Ia 9day

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
I just started ia's 9day routine a few weeks ago after posting the "iron addict" thread. doggcrapp was completely wrong on the hardest part being you have to eat like a madman. The hardest part for me and i'm assuming everyone else is staying out of the gym so much. Since I can't stay out i go and do sprints on my day off 1/4mi warmup, 3 balls to the wall sprints and like 1/4 cool down with some walking in there also. think this will hurt me ia?

I just started to do my next cycle of this 9day routine and ALL weights went up 2reps or about 10lbs. I just raised all my weights in 1.5 weeks, amazing. i'm stilling have a hard time because i want to lift 4 or 5 times a week. thats the hard part...but i'm gonna give it a good shot...

I use to squat 205 for like 8 (ass to the grass) on the smith machine. now i'm doing 205 for 20 with some rest pauses. next time i'm going to go for 225 at 20reps. bench went up 2 reps to 10 (now i'll add more weight) and incline went up 10lbs...this truly is amazing

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Like you, I just can't see myself going to the gym 3 out of every 9 days....but its worth a shot considering my lack of progress lately. Keep us informed on your results.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
on a 9 day routine are you still only doing 6-9 sets for most bodyparts?

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
For most people, the reason their bodybuilding goals fail is lack of diet, not lack of training.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
day 1:
bench 2 warmups, 2 working sets
close grip bench 2warm, 2 work
dumbell 2 warm, 2 working

2 days off

day 4
squat-20rep
deadlift 2warm, 2working
calves 2 sets of 15 rep doggcrap style (THEY HURT)
heavy abs 3 sets

2 days off

day7:
pull up/down: 2warm, 2 working
bent row: same
barbell curl: one warm, 2 working
hammer curl: one warm, 2 working

2days off

repeat

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I use to squat 205 for like 8 (ass to the grass) on the smith machine. now i'm doing 205 for 20 with some rest pauses. next time i'm going to go for 225 at 20reps.
I'm not a fan of the Smith Machine for squats because it is not the normal arc motion like free weight squatting. I'm sure others can explain it more technically than myself, but I've read that it puts some additional stresses on the back, hips, and knees compared to free weight squatting.

Here is a link to one of the best squatting compilations I've seen. http://www.anabolicuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4290

~Todd

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
day 1:
bench 2 warmups, 2 working sets
close grip bench 2warm, 2 work
dumbell 2 warm, 2 working
Is your dumbell exercise (I bolded it above) a dumbell shoulder press exercise?

day 4
squat-20rep
deadlift 2warm, 2working
calves 2 sets of 15 rep doggcrap style (THEY HURT)
heavy abs 3 sets
Is your deadlift exercise (I bolded it above) regular deadlifts or stiff legged deadlifts?

By repeat, do you mean that you're doing the exact same exercises the next week OR are you picking another exercise that works the same muscle. Example would be week 1 benchpress and week 2 incline benchpress.

~Todd

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
right now i'm doing the same excersizes when i repeat, eventually when my gains stop i'll toss in another excersize to replace it.

normal deadlifts

yes i do sitting very incline dumbell press, almost striaght up and down

hope that helps

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i am going to turn this into a mon,wed,fri split as its much easier with schoola nd since i'm in the national guard. see how it goes. i don't doubt the 9 day routine is good, but i have to alter it to my lifestyle also.

will be jogging 20min on tue and thur riding a stationary bike 20min...

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
yah, but i was once active duty also. i just got sick of people making a big deal out of ironed clothes and polished boots and a haircut. talk about a shallow military :)

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know believe me I know. I miss being a PJ, they never bothered us. I would have though that they would leave you S.E.R.E. guys alone.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
we teach, standards are high, in the woods we were left alone, while teaching you have to be top notch, it gets old

Gollum

Awards
I'm on DC's 3 day a week routine and I love it. I modified it slightly as it's easier for me to get to the gym on the weekend so I train Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday then two days off and repeat.

On my off days I do light cardio. Well, I'm supposed to but sometimes I wimp out. Hey, it's the winter. I try to do two cardio sessions per week at the very least.

I've been making steady gains in both bodyweight and iron poundages on this routine. I've found my "sweet spot" as IA and DC call it. Any more work and I would slip into overtraining. Any less and I would sacrifice gains. I'm right there and I walk a fine line.

