Poll: What gave you the most muscle gains from compound excercises(strength NOT a factor)?

What gave you the most PURE hypertrophy from experience?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

6 years of training of here. I found that doing different things from time to time works better for me. I have success with this strategy

1. Train every muscle 2 times a week for 6 weeks
    2. " " " 1 time a week for 6 weeks
    3. Take one week off and repeat

I use between 5-10 reps all the time. I also rest 2-3 minutes between sets and take a 30 minute power nap every day on top of 8 hours of sleep

2. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.12%

No he was recommending 1-2 sets per bodypart... TRUST me; this post is old and pj is banned

dont know why this got bumped to the top BUT

if you'd reread what i posted; the BENCH PRESS... not the FLAT press or the INCLINE press... presses in general and all the different variants such as dumbells...

dips are different for different people... they dont do **** on my chest no matter what orientation of my body

take alook at when i posted that
    Last edited by Bean; 09-16-2003 at 01:24 AM.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.22%

I agree with the bros on the drop sets and supersets....

that's when I get the best workouts and hyper-trophy
    •   

4. Future

My training is full of varied reps.

I generally like do 3-30 reps in a series of 6-10 sets for an exercise.

Example:

Barbell Rows
    135x20
    225x10
    405x5**wanted to push it a tad
    315x15
    315x12
    315x10

Normally, I would add 275 and 225 for two finished sets of 15-25 reps. as well.

I am finding though that the old addage of 8-12 reps really is nice in general while going lower and higher every so often.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.9%

LUnaHotel ,

with your 20 sets and 60-90 sec rest between sets, are you taking all these sets to failure ?!?

That seem a lot.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.75%

what do you guys think of doggcrapp training?

This guy advocates only one working set ( plenty of warm ups though) and one exercise per muscle group per session.

the results of his clients spaek for themsleves, we aren't talking weaklings here either....
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    LUnaHotel ,

with your 20 sets and 60-90 sec rest between sets, are you taking all these sets to failure ?!?

That seem a lot.

Yes, it is. But what you will find, is that your heart tends to give up before your muscles, so "failure" is more like a systemic failure than a true muscular failure. It does ensure, from what I know, that GH is released in the greatest quantities.

Load up on the carbs after that, and it gets converted by the liver into IGF-1. :-)
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

Quote Originally Posted by hopkins
    what do you guys think of doggcrapp training?

This guy advocates only one working set ( plenty of warm ups though) and one exercise per muscle group per session.

the results of his clients spaek for themsleves, we aren't talking weaklings here either....
    Does he take all his sets to failure,because this was being talked about over at Meso and i didn't understand what the hell they were talking about. I thought DC advocated a Heavy Duty workout but guys over there said he didn't take his sets to failure,used more than one set per muscle group. Not that i really care what the guy does just wondering why they like argueing with me over there
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.75%

No fromwhat i understand ( I have spent some time studyinmg his techniques) he does one set forr each muscle group per workout.

Of course his routines allow many warm up sets ( sometimes 4 - 5 ) to prime you for the real set.
    The real set is extremely heavy duty!! You are training with slow negatives and explosive positives and after going to failure, you do some deep breathing and ( this takes less than a minute) stretching and try to push out a few motre reps.

These working sets are incomparable to what most people conisder to failure. after doing these consecutive sets are almost pointless as your reps should have dropped way down ( as you have exerted so much effort).
    His routines rely on making gains EVERY workout or switching the movement to another exercise. I am just stratingt this raining method so i will be sure to let you know how it goes.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Sounds especially good for strength. How about natural size gains though? Do some of you guys have info on that?
  11. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Its called increasing TUT and using ratios that emphasize slow eccentric actions. Its nothing new and will have a postive effect on myofibrillar hypertrophy. What is funny is seeing people think you can have 2 types of responses by having a explosive concentric action and slow eccetric action. The body doesn't work that way.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.96%

Quote Originally Posted by LunaHotel
    Sounds especially good for strength. How about natural size gains though? Do some of you guys have info on that?
    Well i know DC himself is a HUGE cat. The program is linked from Ironaddicts site if anyone is interested. Just look at the "cycles for pennies" article on ironaddicts web site. Ironaddict recommends similar a training style.
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I have been doing two body parts a day, 8-10 sets per major bodypart, 6-9 sets for small things like Bis and tris. So anywhere from 14-19 total sets, depending on how I feel. My rep range is usually between 8 and 15. How does this sound?
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Its called increasing TUT and using ratios that emphasize slow eccentric actions. Its nothing new and will have a postive effect on myofibrillar hypertrophy. What is funny is seeing people think you can have 2 types of responses by having a explosive concentric action and slow eccetric action. The body doesn't work that way.
    Wouldn't a fast concentric be better for strength and slow eccentric,being more TUT,be better for size?
  15. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Yes, you are correct but some believe you can combine those and get the benefits of both stimulus and it doesn't work like that. Doing the slow eccentric will supercede any fast explsoive concentric movement (in terms of strenght stimulus) because the overall TUT is increased. Therefore the response to that exercise BECAUSE of the increased in TUT will result predominantly in a growth stimulus. You will get stronger form the simple fact that muscle thickness is increased but its not anything like pure strenght training.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

got ya.... i've been wanting to ask you what you thought about power factor training,if i didn't already ask. I don't mean partial reps just the amount of work done in a given time. Basically the power factor and power index. For example: 1 guy benches 300lbs for 8 reps and another guy benches 200lbs for 13 reps. Which one is better for size? ... or does that basically fall under TUT? Is it true that one needs at least 50% weight or more of their 1 rep max in order to recruit all muscle fiber types and does that mean you don't need to go heavier in order to increase muscle size?
  17. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

