less activity?

crazilyfter42

Awards
Cool study, thanks for sharing it. This is good to know b/c I strictly do wide stance squats. They dont hurt my knees as much. I always assumed wide grip put more pressure on the glutes and upper thighs and narrow more on the lower thigh areas. Thats the way my muscles feel anyway.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i take a wide stance to get the feel of more hip/quad/ham/glute action. narrow stance feels like im working less muscles

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I usually just do shoulder width, so I picked close!!