Hanging weights during pull-ups/dips...

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys,

Just wondering, apart from using a hook off a lifting-belt... does anyone have any suggestions how I can hang weights off myself while doing pull ups / dips?

I tried 5kg/11lbs today on dips... hanging off my shorts with the string tied tight so they wouldnt fall off but I dont wana risk my pants ripping at the gym...

Personally I'm not looking at a belt atm even tho I dead/squat/t-bar etc, I'm trying to get as far as I can "naturally" to develop as much core as I can...

So all suggestions will be welcome!

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
If the dumbbell isn't too heavy you can hold it between your knees or feet and bend your legs 90 degrees at the knee so the weight doesn't touch the floor.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Agree with warsteiner's DB approach above.

However...
I'm trying to get as far as I can "naturally" to develop as much core as I can...

So all suggestions will be welcome!
My suggestion is... What are you talking about?! Buy a belt and load it up with weight. And progressively add weight over time. That'll develop your "core" as well as the rest of your musculature. Lifting with added weight isn't developing "naturally?" Dude, get a clue ...or go to the Crossfit site.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
no i meant i dont want a belt for squats/deads as i rather stabilize everything myself without any belt assistance... so i kinda find it poitnless to buy a belt just for dips/pullups!

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Why...? A dip belt is not the same as squat belt. And, guaranteed, it ain't pointless. Adding a dip/pull-up belt for ~$18 is a great investment if you plan to left for any longer than 6 months over your lifetime. Orders of magnitude better efficacy than any 30 day supply of supplements that you could buy...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed, dip belt is the way to go

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
You could always just get a pair of Jump Stretch bands and loop them behind your traps, but its not much different then a belt. If you really want to be cheap about it you can go to Harbor Freight or a similar discount tool store and just buy a six foot webbing lifting strap and a caribeener.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
You could always just get a pair of Jump Stretch bands and loop them behind your traps, but its not much different then a belt. If you really want to be cheap about it you can go to Harbor Freight or a similar discount tool store and just buy a six foot webbing lifting strap and a caribeener.
I'd love to see someone do that in my gym. I'd know what they were doing but everyone else would be like "wtf mate?"

Buy a chain belt, it's the only way you'll be able to use heavy weights effectively and safely.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Its funny whenever I am at my commercial gym using the bands people always are trying to be tough and want to try and showing my up by putting a 45lb plate on a belt and doing a few reps. Most the time I shrug it off but every once in a while I convince someone to try doing dips with a doubled mini band and they just get pinned down lol, then I really insult them and use an average band and a mini together lol.

As for the chain dipping belt vs using the webbing, I actually prefer the webbing for heavier weights. With the chain belt I have had the belt itself leave some nasty welts on my hips and the chain pinch my legs enough to actually draw blood, with the webbing I have loaded up to 225lbs comfortably and safely. The only downside to the webbing is that it is a pain in the @ss to switch your weights or share the belt with someone. Currently I use a very old leather squat belt that i tweaked a bit so that I can make it wider on my hips, this prevents the chain from biting the inside of legs.

keeplloyd

Awards
no i meant i dont want a belt for squats/deads as i rather stabilize everything myself without any belt assistance... so i kinda find it poitnless to buy a belt just for dips/pullups!
You are speaking of two different products. One (the one you don't want) simply is a regular belt you would put on your pants, but much larger. The other (what you want - a dip belt) has a leather back and a thin metal chain on the front that you cant attach/detach to hang weights easily around your hips. A dip belt wont help you stablize your body, you will have to do so (and it will be harder because of the external resistance).

CRcatcher06

Awards
I have never even thought about the bands. I might have to try that. I have always used the dip belt and that has worked great for me so far.

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
how do you use the bands? just strap it onto the handles of the dip bar and over your shoulders/across the back of your neck?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Ii I didnt have a dip belt id just put a dumbell between my knees and bend legs as stated above.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
how do you use the bands? just strap it onto the handles of the dip bar and over your shoulders/across the back of your neck?
Yeah, it is definitely more comfortable if you get it over your traps and not your neck

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
here i was thinking id take some thin strong rope in my pocket, and just tie it around my hips tighly and hand weight off like that... haha... argh

im only hanging like 11lbs / 5kg atm so its not heavy... but yea... hmm

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
I dont see it as pointless if you get the results you want. Belts arent that expensive anyway.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you don't need much weight, just grab an old sweater where both hands have the adjoining pocket thing, and just shove a dumbell in there :)

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I've seen guys at the gym put a DB between their feet or knees. I've never tried it but seems to work for them. Dip belt does sound good though.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
if you don't need much weight, just grab an old sweater where both hands have the adjoining pocket thing, and just shove a dumbell in there :)
haha awesome idea.. i could cram it with a few 2.5kg disks... probly coming close to 10kg...

that... and the fact its a good 100-110 degrees here in australia atm... so i think that option is out for a few months... even in winter im always in shorts n a t-shirt :(

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
haha awesome idea.. i could cram it with a few 2.5kg disks... probly coming close to 10kg...

that... and the fact its a good 100-110 degrees here in australia atm... so i think that option is out for a few months... even in winter im always in shorts n a t-shirt :(
rats! it worked well for me in the past, though i wouldn't be crazy enough to try it in the summer either.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
haha its a good idea for light weights but... i come home with my boxers covered in sweat, singlet soaked and socks wet just from lifting here even tho im in shorts n a tshirt... no chance in hell this time of the year!

aceroni

Awards
buy a belt man. squatting without one is like deadlifting without chalk. you only are increasing your risk of injury, not strengthing you core.
if you want a strong core, squat deep, do heavy deads (both with a belt) then train your abs with something like standing band abs / seated wide stance hipflexor situps..
then hammer that lowerback with reverse hypers, 45degree hypers, and good mornings (both seated and standing, arched back and flat back)

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
buy a belt man. squatting without one is like deadlifting without chalk. you only are increasing your risk of injury, not strengthing you core.
if you want a strong core, squat deep, do heavy deads (both with a belt) then train your abs with something like standing band abs / seated wide stance hipflexor situps..
then hammer that lowerback with reverse hypers, 45degree hypers, and good mornings (both seated and standing, arched back and flat back)
thread is 3 years old, lol