The guy benching for 8 reos will have more myofibrillar hypertrophy while the guy who uses 13 reps will incorporate more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. If you are looking for pure musce growth, the 8 rep one is better.

TUT will stimulate a growth response but the more reps and lighter weight the less change if increasing muscle thickness. It is still a growth response for its more for increasing nutrient capacity than increasing fiber thickness.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

I can't think right now but i was going to mention if it was more sarcoplasmic.. doing the 13 reps. Where did you learn all this? I mean where did you learn the things you know about BBing and diet? ... If i were to work for increasing only sarcoplasmic hypertrophy i would also get an increase in myofibrillar hypertrophy right and increase in strength from muscle size and uptake of more nutrients? I like drop sets alot and i want to stick with those. Supersets too. i don't want much weight just endurance stamina..... mostly a solid gain. i gotta go thanks for the info. i appreciate it
  19. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I learned it in school and my own experience. If you trained for pure sarcoplasmic hypertrophy then myofibrillar hypertrophy would be minimal and strenght increase (neural stimulation) would be minimal as well. IF you want both then follow a program that utilized periodiziation.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.9%

For those who are in search of getting bigger and bigger, bobo is right, it's all about periodization. I suggest you to read about Lyle McDonald - Periodization for bodybuilders Part I , II , III. A lot of my question has been answered through this article, and I correct my training program yesterday. After reading his article, I did understand why last year I have made good progress with the strength issue but didnt put as much mass as I wanted to.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

The fastest strength increase for me was while using a heavy duty type program. My rep range was between 12-15 with only 4 sets per week for each muscle. I was also using machines and no free weights because i was training along taking each set to failure. Do you think that strength increase was do to sarcoplasmic hyertrophy or increased nerve function because i didn't gain any size? I wasn't checking strength increases but when a friend of mine was benching and asked me for help,i thought i'd see what my max was and i was surprised to see my bench jump 30lbs in just a few weeks. I was natural at that time and was no where close to my max muscular weight. I wasn't training to failure before the HD workout and i thought it was just the increased intensity that did it...... If two guys were to train with reps ranges from 15-20 but only one guy took his sets to failure,what would be the outcome as far as results?
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.9%

I think you didnt increase in mass with your only 4 sets per muscle 15-20 reps because the total time under tension and isnt high enough to promote muscle growth. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is more gear for fatigue, so you need to do a high total work (law of physic).

I could be wrong, but only 4 sets for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy isnt enough.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

I think you didnt increase in mass with your only 4 sets per muscle 15-20 reps because the total time under tension and isnt high enough to promote muscle growth. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is more gear for fatigue, so you need to do a high total work (law of physic).

I could be wrong, but only 4 sets for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy isnt enough.
    So,my guess is that the increased strength came from increase nerve function because each set was taken to failure. I don't mind that. All i want is about 10-15 more lbs of muscle and functional strength for every day activities(job mostly).
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.9%

My advice would be to make a training program with periodization. I dont know if its in this thread that I put the reference of Lyle McDonald article, but take a good read at it :

http://www.pardeus.biz/magmain.php?i...=17&pageID=198

I rearrange my program, and since then, I gain about 4 lbs of muscle without an once of my stomach. It doesnt mean a lot, but since I did the pretty same thing all past year (or about the same), I wish some change because I didnt gain as much mass as I wanted, but now Im confident that I will be successful.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

My advice would be to make a training program with periodization. I dont know if its in this thread that I put the reference of Lyle McDonald article, but take a good read at it :

http://www.pardeus.biz/magmain.php?i...=17&pageID=198

I rearrange my program, and since then, I gain about 4 lbs of muscle without an once of my stomach. It doesnt mean a lot, but since I did the pretty same thing all past year (or about the same), I wish some change because I didnt gain as much mass as I wanted, but now Im confident that I will be successful.
    Yeah,John Parrillo recommened starting off training like a power lifter does and ending with training the way a BBer does..... Tom PLatz recommened Micro periodization all squeezzed into 1 week intervals.... I change my workout probably more than anyone here mainly because i get bored very fast :-) I'm going to stick with reps above 12 right now,take each set close to failure,and shorten my rest periods alot. I think that will get me what i'm looking for right now. I'll see where i'm going to go from there.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Manwhore
    Yeah,John Parrillo recommened starting off training like a power lifter does and ending with training the way a BBer does..... Tom PLatz recommened Micro periodization all squeezzed into 1 week intervals.... I change my workout probably more than anyone here mainly because i get bored very fast :-) I'm going to stick with reps above 12 right now,take each set close to failure,and shorten my rest periods alot. I think that will get me what i'm looking for right now. I'll see where i'm going to go from there.
    Yes, sir... That shortened rest will cause a good deal of GH release. If you combine that with high-GI carbs IMMEDIATELY post-workout, you'll get insulin right when your GH is high, which, of course, as everyone knows, will let your liver turn your GH into all-precious IGF-1.