While staying out of the gym and stopping at one set when you want to do more is hard, for me the eating can be a pain in the ass. I work a LOT. I have my own business and I also maintain a full time job so I run around like a maniac. I usually wind up chugging protein shakes or hammering down hamburgers while I'm driving. I have been known to sneak out of meetings and hide in the hallway gobbling two cans of tuna that I had hidden in my briefcase. I have food stashed everywhere. It's ridiculous but it has to be done.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
like i said i changed it to mon/wed/fri split so its a 3 in 7 now. so much easier with school and all.

anyway, weights are all up. did 215 on the smith machien for 20rep FULL squats. that **** HURTS! for deadlift i'm only doing 275 for 9 though (1 rep more than last time). i know its weak, i had a really really serious back injury when i was in the militaryr and well i am taking it slow on those excersizes. doc told me the better shape i'm in the longer till i have fussion. but hey, i'm doing them :) funny this grip is my hardest part with them, and i HATE wrist wraps.

calves HURT doing them dc's way...i'm almost shaking by rep 15. next is bicept/lat day, my FAVORITE. here i come 145lb barbell curls...for 7 this time

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
2gcorey-

i have done some research on sprinting and what i have found (also after buying a book) is that its just like lifting.. you want to keep the volume low (as i see you have) and keep the rest intervals high.. this is an example of a speed routine for someone training to get extra speed for a sport

2 sets of 3 reps (4 minutes between reps and 10 minutes between sets)

do sprints that DO NOT exceed 7 seconds.. this will help convert more fibers to fast twitch and aslo train your body for maximum acceleration..

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
awesome lakemountD...yah, i do warm up for like 1/4mi then just a few sprints 50meters or so then cooldown, just something to get the blood pumping good. i'veh eard that cycling your speeds like we're doing is better for losing weight then a steady slow pace also...

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
oh man, day after leg day and i'm SORE! no workout has ever had me this sore. i added 10lbs to my 20rep squat. surprised i didn't blow my eyeballs out and have my nuts burst out through my shorts while my ass fell out. wow, that lift is the one i'm almost scared of now. if i have to keep going up in weights...i feel the best when done, but i'm the most scared of it

Gollum

Awards
That's awesome. The 20 rep squat is hell on earth. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say you are scared of the next workout because you know you have to add weight. I get nervous before I go to the gym, especially if it's a day where I am going to deadlift or squat. It's a great feeling though to train at this level of intensity.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
yup its a hate/love relationship on this workout. good thing is i hate it for 15 min before and 5 min while doing it then get to love the feeling for a week

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just started on a 7 day split training IA style on wednesday this week, where I followed an exercise split pretty much the same as 2gcorey. I can already tell that after my first workout that I'm going to love this kind of training. I'm actually excited to perform my next chest/shoulder/tricep workout, to see if I have made strength increases from the last workout. I was working out with a boatload of volume and frequency over the last few months, and my joints were starting to bother me. I suspect that the lowered volume on this style of split will give my tendons and joints some much needed recovery time.

I'm curious as to how you manage to do deadlifts with any intensity after a 20 rep squat set. I haven't done a squat set of this sort before, and don't really know the best way to warmup for it, or what kind of weight I should be shooting for the first time when performing a set of this nature.

Something I definitely intend to work hard on is improving my squat depth in the weeks to come. I've always been very limited in flexibility, and have let my desire to squat with heavy weights hold me away from making the switch to deep squatting, instead performing what amounts to heavy partials instead. It's shameful to admit that I wasn't even squatting to parallel with back squats, for little reason more than to keep the weights moved higher. It's definitely time to go deep!

I noticed that I don't seem to have the same kind of DOMS in my chest and triceps that I would normally see from a volume based workout, nor did I experience the kind of pump that I would from volume training. That aspect will be somewhat hard to get used to, but if I see the kind of results from this type of training I hope to muscle pump can be damned!

One last thing, how do you guys suggest as the best way to work calves at home? I perform my squats from a cheapass power rack setup that doesn't even contain any kind of safety catches (useless I know) and have always done a tiptoe type of calf raise. Any suggestions for a good home based calf workout would be much appreciated.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious as to how you manage to do deadlifts with any intensity after a 20 rep squat set.
I was curious also, but I got tied up and didn't follow-up after Corey answered my initial questions. Also, was curious if Corey felt his leg routine was hitting his hamstrings very well?

Another question that I had was if he felt he was doing his deltoids justice by working triceps prior to dumbell military raises?

