Muscle Building - Let's Speculate For A Moment

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I'm feeling guilty because my shoulders (which both need impingement surgery) are hurting and I need a break. What's REALLY making me guilty is the fact that I'm "ON" - so I feel like I'm really wasting time.

Anyway.. I train on pushes on Monday, pulls on Tuesday and a combination of both - hitting hard anything I didn't get right on the first two days - on Friday. Since I'm taking today to rest - it makes Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday all rest days.

My question is... How many days can a muscle grow before it needs heavy lifting again? Can rest and higher than maintenance calorie intake allow me to grow on each of these five off days? Or does growth potential end faster than that?

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Shall I assume this was a BAD question and give myself one hundred lashings with a wet newdile?

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
HST methods propose lifting weights every 48 hrs. There are other protocols but a guy needs to find what works best for him. Longer than 72 hrs is considered a waste.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
The amount of repair/recovery is a function of many variables. One important one is how much damage your caused during your workout. Another obviously important variable is nutrition. Then test levels, GH/IGF-1 levels (partly a function of sleep), frequency of lifting, etc, etc.

There is no accurate cut 'N dry answer.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, guys. I'll just assume that anything more than 72 hours is wasteful...

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Any more rest than 72 hours, it seems, would be wasteful. In other words, it would be more beneficial to train the body part again than rest any longer... That's what I'm gathering from this discussion, anyway...

cloc

cloc

Awards
  • Established
I wuld not say that anything longer than 72 hours is wasteful! Larger muscle groups require longer recouperation time as im sure you know. I know that when i train legs i am sore for around 6-8 days, but when i train chest im sore for 2-3 days everyone is diff some may benifiet most from hitting each muscle once a week while someone else can grow best hitting a muscle every other day. There are so many diff variables to each individual that there will never be a cut and dry answere IMHO.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Use the force Zero... Listen to your body.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
True, true, true.. I do think I get better results training less often..

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
True, true, true.. I do think I get better results training less often..
Ive started to realise the importance of two HUGE often overlooked aspects of training.

1) IMMEDIATE post workout nutrition. Im talking like have a shake in your locker or go straight home and drink it.

2) Stretching after excercising while warm prevents injuries, decreases recovery time and improves strength. Besides getting monstrous pumps the best ways to get bigger is to flex as hard as you can to stretch the muscle fasia, pump your muscles full and stretch.

I know eating a percentage of protein per pound of body is important but ive eaten relatively small amounts of protein and gotten stronger, while not larger but leaner and stronger.

For long term health, a GOOD multivitamin. Extra oxygen casues free radical formation and a good multivitamin will clean things up and prevent cellular break down general signs of toxicity and several minor and serious health issues up to and including cancer.

Static stretches are for PWO, getting warm and doing moving stretches pre-WO. :buttkick:

When your growing, getting stronger and feeling healthy you will want to train more as well as be able to. I throw in two consecutive rest days twice a week if your worried about it.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.. The only question I have for you is off-topic - it's about the "pump". Do people generally feel the pump is an important factor to growth? Or is this debatable?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.. The only question I have for you is off-topic - it's about the "pump". Do people generally feel the pump is an important factor to growth? Or is this debatable?
I personally train heavy to failure on atleast one set of my first excercise. After that form is the major focus the pump comes fast and its so insane its unavoidable. I attribute this style to my fastest improvements in size and strength. I have at times noted week to week gains in both areas when im rested and eating consistently.

Check out my video log and ask punthra any Q's you like believe me he's one jacked dude and we use the same styles of training.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/114931-somewhatfilms-video-log-4.html#post1781927

Im not a big guy and thats casue my diet is always suspect but i git er done.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Nice video log.. What time do you guys train? Your gym is empty! I'd pay $200.00 a month for a gym that wasn't packed the way LA F'in Fitness is all the time...

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Nice video log.. What time do you guys train? Your gym is empty! I'd pay $200.00 a month for a gym that wasn't packed the way LA F'in Fitness is all the time...

Haha morning around 9:30 am, its usually dead this gym "prince george fitness studio" has three locations so this one is usually quite slow.
It is nice!

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I miss Gold's Gym. I used to go train at 2am and I was the only one there. Just. Me.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Use the force Zero... Listen to your body.
Yes!!:goodpost:

You should never workout just "because you're supposed to today". I often workout earlier than planned if I feel good and later if I don't.

There are just so many factors that go into it. If I get 10 hours of sleep after a leg day I'll be less sore than if I got 7.

cloc

cloc

Awards
  • Established
Many very knowlagable people belive this is a huge factor for growth, some say that stretching the fascia is very effective for new growth. There are sevral training programs that are designed for stretching the fascia. I personaly have been useing a modefied version of FST-7.