Poll: What gave you the most muscle gains from compound excercises(strength NOT a factor)?

What gave you the most PURE hypertrophy from experience?

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. bean how do you know it doesn't work??? YOur too busy doing multiple mid range rep sets. I didn't say do your workout in 20 minutes YOU ADD EXCERCISES DUDE! Thats the point. You move on you don't stick around and fatigue yourself pointelessly on one excercise. Your muscles get the point real soon and thats why you move on. You should aim for at least 5 excercises on a upper body day, i have been doing that lately and in my last workout i was out in 40 minutes Of course i did that one extra short because ive been slightly overtraining lately but my future workouts are still gonna be no more then 50 minutes.

2. Originally posted by pjorstad
    Too many sets for a excercise according to research. Research says you only need 1 to 3 sets with reps between 12-8. If your a hardgainer you only need 1 to 2 IMO.
    OH MAN!....I've been doing it wrong for the past 1.5 years then....oops

I guess that 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps per exercise and 3-4 exercises per bodypart (as outlined in the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding) is too many right?

Research can show whatever it wants to, what actually matters is how it works for me, or you, or anybody for that matter.

LG.  
    Read This Book!!: Anabolic Steroids and the Athlete by William N. Taylor M.D.
    •   

3. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Lifeguard

I guess that 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps per exercise and 3-4 exercises per bodypart
    [/QUOTE

ya LG. im with you on this. a hardgainer doing 1-2 reps per exercise? you better be lifting some heavy heavy crazy weights til failure and beyond and doing a great deal of exercises to reach an a range of hypertrophy man. You can read up on all the research you want, however you ask everyone on this forum which set range is better, most will go with closer to 4 sets, not the 1. Sage

4. Originally posted by pjorstad
    bean how do you know it doesn't work??? YOur too busy doing multiple mid range rep sets. I didn't say do your workout in 20 minutes YOU ADD EXCERCISES DUDE! Thats the point. You move on you don't stick around and fatigue yourself pointelessly on one excercise. Your muscles get the point real soon and thats why you move on. You should aim for at least 5 excercises on a upper body day, i have been doing that lately and in my last workout i was out in 40 minutes Of course i did that one extra short because ive been slightly overtraining lately but my future workouts are still gonna be no more then 50 minutes.
    5 exercises when i'm off androgens per day per bodypart? if i did 5 exercises of different bodyparts i'd only need to work out twice a week

dude thats crazy...

multiple mid range rep sets? HELL YES i did because i was going for strength... and i did pretty damn good with 2 reps of 180lbs up from 1 rep of 155...

you think muscles get fatigued differently when you just do different exercises per bodypart? they still get fatigued either way

name another compound exercise that hits the same muscles as the bench press does... you can't... and you're telling me to do 2 sets? please... thats nowhere near enough.... quote all the research you want; thats not enough training...

i hit 4 exercises on chest day
    flat press 4 sets 8-10 reps
    incline press 3 sets 8-10 reps
    skullcrushers 3 sets 8-10 reps
    crunches 4 sets 8-10 reps

this is perfectly fine for me... it hits my compound exercise and then does some assistance work... i'm still making gains with it even off androgens for only 3 weeks

and i still think you need to do some leg work... if you did 2 sets of squats like you've been saying you might be able to maintain... that still wouldn't even phase me... i've been thinking of upping my 4 sets of squats to 5 sets

i'd also like to know where you came up with the ****ed up idea of 1-2 sets for hardgainers?

5. Originally posted by Bean

i'd also like to know where you came up with the ****ed up idea of 1-2 sets for hardgainers?
    lol... good question though, sounds odd I must say. Also in response to advanced techniques (read: mostly bull**** initially spouted by Weider mags to have something to write about in an attempt to make picking up a lead block sound much more complicated than... picking up a lead block), the only idea I ever really utilize, and have had great success with, is the drop sets approach.
    •   

6. i hit 4 exercises on chest day

Actually that routine is very similiar to what i advocate HOWEVER i would add in
    more excercises and reduce set numbers for the above to 2 and 3 and arrange it in such a way that im out ofthe gym in 40-50 minutes.

7. Originally posted by wardog
    One add on I have found helping my gains is the use of static holds. After your last set, just hold the weight at about the halfway position as long as you can. It hurts, and give a very deep soreness. I try to shoot for 30 seconds to a minute with each static hold.
    Ive alternated these allong with fascia streching, on different workouts. and my workouts are pretty brutal.  im about to switch back to my 225 workout which is just up to 225 for every execrsise applicable like bench, squat, shoulder press, dead lift, shrugs, leg press.  reps till failure 4-5 sets. last bench was 35, 20, 15, 8.  that was the hardest 8 reps ive ever done in my life.  works for me though.

8. Brought back an old ass post :-\

9. Originally posted by Havok
    Brought back an old ass post :-\
    what??

10. lol nothing
    It's not that old
    But this thread was from January begining of February

11. locoangmo, funny icon lol, is that you?