BTW, I'm doing a hardgainer style routine on a 7 day split, and it's posted near the end of this thread.

~Todd

Last edited:

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
One last thing, how do you guys suggest as the best way to work calves at home? I perform my squats from a cheapass power rack setup that doesn't even contain any kind of safety catches (useless I know) and have always done a tiptoe type of calf raise. Any suggestions for a good home based calf workout would be much appreciated.
You could do this off a plate or 2x4:

A calf block looks like it'd be pretty easy to build out of scrap lumber. Afterwards, you could do this in your power cage:

~Todd

Last edited:

Gollum

Awards
Max Silver,

Personally I dont deadlift and squat on the same day. I do a upper/lower body split. Well, I sneak in biceps on lower body day. I can't imagine deadlifting after doing a 20 rep squat.

As far as warming up, I like to do one very light set of squats, another with slightly heavier weight and less reps, then one actual heavy set to failure followed by the 20 rep destroyer. I wouldnt worry too much about how much weight you are using. That will go up in time. I would worry more about form and going to rock bottom. I would rather use 225 and go ass to ankles than use 315 and barely nit parallel. I used to load up the bar to the point where I was doing a 3/4 rep. No good. Your ego will take a little hit at first but once you get past your progress should go through the roof. Just check your ego at the door.

Yeah, you dont always get the same kind of pump from this type of workout. I dont get as sore either. But as IA and DC always say getting a pump/sore is NOT necessari;y the sign of a productive workout. Once again, it's all ego. It's all in our heads.

It's interesting to note that the soreness I get from this style of training is a deep muscle soreness that is very intense and brief. When I used a volume routine it was more in my joints/muscle connections and it lasted longer. Better recovery? Could be.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think I might just hold off on the 20 rep squats for the time being, and instead do two allout sets to failure for my first time on this routine. I do intend to do regular deadlifts after the squats are finished, and don't want to destroy myself before I get to them. I have toyed around with the idea of doing stiff legged deads instead, but find that these severely work my upper back, to the point where I'd still be feeling sore on my upper back day if I were to do them. Decisions, decisions....

...still gotta say I'm very excited about this new routine though. I work a grueling work schedule, which consists of 7 12 hour shifts in a row, followed by a week off. This lowered volume will leave me with more time to do stuff during the work week, and less likely to skimp out on much needed sleep.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
well i'm very tired after my 20rep squats but 5 through 10min later i can still start my warmups on my deadlifts. i'm sure the more i do the 20 rep squats the more my body will adjust to it also. sure i'm definatley feeling beat to hell after my leg day though.

how am i working my hams? well i'm assuming squats and deadlifts hits them to a point, BUT i'm debating swaping in straight legged deadlifts every other time I deadlift. i do believe that when i do normal deadlifts and squats though that i'm hitting my hams to a certain degree...like doggcrapp said...i might not be PERFECTLY symetrical, but i'll be big as **** then worry about the details. notice i'm not doing any neck excersizes or forarms, etc...the lifts are all compound though i think all my muscles get hit, just some more than others, but in time i'll even it out when i feel i need to, right now i don't see it as a problem. just my .02

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
oh yah today is bicept day, gotta hit 125lbs for 7reps today...gonna be a tough one

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's an idea I'm toying with for my first IA style leg workout. My knees have been bothering me after blasting fullbore on m1t, so I've decided to give them about an 11-12 day break before performing a leg workout; But back to the idea I'm thinking of, how about instead of performing two sets of regular deads to failure, performing 1 set of regular deadlifts and one set of stiff legged deadlifts? I suspect that may be the best of both worlds, as far as still providing a decent amount of stimulation for the hamstrings and still keep the total volume low. Or barring that, would it be too much volume to add in a few sets of leg curls at the end of the workout for the hamstrings?

Gollum

Awards
That's a good question.

I won't pretend to know the answer but I would be interested to hear what IA has to say about that.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
how about instead of performing two sets of regular deads to failure, performing 1 set of regular deadlifts and one set of stiff legged deadlifts? I suspect that may be the best of both worlds, as far as still providing a decent amount of stimulation for the hamstrings and still keep the total volume low.
Or barring that, would it be too much volume to add in a few sets of leg curls at the end of the workout for the hamstrings?
Good Questions.

It looks like too much volume for me (probably work with a volume reduction), but bellx1 reposted this over at UGFFL.