That's the key, IMO.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.23%

Quote Originally Posted by LunaHotel
    Yes, sir... That shortened rest will cause a good deal of GH release. If you combine that with high-GI carbs IMMEDIATELY post-workout, you'll get insulin right when your GH is high, which, of course, as everyone knows, will let your liver turn your GH into all-precious IGF-1.

That's the key, IMO.
    Well,since the baby,the only rest i've been short on is my nights rest :-) He's starting to sleep more at night,so i'm thinking of starting a workout again. Right now i'm thinking of sticking with Mentzers HD. Who knows what i'll want to do next week :-) As long as i start some kind of workout,i'll feel much better. I have a pretty healthy diet but my belly isn't looking too good these days.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.89%

Quote Originally Posted by wardog
    One add on I have found helping my gains is the use of static holds. After your last set, just hold the weight at about the halfway position as long as you can. It hurts, and give a very deep soreness. I try to shoot for 30 seconds to a minute with each static hold.
    I'm not sure static holds are always a good idea, or should I say, they might be a complete waste of time. If you're doing skull crushers for example, when you are at the finished position the wieght is being held mostly by bone on bone contact. Perhaps something with constant tension this would be effective, but not for everything.
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.89%

For me, anywhere from 4-8 reps, about two minutes rest and always striving to add weight when I could.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.17%

Drop sets for any exercise I have done have always giving me the edge for growth!!!
  31. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.12%

Quote Originally Posted by skoal
    I'm not sure static holds are always a good idea, or should I say, they might be a complete waste of time. If you're doing skull crushers for example, when you are at the finished position the wieght is being held mostly by bone on bone contact. Perhaps something with constant tension this would be effective, but not for everything.
    yep it's definately only for "certain" exercises. static holds on wide grip lat pulldowns have done wonders for me, also, any good formed db press, bb curls, military, and there are others. it definately has its place!
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.96%

Quote Originally Posted by skoal
    Well a static at the complete top for any pressing movement would be useless. The same goes for squats, leg presses, etc. That's not how statics are done though. Done correctly you would unlock the associated joint therefore forcing the muscles to hold the weight. Try skull crushers at the upper 2/3 of the movement with loads of weight on and I assure you that you will feel differently.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.21%

The best thing I ever used for pure mass was a workout system by Leo Costa called Big Beyond Belief. I'm sure a few of you have heard of it. This came out almost 10 years ago.
  34. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.31%

It's true, that program kicked serious ass, including MINE. Hey did you do the 2x a day, 6 days a week one? It is SICK.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.21%

Quote Originally Posted by ss01
    It's true, that program kicked serious ass, including MINE. Hey did you do the 2x a day, 6 days a week one? It is SICK.
    No, just stuck to the 4 days a week programs.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.96%

Quote Originally Posted by andro69
    The best thing I ever used for pure mass was a workout system by Leo Costa called Big Beyond Belief. I'm sure a few of you have heard of it. This came out almost 10 years ago.
    You wouldn't happen to have a pdf version of that kicking around would you? I remember the program being in the mags years ago but it seemed to have died off rather quickly.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    You wouldn't happen to have a pdf version of that kicking around would you? I remember the program being in the mags years ago but it seemed to have died off rather quickly.
    Sorry, wish I did. I haven't seen the book in like 5 years so I couldn't give an accurate description of it.
  38. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.31%

The way I remember it, there was a lot of "recall" work. That is, say on day 1 you do legs, then on day 2 you have a few sets of legs, and on day 3 also. None on day 4. But it was way more complicated that that. Loved it. Would love to do it again for a bulking cycle in the future.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.96%

Quote Originally Posted by andro69
    Sorry, wish I did. I haven't seen the book in like 5 years so I couldn't give an accurate description of it.
    I know this is alot to ask you to do but could you describe the 4 day program to the best of your memory?
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    I know this is alot to ask you to do but could you describe the 4 day program to the best of your memory?
    From what I can remember it was something like this-

Day1-3 sets, 13-15 reps, 90 sec between sets, legs, back, biceps
    Day2-same as above but chest, delts, tris
    Day3-3 sets thighs, back, chest. 2 sets delts, bi's, tri's, 10-12 reps 120 sec between sets.
    Day4-same sets as day 3 but reps are 5-7 and 3 minutes rest between sets.

Calves and abs were somewhere in there but can't remember where. I'm sure this isn't accurate, just what I vaguely remember.

Similar Forum Threads

1. What stack put the most MASS on for you?
    By iSwole in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 12:04 AM
  4. What would be the most powerful legal stack?
    By sarcoplasm in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 11:51 AM