12. Originally posted by Bean

name another compound exercise that hits the same muscles as the bench press does... you can't... and you're telling me to do 2 sets? please... thats nowhere near enough.... quote all the research you want; thats not enough training...

i hit 4 exercises on chest day

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. However.

You just asked him to name another compound exercise that hit the same muscles as the bench press. You then told him he couldn't, while proceeding to do it yourself.

Lemme see.

There's incline, flat, and decline bench. You can do it with varying grips, as well. Then there are incline, flat, and decline dumbbell presses. These can be done supinated, twisting your wrists, so on. You can even do pushups, with a multitude of variations. And last but certainly not least, there are dips.

Furthermore, I don't believe he was recommending doing only 1-2 sets for hardgainers... it seems he was recommending 1-2 sets PER EXERCISE, for hardgainers.

13. HST definitely did it for me, kept me leaner than usual too. Im out of bodybuilding now though.

14. Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
    Im out of bodybuilding now though.
    ?

15. Well, for me, over 10 years training, my best gains have been while doing 20 total sets per workout with 60-90 second rest between. Workout never lasts more than 45 minutes.

4 exercices with 5 sets each per major bodyparts Back and Legs,
    3 exercices of 5 sets for chest
    and 3 of 3-4 for the rest.

Works. Reps vary, from a low of 8 up to 15.

But now I'm trying 4-6 reps with 120 seconds rest... Less sets.

16. 6 years of training of here. I found that doing different things from time to time works better for me. I have success with this strategy

1. Train every muscle 2 times a week for 6 weeks
    2. " " " 1 time a week for 6 weeks
    3. Take one week off and repeat

I use between 5-10 reps all the time. I also rest 2-3 minutes between sets and take a 30 minute power nap every day on top of 8 hours of sleep

17. No he was recommending 1-2 sets per bodypart... TRUST me; this post is old and pj is banned

dont know why this got bumped to the top BUT

if you'd reread what i posted; the BENCH PRESS... not the FLAT press or the INCLINE press... presses in general and all the different variants such as dumbells...

dips are different for different people... they dont do **** on my chest no matter what orientation of my body

take alook at when i posted that
    Last edited by Bean; 09-16-2003 at 01:24 AM.

18. I agree with the bros on the drop sets and supersets....

that's when I get the best workouts and hyper-trophy
  19. Future

My training is full of varied reps.

I generally like do 3-30 reps in a series of 6-10 sets for an exercise.

Example:

Barbell Rows
    135x20
    225x10
    405x5**wanted to push it a tad
    315x15
    315x12
    315x10

Normally, I would add 275 and 225 for two finished sets of 15-25 reps. as well.

I am finding though that the old addage of 8-12 reps really is nice in general while going lower and higher every so often.

20. LUnaHotel ,

with your 20 sets and 60-90 sec rest between sets, are you taking all these sets to failure ?!?

That seem a lot.

21. what do you guys think of doggcrapp training?

This guy advocates only one working set ( plenty of warm ups though) and one exercise per muscle group per session.

the results of his clients spaek for themsleves, we aren't talking weaklings here either....

22. Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    LUnaHotel ,

with your 20 sets and 60-90 sec rest between sets, are you taking all these sets to failure ?!?

That seem a lot.

Yes, it is. But what you will find, is that your heart tends to give up before your muscles, so "failure" is more like a systemic failure than a true muscular failure. It does ensure, from what I know, that GH is released in the greatest quantities.

Load up on the carbs after that, and it gets converted by the liver into IGF-1. :-)

23. Quote Originally Posted by hopkins
    what do you guys think of doggcrapp training?

This guy advocates only one working set ( plenty of warm ups though) and one exercise per muscle group per session.

the results of his clients spaek for themsleves, we aren't talking weaklings here either....
    Does he take all his sets to failure,because this was being talked about over at Meso and i didn't understand what the hell they were talking about. I thought DC advocated a Heavy Duty workout but guys over there said he didn't take his sets to failure,used more than one set per muscle group. Not that i really care what the guy does just wondering why they like argueing with me over there

24. No fromwhat i understand ( I have spent some time studyinmg his techniques) he does one set forr each muscle group per workout.

Of course his routines allow many warm up sets ( sometimes 4 - 5 ) to prime you for the real set.
    The real set is extremely heavy duty!! You are training with slow negatives and explosive positives and after going to failure, you do some deep breathing and ( this takes less than a minute) stretching and try to push out a few motre reps.

These working sets are incomparable to what most people conisder to failure. after doing these consecutive sets are almost pointless as your reps should have dropped way down ( as you have exerted so much effort).
    His routines rely on making gains EVERY workout or switching the movement to another exercise. I am just stratingt this raining method so i will be sure to let you know how it goes.

25. Sounds especially good for strength. How about natural size gains though? Do some of you guys have info on that?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-20-2016, 03:09 PM
  2. Topic of the Week: What has helped you the most?
    By Admin in forum Supplements
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-12-2015, 11:26 PM
  3. What stack put the most MASS on for you?
    By iSwole in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
  4. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 12:04 AM