~Todd

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I personally don't do deads and squats on the same day either. I was used to fairly high volume but these two together proved too much for my lower back and back in general. I noticed I was getting a sway back appearance when doing that type of routine.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, just a quick update for myself. After a week and a half layoff for legs I hit up an IA style leg workout today, and have to say that I really enjoyed it. I performed lengthy stretching sessions for the last 4 days or so, and again today after a quick 5 minute warmup on the bike. All the stretching paid off nicely as I was able to perform deep squats without too much difficulty, nice and deep and slow descents. It was a little humbling though to see my 315 pound partial squat obliterated down to a 165 pound full squat : ) I'm sure that'll increase quickly enough though with this reduced volume. And with the much improved form I'm finding afterwards that my wonky knees are feeling pretty good, whereas the sloppy partials I was doing were murder on the knees.

I performed two sets of deads, one set with a narrow stance and one set from a sumo stance. I think I might stick with the sumos next time out as I found these to hit my hamstrings better than what the more narrow stance did. All in all a very satisfying workout.

And I couldn't resist, had to throw in one set of single leg leg curls to failure just to finish off the hamstrings. I figured I got a week to recover, and wasn't certain how hard they were hit with the earlier exercises. Can't wait for next week to hit legs again!

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
yah i'm doing 220 next time for 20 rep deed squats. i can't wait to do 315 deeps and watch the partial squaters just stare at me...it will come! so far i'm going up 5lbs a week in everything almost

2 weeks after i ditched m1t i'm now weighing the same as my max while on it.

this stuff works, its no joke...

Gollum

Awards
Good stuff, 2gcorey. I'm on my way to 315 for 20 squats myself. I am currently using 245 and getting 17 ass to grass squats. When I finally hit a TRUE set of 20 I will add another 10 lbs and start again. It's gonna be a long road, but I'll get there.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ended up doing two sets of squats to near failure for the first time out, just to make sure my knees were up to the task after the short layoff. I think for next time out I'll hit up one allout rest-pause set to failure, and try to get into the 20 rep squat mode.

Here's a quick question I asked in another thread, didn't see any answers there though. On my chest/shoulder/tricep day I am performing some rotator cuff exercises. Would you guys recommend these be done before or after the main workout? I noticed in the past that doing them beforehand lessens the amount of reps I can push out during the workout, but I imagine they would be a good way to properly warm up the rotators beforehand. Opinions?

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
don't know about the rotator cuff thing...sorry. hopefully IA can reply maybe

just did legs today...up to 220 20 rep squats, had the entire gym watching me as i grunted my way up with a red face, testicles felt like popping out my nostrils, and i swear i shot my asshole 4" out my ass on the last few. i then racked the bar and dropped to my ass and sat there for 5 min while 3 people came up and asked if i was okay. going up 5lbs a week and this **** is unreal!!!!! the funniest part is i get to the gym and watch all the hotties for 15min cause i don't want to start my 20 rep, i love it afterwards, but DREAD STARTING IT. i almost quit today at 15, but i got the last 5 with some grunting and growling.

my quads are starting to get defined for the first time ever...starting to see some lines running throughout the quads when i flex now.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Here's a quick question I asked in another thread, didn't see any answers there though. On my chest/shoulder/tricep day I am performing some rotator cuff exercises. Would you guys recommend these be done before or after the main workout? I noticed in the past that doing them beforehand lessens the amount of reps I can push out during the workout, but I imagine they would be a good way to properly warm up the rotators beforehand. Opinions?
I do my rotator cuff exercises (light weights) after doing a 5 to 10 minute systemic warm-up on recumbent bike, but before I do any lifts involving my shoulder. I had rotator cuff surgery when I was 16 or 17 for torn cartilage and torn ligament. I've been in a hurry before, and tried to skip the rotator cuff exercises and had to stop my work-out and my shoulder complained for a few days afterward.

~Todd

Gollum

Awards
just did legs today...up to 220 20 rep squats, had the entire gym watching me as i grunted my way up with a red face, testicles felt like popping out my nostrils, and i swear i shot my asshole 4" out my ass on the last few. .

LOL!

Thanks for that graphic and exetremely accurate description of a TRUE 20 rep set of squats.

You sir are hardcore. Brutality like that will pay off big time.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
my quads actually still hurt. its freaking sat now. i did this on wed! never been sore this long. my sprints are DONE. i can't continue doing them after hitting legs like this...nope, no way in hell is it possible.

Champ

Champ

Board Supporter
Awards
2g,

I would like to know that while your legs are still busted from a previous workout, when your chest day comes around, do you still perform your scheduled workout for that day or do you wait for other body parts to recover as a whole?

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i continue because chest day doesn't require legs, just chest.

i am going to have to stop the deadlifts and go very lightweight though and higher reps. i broke one of my vertabrae while in the military and slipped a disc. well since that last killer legs day my back is killing me. i'm hoping its from deadlifts and not 20rep squat, but i'll have to wait and see. i couldn't do my 20rep squats this week cause of my back. i might do highrep/lightweight squats and deadlifts and then do killer leg presses eventually. i need to work this out so my back doesn't get injured, but i can still hammer my legs. not sure how i'm gonna alter this, but i have to. so far i'm gonna heal and drop the heavy deadlifts and see what happens.

i only don't workout if that muscle group is sore, a week is normally plenty of time though to heal.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Bump this thread. I've been on the 9 day split for a little over a month, and I've NEVER seen my weights flying up this fast.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i had to buy new shirts, gonna be on XXL's cause of my shoulders/lats pretty soon. its rather funny when i now can't scratch certain parts of my body and have to rub against a wall to reach them. weights are going up everytime i lift also. if you haven't tried osmething like this its worth it, what do you have to lose? then just alter it to your body

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Now if I could CONSISTENTLY shovel in 6000+ calories per day, we're onto something!

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Glad to see some of you guys with the balls to break out of the mold and try something different. You will succeed where many fail. While a 9-day rotation isn't for everyone (I only have maybe 10-20% of my clients on one) nothing works better for those that need it. You sound like you have hit the true essence of leg work. Progress for lower body should be almost linear until the bar starts bending.

Iron Addict

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
IA i did a 20rep squat and deadlifts and well, my legs almost fell off and my back hurt. problem is i hurt my back to the point i couldn't lift for two weeks, i don't think i can do it again to my max at least i don't want to. i did have a major back injury when 18 (broke part of a vertabrae an slipped a disc) and yes guys i still did this routine. **** those who say they have a back injury, i still attempted it. and i don't regret it.

question is now what do i do HEAVY for legs/back? i'm doing leg press 20 rep and till it HURTS and i'm shaking. i still do deadlifts but only with 225 for 10 reps. should i move to dumbell rows till failure to work my back since deads that are HARD are out. just looking for suggestions.

was doing 20 rep squat/deads/calves/heavy abs
now 20 rep leg press/deads/calves/heavy abs/dumbell row till failure? any idea's ia for a guy that doesn't wanna blow his back out?

btw today i am in weight lifting class at school. she used me to demonstrate on the peck deck...too damn bad i'm doing the STACK with reps! never use to come close. i've only been doing few excersizes and 7 days a week. i'm rocking with strength and size! 197 off prohormones...this 6 weeker coming up on prohormones and i'll never be under 200 again. and as i said i'm gonna send IA something for that, w/o him i wouldn't have hit my goal of over 200lbs, but i am having to buy new clothes!

thx ia
corey

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
btw if i wasn't in college i'd definately be a customer of his...if i can get this with just basic stuff i can't imagine what i'd be with exact/personalized help...the track coach and track team is indoors when i lift. today he told me if i was an athelete of his he'd request a roid test on me. i felt honored cause i'm perfectly legal :)

corey

MrTrap

Awards
Man, I love deads, but if your back is hurt don't do them. Lay off them for a bit. On those rare times my back was not up to deads, I did hypers and they seemed to help my back get better. If they get easy you can add some weight and it does help the deads when you go back to them. But let yourself heal or you'll be hurting a long time.

Traps

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
yah, but for balls to the wall lifting what can i do? not squats or deads anymore. i mean i broke part of my spine once and slipped a disc. i just can't beat on it like that again. so wondering what i can do to hammer the back muscles and not so much the spine. ie leg presses and maybe one armed dumbell rows? i'll still do deads, but only at east weights from now on... better then nothing

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Depending on where your back injuries are/were leg presses can be even worse than squatting. I know I commented earlier in the thread, but Smith squats load the back differently than freeweight squats.

The only squat machine that I've tried and liked was Powertec's leverage squat. The range of motion seemed real close to free weight squats.

~Todd